Piston discussion

46addict

Reaction score
And factory stock performance leaves me wanting more.
But losing an engine would be more expensive than losing track time, so point taken.

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
Okay, Down to Molnars from apocalypse($612) and Ross racing from Modmax with pins and rings ($699).

Or Molnars and Forged 4032 from Mahel or whatever big company will do them but for a cost I can see being worth it. If not a good enough price then will just go with a fresh set of ross racing 2618 forged.

Next is
http://www.modularmotorsportsracing...in_page=product_info&cPath=13&products_id=765
or
http://www.modularmotorsportsracing...in_page=product_info&cPath=13&products_id=766

Depending its worth it to get manley rods over MMR's rods for an extra $100

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
But losing an engine would be more expensive than losing track time, so point taken.

A stock coyote is more than enough for to keep me entertained at a road course. A stock pushrod 5.0, even a built NA

The stock coyote is making roughly the same power as my FI fox. Part of the reasons why I went with the swap. ;)

46addict

Reaction score
It sounds like they were properly sceptic though, if RTV started up top. Where else would it have been used if not for the timing cover? That’s a tough situation for anyone and any business, and your local dealer or even a lawn mower shop would give just as much of a raised eyebrow.
I haven't bought anything from MMR so I have no dog in the fight, but do you really think RTV can get past the rings, the oil pickup, and the oil filter and end up back in the head? Do you realize the texture of RTV once it dries, and how small of a gap there is between the cylinder and the piston ring?

raredesign

forum member
Reaction score
I haven't bought anything from MMR so I have no dog in the fight, but do you really think RTV can get past the rings, the oil pickup, and the oil filter and end up back in the head? Do you realize the texture of RTV once it dries, and how small of a gap there is between the cylinder and the piston ring?

No I don’t, and I’m not arguing specifics; merely pointing out there is often more to the situation than portrayed by the one accusing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
No I don’t, and I’m not arguing specifics; merely pointing out there is often more to the situation than portrayed by the one accusing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I can tell you i have used their 4v replacement keyed cam gears in a build and they were junk. Two of them split from installation before they would accept the recommended torque value of the cam bolt. The gears showed up with no special instructions and in a plain box.
MMR said you have to "fit" each gear with a dremel so they don't interfere with the cam. Meaning they aren't finished machined and require "fitment"...a cam gear. Name one other application this would be required from a engineered product for a specific application that.
They sent me the replacement gears for free, but the whole thing could have been avoid with a simple instruction sheet or one more step in the manufacturing process.

IMG_8276.JPG

raredesign

forum member
Reaction score
I can tell you i have used their 4v replacement keyed cam gears in a build and they were junk. Two of them split from installation before they would accept the recommended torque value of the cam bolt. The gears showed up with no special instructions and in a plain box.
MMR said you have to "fit" each gear with a dremel so they don't interfere with the cam. Meaning they aren't finished machined and require "fitment"...a cam gear. Name one other application this would be required from a engineered product for a specific application that.
They sent me the replacement gears for free, but the whole thing could have been avoid with a simple instruction sheet or one more step in the manufacturing process.

View attachment 66947

Glad to hear they sent a replacement.

For your consideration, when I started this build, I found my block had been cracked from a mechanic having over-torqued some bolts during a TSB repair. Obviously upset, I childishly took to Facebook about it and was corrected by a friend who is quite respected in this industry, and he suggested I give them a chance first. Long story short, the dealership worked with me and took me at my word, funding half the price of a replacement block, even though that mechanic is no longer with the dealership. Now that I am thinking rationally, I realize they went above and beyond, and could have simply told me to go away, but the fact that they even covered half is truly awesome.
I highly recommend them partly for that reason and left them a 5 star review.

Someone else may have felt they should owe them the world, and obviously there are those that had they received a full replacement block, would still leave negative feedback on the Internet.
I don't want to be that guy.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Glad to hear they sent a replacement.

For your consideration, when I started this build, I found my block had been cracked from a mechanic having over-torqued some bolts during a TSB repair. Obviously upset, I childishly took to Facebook about it and was corrected by a friend who is quite respected in this industry, and he suggested I give them a chance first. Long story short, the dealership worked with me and took me at my word, funding half the price of a replacement block, even though that mechanic is no longer with the dealership. Now that I am thinking rationally, I realize they went above and beyond, and could have simply told me to go away, but the fact that they even covered half is truly awesome.
I highly recommend them partly for that reason and left them a 5 star review.

Someone else may have felt they should owe them the world, and obviously there are those that had they received a full replacement block, would still leave negative feedback on the Internet.
I don't want to be that guy.
I did not install the cam gear improperly, they are not finish machined and sold without instructions of any kind. They broke while being torqued to a cam in a fixture. If you know about the 4v heads they are keyless, requiring a very specific tool set to set up the engine. These keyed gears are supposed to eliminate the need for that.
It's odd to me that you are stuck on the "customer service" and basically refuse to acknowledge the large number of failed parts and builds straight from the horse's mouth.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I don't know what has been a better thread this year, this one or heaton m90's max effort build!!!

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
That keyed gear looks not bad - what the heck were they expecting you to grind on!?

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
That keyed gear looks not bad - what the heck were they expecting you to grind on!?
The back side of the gear isn't machines to sit flush against the cam, I had to shave the gear basically. Mostly around the key.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
that is an error. That wouldn't need to be be anything but flat, would it!? Total bodge.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
This is the other gear that broke during installation. Again, we never achieved the specified torque value.
I believe it was the key itself that was too long and caused the gear to break outward from the keyed slot, to be honest it's been a couple of years.IMG_7526.jpg IMG_7527.jpg

Back