PCM tuners, inside please!

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
Folks,

I'm contemplating putting a fuel cell in my hooptie, and have a (hopefully) quick and simple fuel pump question.

Rather than taking a stock pump, and breaking it into a million pieces, then fabricating a mount inside the fuel cell, is there any issue with using an Aeromotive 340 fuel pump without additional tuning? The pump itself is a turbine-style unit, and is specifically listed as compatible with PWM systems, like ours using a stock FPDM.

I don't want to go to a return-style fuel system for a variety of reasons, particularly on a stock-internal 4.6L 3V. I think it would be pure overkill, and the complexity and cost of implementing would be undesirable.

The 340 would be a piece of cake to mount in a surge box inside the cell, using a sock pre-filter, then tie the cell outlet into the stock fuel line (and filter) with a -8 weld-on bung. Bang, done. I hope.

If that won't work, any suggestions of what might?

Mike Rousch

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Dave, to answer your question yes you can drop that pump right in for what you are doing. I would highly suggest going with a different style pump though simply for longevity. That pump seems to last about a year or two tops. Or atleast carry a spare to the track with you.

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
Mike: Thanks for the info on that pump! Any recommendations on a more dependable unit? Endurance racing means a pump failure is virtually a race-ender...

Lito: I appreciate the recommendation, but I may make the move to a remote-refuel setup, and that kind of custom cell (I'd need an FT3 or FT3.5 certified bladder) would be difficult to mod with off-the-shelf parts.

lito

forum member
Reaction score
Yes, any electronic return less compatible walbro from a trusted source (so you won't get a faux one) should do, it's a shame they discontinued the 305 one.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00TD using Tapatalk

lito

forum member
Reaction score
Forgot to add, if you go too high on the pump you may have issues if you can't adjust the calibration per the rules, it will keep the pressure without issues but once you lift it may tend to command the pump off and not recover fast enough and have a pressure drop during shifts because of this.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00TD using Tapatalk

jayel579

forum member
Reaction score
Endurance racing means a pump failure is virtually a race-ender...

Dave, we run a pretty high output pump in our car, Bosch Motorsports pump of some kind but I am not sure which one off hand. I pretty sure it'll support 600+hp cars which is plenty for the ~230 hp motor in our E30 BMW. We are also in the process of putting in a fuel cell as well.

You've been doing this so I am sure you know but endurance racing = over engineer it!

lito

forum member
Reaction score
Thinking a little more on this, you could run a mechanical returnless with the pump of your choice inside your fuel cell and leave the single fuel line stock, you will leave FPDM connected and all, quite probably will have a fuel delivery code (P019x) but that won't mess with any torque control or else.

Don't know if that is against the rules.

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
Not a rules issue at all: Just don't want to invest in another $500+ custom dyno tuning session to change a fuel pump when the tune is ABSOLUTELY perfect... Just need more fuel capacity!!! 15.8gals at our consumption rate yields ~70 minutes of run time without conservation measures, which is just too short of a stint in a race that lasts between 3.5 and 12 hours.

Worst case, I take a stock pump and hack off everything we don't need before mounting it in the cell!

The FT3 or FT3.5 bladder, on the other hand, IS a rule. Safety related.

Lito: You're suggesting running a basic regulator inline between the cell and the motor, without doing a return circuit, right? Possibly a good plan B!!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back