plastic film peeling on dash?

crazyray78

Reaction score
I was cleaning up my interior today, and I noticed on the passenger side airbag cover that the plastic film they put over the aluminum dash trim is peeling away! WTF? I mean ALOT of it too, comming off like strings! I have not used ANY harsh abrasives or cleaners on it ever. It looks like crap, and its only on the airbag cover portion of the dash.

Solutions? Do I, replace the entire airbag assy, as the cover doesnt come off without removing a bazzillion plasic grommets?

Or, remove the rest of the protective film across the entire dash panel and polish the aluminum?

Lay down some primer and paint the dash?

Buy a dash kit and cover it up?

What would you do?

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
When the plastic is peeled away what does the surface look like?
Mine doesn't have any plastic coating on it since the protective film was removed during the PDI.
Is it possible that it wasn't removed on your car and it's now peeling?

:worth:

Redwolf

Reaction score
It's possible it is the protective plastic used until the customer purchases the car. Like the plastic covering my aluminum "Mustang" door sill plates, I just left it on the until it looks like crap and then I will remove it only to protect it as long as possible.

Streetcrayon

Rumpity-Rump
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It's possible it is the protective plastic used until the customer purchases the car. Like the plastic covering my aluminum "Mustang" door sill plates, I just left it on the until it looks like crap and then I will remove it only to protect it as long as possible.

That sounds like the case!

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
+1...that's exactly what I'm doing. I even had the plastic on the radio for a couple months before it started to look like shit.

Redwolf

Reaction score
+1...that's exactly what I'm doing. I even had the plastic on the radio for a couple months before it started to look like shit.

Wow........ someone just as anal with perfection as I am. I even put Paint Protection Film on the bottom of my doors, behind the rear tires, and the rocker panels.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i had the plastic on the door sills for 3+ years before it peeled off and the carpet had the plastic on for just as long haha

Redwolf

Reaction score
i had the plastic on the door sills for 3+ years before it peeled off and the carpet had the plastic on for just as long haha

Damn, the dealership removed the plastic off of my carpet before I got it. I also stopped the salesman from drilling holes in my front bumper for the tags.

You know, when a vehicle is puchased from a dealer, they like to wash it up and all before you take it. I told the salesman when I agreed on the final figure, I told him right away NOT to wash it, I want to drive it home with the dirt on it. He looked at me like I was crazy, and said they wash all vehicles when they are sold. I told him if they do, you will be buying back a Mustang. He agreed to leave the dirt on it. I didn't want one of those kids to wash my brand new car with a nasty ass brush.

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Wow........ someone just as anal with perfection as I am. I even put Paint Protection Film on the bottom of my doors, behind the rear tires, and the rocker panels.
I'm not that anal. :beerdrink:

Back before I didn't know as much about keeping cars clean, I used a nasty brush on my car and got some scratches through it. Pisses me off, but hopefully when the weather gets nice I can try to compound it out. And I am one of those kids to whom you refer in your last post. I wouldn't want me washing/cleaning a nice car either! :beat:

Redwolf

Reaction score
I'm not that anal. :beerdrink:

Back before I didn't know as much about keeping cars clean, I used a nasty brush on my car and got some scratches through it. Pisses me off, but hopefully when the weather gets nice I can try to compound it out. And I am one of those kids to whom you refer in your last post. I wouldn't want me washing/cleaning a nice car either! :beat:

Look at it this way, you learned from a mistake, unfortunately it was your own.

Microfiber is all that touches my paint.

anticubicle

Reaction score

Im sad. I bought my car with 2 miles on the odometer (1 mile I put on myself) and I had no plastic on the carpet.

Unless I was too excited to notice...

But yeah I left the plastic on the door sills, radio and the steering wheel emblem for a few days then it was gone.

Vapour Trails

The Renaissance Man
Reaction score
He agreed to leave the dirt on it. I didn't want one of those kids to wash my brand new car with a nasty ass brush.

Funny you mentioned this. Many years back I worked at a car dealership for a summer cleaning cars. When the guys washed the brand new cars they opened up the hood and blasted the engine with 1700 psi water for some reason, I mean it's brand new and not at all dirty. :wtf:
Then they'd polish it off with a nice big ugly dealership sticker.

Here's your new car sir, with water penetrated engine.

Redwolf

Reaction score
Funny you mentioned this. Many years back I worked at a car dealership for a summer cleaning cars. When the guys washed the brand new cars they opened up the hood and blasted the engine with 1700 psi water for some reason, I mean it's brand new and not at all dirty. :wtf:
Then they'd polish it off with a nice big ugly dealership sticker.

Here's your new car sir, with water penetrated engine.

Those kids don't know much about what to do. I learned the hard way when I was younger too.

Thats another thing that pisses me off, those dealer stickers. I was lucky enough to get my car before they put one on it.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back