Please read if you own nitrous.....

jroc07gt

its orange not yellow!!
Reaction score
i wouldnt buy a used nitrous kit. i have seen my friends use a torch numerous times but never seen one explode. my friend just had his bottle stuffed full, put it in the trunk, then drove around all day. well that night he turned on the blanket before a race, went to pull off and the valve popped. it froze everything in the car. the heat from the bottle being filled, sitting in the trunk all day, plus blanket equals danger. also my friends empty their bottle, then sit it in a ice chest full of ice so that it will take more nitrous when being filled. it makes for a harder hit on the first pass but dangerous to me. if you run a nitrous kit then you should have a dash mounted gauge to watch your bottle pressure.

chopstix

Nitrous Tech
Reaction score
then sit it in a ice chest full of ice so that it will take more nitrous when being filled. it makes for a harder hit on the first pass but dangerous to me. if you run a nitrous kit then you should ?b?SOME WAY[/B] to watch your bottle pressure.

Freezing the bottle has no affect on how much nitrous will go in the bottle or how hard it hits.

Freezing the bottle increases the temp difference between the bottle and the cylinder it is being filled from....the colder bottle will "suck" the liquid from the full bottle.

You can actually totally fill bottles using this method without a pump.

matt texass

Reaction score
Freezing the bottle has no affect on how much nitrous will go in the bottle or how hard it hits.

Freezing the bottle increases the temp difference between the bottle and the cylinder it is being filled from....the colder bottle will "suck" the liquid from the full bottle.

You can actually totally fill bottles using this method without a pump.

+999

08gt4u

forum member
Reaction score
there is no way you gonna fill a nitrous bottle without a pump on a hot bottle,you have to get it cold.i work at a paintball shop and we fill nitrous bottles plus co2 and compress air tanks.the major problem i have with the nitrous bottles and people is,most of them heat it up with a torch and on top of that theyll sand it down and repaint it to match the car.
+1 to having a gage inside the car.but most important dont drive around with a full bottle on the car,even if you have a gage inside the car when the bottle is close the gage wont read anything,my bottle blew the burst disk one time from just the heat that is inside the trunk during the day.

Last edited:

chopstix

Nitrous Tech
Reaction score
sorry to seem like I am always correcting everyone, just want to make sure accurate information is presented... most bottle valves today have a port built into the valve so you can read pressure whether the valve is open or closed.

If you have an old bottle that doesn't have this, you can replace the valve for around $40

08gt4u

forum member
Reaction score
this is my bottle that i bought new this year.can you tell me where is the connection for a gage that is constant reading pressure please.
http://www.holley.com/data/products/pictures/large14745-SHFNOS.jpg

as you can see all its got is a burst disk on one side and in the back is where you connect the line.

i know what you are talking about,some come with a plug for a gage right at the neck.at my job i go through 4 to 5 50pound nitrous bottles a week and i have only seen one bottle with that plug style on it.most nos,zex and other brands dont offer that style bottle on there kits.90% of the people just install the gage or sender at the tip of the bottle.

chopstix

Nitrous Tech
Reaction score
i have only seen one bottle with that plug style on it.most nos,zex and other brands dont offer that style bottle on there kits..

Hope I didn't miss any ;)

Manufactures that offer bottles valves with pressure ports
Nitrous Express
Nitrous Outlet
Harris Speed Works
SpeedTech
Dynotune
N.O.S/Nitrous Supply Super HI-flow valves
Wilson NItrous Pro-Flow
Ny-Trex
Wizards of NOS
Cold Fusion
Nitrous Works
Zex Ultra Flow Race valves

Without or not sure
Compucar
N.O.S/Nitrous Supply Hi-flow valves
ZEX standard valves

05xgt

Reaction score
Who can recert a bottle? Or do they need to go back to the Mfgr?

08gt4u

forum member
Reaction score
any company that does hydro testing.usually they do everything or you can go to a scuba diving shop and ask them since they have to hydro test there tanks.

09 Ricky

forum member
Reaction score
They where testing a new design of nitrous bottles as well, they where made of carbon fiber, a design that no one has, so the the valve on the bottle that hit him like a rocket wasn't your normal nitrous bottle valve. They where trying to save weight with the new design, and it was a trial and error type thing that unfortunetly it was a freak accident. My old man has a car of that caliber, and everyone trys every little thing to to stay a head of the game and weight savings play a hudge roll for the nitrous guys, rules seem alot stricker now a days.

Last edited:

TheKurgan

forum member
Reaction score
They where testing a new design of nitrous bottles as well, they where made of carbon fiber, a design that no one has, so the the valve on the bottle that hit him like a rocket wasn't your normal nitrous bottle valve. They where trying to save weight with the new design, and it was a trial and error type thing that unfortunetly it was a freak accident. My old man has a car of that caliber, and everyone trys every little thing to to stay a head of the game and weight savings play a hudge roll for the nitrous guys, rules seem alot stricker now a days.

LOL seriously ? A carbon fiber nitrous bottle. I never would of even thought of that. I would imagine that might not respond too well to a torch.

1FastS197

Reaction score

thats one of the reasons i don't own a carbon fiber driveshaft... i have seen them explode leaving the line...

also in that article this was stated... "The nitrous oxide canisters resemble a scuba diver’s oxygen tank. The nitrous oxide boosts dragsters to extraordinary speeds in drag races." nitrous on a street driven vehicle is banned... you can have it but it has to be taken aloose from the bottle while on the highway... thats cool but the trash that gets cought up in the line will end up in the solenoids... and that would cause serious issues with the kit working like it should... i guess i'll just take the ticket...

Back