Planning my next wheel setup...

Kaldar142

Reaction score
Whats the absolute widest wheel width/offset i can run in the rear and front?

I could be totally wrong, but in order to run a 10.5" wheel upfront based on how my 10" sits with a +41 offset, i would need +30 or lower, right?

i want to get a custom set of CCWs or Fikses (or some high-end wheel) and run the widest possible setup, ideally it would be a 10.5" front with a 295 or 305 and 12" wide rear with a 335. I will most likely be running Nitto NT05s (love this tire!!) What offset would i need in the rear?

At the same time, i realise i could be setting myself up for understeer, but wouldn't i be able to dial it out with suspension tuning? Not to mention i am running -2.6 camber up front...and i have a blower. This car is a street car first, track car second. I plan on having a ton of power in the future, so putting some wider tires out back may be beneficial for me.

I also want the wheels to be extremely aggressive looking... poking out a bit, but not like a whole inch poking out, the fronts are crucially cambered in so i feel it won't appear to be sticking out that much.

I've been reading around, and someone said 18x10.5 +50 with a 13mm spacer fits upfront

Someone has also said that a 18x10 +40 with a 9mm spacer will fit 315/30s upfront

Thoughts and opinions please?

Also;

Thoughts on running a 295/35/18 on my current 18x10 +41s all around? Right now my 285/35s seem to be an almost perfect fit but they dont sit 100% square with the wheel, i think i would be able to jump to a 295 and not have it bubble. The 295 would be nice for added traction, running 3.90s and 467whp can get squirrely sometimes.

The wheels i'm looking at are the CCW classics in black, CCW SP500 in polished or gloss black, Fikse Profil 10, Fikse FM10... also open to other suggestions

Last edited:

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
CCW has experience making custom offsets for the 05+ Mustangs - just tell them what size tires you want to run and they'll provide you with a few options, etc. I ordered two sets of wheels (street and track) for my vette - good bunch of guys. I believe they provide wheels for American Iron and CMC race cars, so they're familiar with custom offsets for our application.

DusterRT

Defected to Deutsche
Reaction score
CCW has experience making custom offsets for the 05+ Mustangs - just tell them what size tires you want to run and they'll provide you with a few options, etc. I ordered two sets of wheels (street and track) for my vette - good bunch of guys. I believe they provide wheels for American Iron and CMC race cars, so they're familiar with custom offsets for our application.

A while back I was thinking about a set, I called CCW and asked roughly this same question earlier this year; they said you can't go wider than a 9.5" in the front. This isn't true (obviously, since there are numerous people running 10" up front), so I would take their input as...well, input, and not the end authority on the matter. I decided since I've already got two sets of my current wheels, $3k for new wheels was at the bottom of my priority list so I didn't proceed.

I was talking to someone about this a while back though..they are running 10.5's with 35mm offset (no pics, and yes they stick out just a little), and seemed to think 11's would fit (albeit, very tight in front), but you'd need to use spacers in front if you wanted to have all 4 wheels with the same offset so you can rotate. 55mm offset and a 20mm spacer in front was what he thought would be a good starting point (this is an untested setup AFAIK, proceed with caution). Of course, that's a considerable amount of spacer to use in the front. All depends on how much that extra inch is worth to you (that's what she said :boobies:).

Kaldar142

Reaction score
Yeah... i'm running 10" with no prob, i'll need to do some more research for sure but i am dead set on going with an extremely aggressive setup.

10" up front is nice, but i REALLY want 10.5" atleast. i know there are people out there running it.

fhlh

Grabber? Don't Know Her!
Reaction score
Dibs on your current set if you plan on selling :)

foolio2k4

forum member
Reaction score
judging by your pic your wheels are at the absolute widest it will go out. If you have some room left in the inside well. then yeah you would need less offset.

http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp

use this to determine how much more mm of space you might need.

I guess another option would be to pull the fender a little bit or maybe roll them some more if its possible.

Best of luck to you on this.

Philostang

Chrome Hater
Reaction score
You might also find this calculator helpful, as it allows you to input your current wheel figures along side your proposed figures to automatically see the difference.
http://gs.tolan-hoechst.com/Tire-Wheel Combination Calculator.htm

And this one does the same, but with a pretty slick graphics simulation
http://www.wheelsmaster.com/rt_specs.jsp

And `tis the season to be totally honest...I'm green over here. Wish I could get a set of CCWs for the car...Santa? Santa, are you listening? Deaf ole` bat.

Best,
-j

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
...A while back I was thinking about a set, I called CCW and asked roughly this same question earlier this year; they said you can't go wider than a 9.5" in the front. This isn't true (obviously, since there are numerous people running 10" up front), so I would take their input as...well, input, and not the end authority on the matter. I decided since I've already got two sets of my current wheels, $3k for new wheels was at the bottom of my priority list so I didn't proceed....

CCW can also create customized wheels based on your specifications. For example, if you want to create a set based on the Roush 18x10 +45mm Trak Pak wheels, they can do that too. High quality wheels - strong and light for a reasonable price. I'm very happy with my two sets of C14 Corsair wheels for my Corvette. However, I don't plan to go that route for my Mustang GT. I'm leaning toward the Enkei RPF-1 (18x9.5 +45mm) with 275/35-18 tires all around. Half the price for a strong light weight wheel that should have no issue clearing big brake kits.

NOTE: Personally, I avoid using spacers on road courses because you moving the wheels out beyond the metal hub centric rim on the wheel hubs, which places all the lateral stresses on the wheel studs. IMHO, if you're not using hardened ARP studs when using a spacer, this could become a safety issue when using R compound tires.

Last edited:

Kaldar142

Reaction score
I'm leaning heavily towards the CCW classics... really lightweight too, 18x12 = 21lbs :)

I found someone whose running 18x10.5 up front, so i'm just waiting to hear back from them

marksti

forum member
Reaction score
CCW , FORGELINE, Jolineblod ( I know my spellings wrong)...All great, custom wheel places...all can make wheels to spec and help with fitment specs.

Problem is, if your on a budget since you lookin at $2800-4000 for a set for the entry level wheels...and they are little heavier then some of the 17-18#' 18 by 9.5 out there like the RPF1s or the TR motorsport wheels which cost alot less.

(I've heard of somebody runnin 305s on the front with a custom wide wheel setup and NON SLA front end...but the wheels had to stick out a bunch to not rub the struts and the car sat alittle higher so as not to rub the tires on the fenders)

Now would be the time to make the final call on upgrading to a SLA, as later you don't want to get stuck with a set of wheels that you'll regret.

Thinkkker

Reaction score
18X10.5 w/ 315's all around. I do not have the stock suspension and I think you would have some clearance issues if you did *mainly with the sway endlink.*

35 offset, but the rears need to be something closer to a 50 honestly.

Oh yes, the Enkei NT03+M are 21 each too.

img_2200.jpg

Kaldar142

Reaction score
That looks SICK!!!

What part of the endlink needs to be modified? I'm on ground control coilovers

I'm also not sure if I want to do 18x10.5 all around or 18x10.5 / 18or19x12 rear

Hmmm...

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
Something else to consider is that on average you're going to add 4 lbs per tire when going from a 275/35-18 to a 315/30-18 and 1 lbs going from a 18x9.5 to 18x11 wheel to gain an extra 1.5" of tire width, not to mention the increased cost per tire (recurring expense) and wheel for that additional amount of tire width. A lot of guys I see running NASA CMC or American Iron with their Mustangs race cars are using 275/35 or 275/40 all around. More choices too for the 275 size tires. Just something to consider...

Last edited:

Kaldar142

Reaction score
Thanks but i'm deadset on going with some crazy setup, I'm just using what i have now for the track... this is mostly a street setup but will probably have dual purpose duty from time to time

I wanted to get a "nice" set of wheels to help set my car apart from everyone else basically.

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Anyone know where to look at CCW's wheels? I can't find a website for them.

marksti

forum member
Reaction score
Something else to consider is that on average you're going to add 4 lbs per tire when going from a 275/35-18 to a 315/30-18 and 1 lbs going from a 18x9.5 to 18x11 wheel to gain an extra 1.5" of tire width, not to mention the increased cost per tire (recurring expense) and wheel for that additional amount of tire width. A lot of guys I see running NASA CMC or American Iron with their Mustangs race cars are using 275/35 or 275/40 all around. More choices too for the 275 size tires. Just something to consider...

Something else to think about is the fact that there are alot less tire choices out there if you go beyond the 275 tire range...until you hit the 305 sizing.

I ended up going with pilot sport cups in 285 30 18,,,cuz there wasn't much out there in that sizing on a r compound....But if your going with r6s then there are a few more choices.

AND most of the larger tires out there are shorter so your gearing will be different too..which may help or hurt you.

If i recall you were running Invos???...Most any good r compound in a 275 will be a good step up for you them :)

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back