Pony Car Challenge / Button Willow

2008 V6

forum member
Reaction score
Very late posting but 12 to 14 Hours a day at work the last week + But I do love my job.

Speed Ventures – Button Willow 7/26/14 & 7/27/14.
Pony Car Challenge 7/27/14.

I am not affiliated -

I signed up yesterday – Hope to see people there.

I’m testing a new driveshaft I’ve had for almost 2 weeks now on a dyno tonight at 9:00PM (Only time I could make time and get in without bumping a money paying customer off a friends dyno) to see if it solves my driveline vibrations. If not, my top speed will still be limited to around 104- 108 mph.

Very tick drive shaft using a front CV joint that will replace a universal joint and the Piece of SHT commercial slip joint commonly used for my application. I’m hopping will be my band-aid cure. If not I’m squewed.
See ya at Buttom Willow

http://www.speedventures.com/competitions/Default.aspx

http://svc.speedventures.com/contentimages/ponycar2014_v3.pdf

Last edited:

2008 V6

forum member
Reaction score
A review for anyone whom is interested – I don’t take Joy in typing I do enough at work so this will be short as possible.

Button Willow located in middle California / Desert region.

Nice track that requires not only HP but handling for faster lap times. Big Aero would be a definite plus. Technical lower speed track that I didn’t even begin to learn even with 6 – 20 min. sessions between the 7/26 & 7/27/14.

I walked the track early 7/26/14 (Configuration 13CW) to check run off areas for potential hazards. The track was just resurfaced and most off areas were relatively level with the pavement with no discernable potholes to catch a tire – There are (2) medium speed section where, if you made a huge mistake, you would end up in a retaining wall. Very well thought out track that made the most of what it had to work with. It would be difficult to hurt your car unless someone had a major mechanical cluster FCK or a brain fart.

Saturday – 107F, medium humidity, track surface temp 143F at 1:00PM. I ran 4 of 5 sessions in Purple run group. Very slow, low level / beginner group with quite a few interesting drivers - Large group with everything from a C6 corvette to a Scion. This proved to be challenging but fine in learning multiple lines in negotiating traffic and learning the track without me blocking much more capable cars and drivers who know the track.

Sunday – Pony Car Challenge ran 2 of 5 events (Purple run group) and threw an engine code so I pulled off to the pits. I forgot my scan tool and code list so I could not diagnose the problem. I checked the basics and ran 3 laps in the next event to check and make sure the car would make it home, packed up and left. I was told my time in the second run was 2:11+. I fell confident that I could have run at least 3+ seconds faster comfortably with a bit more track time but that’s a just talk and stile slow. The results should be up soon. It takes them a day or two to up-date their web-sight. – link is below. My car with minor mods placed me in Group 8. (2008 V6 with 5 points - 195RWHP & 3500LBs+ with me driving.)
All in all a fun and well organized event – I met some nice people who I will look for the next time I attend. There were several Very nice Mustangs, Camaros and Challengers there but most were not aware of the event so I do not know how many entrants there were. Prior turn out has been low according to the link below.

My mistakes –

Not only did I forget my Scan tool but my impact gun and my aluminum Alcon relatively new floor jack’s main high pressure valve / spring kept sticking. It is lots of fun trying to jack a car up when you have to keep manually pulling the stuck valve open on your floor jack 20 + times then using a ½”drive ratchet to remove lug nuts off of long studs so I could rotate tires Sunday morning (1:00 to 1:30 Hours) This was free entertainment for everyone around me. I think I improved a few peoples vocabulary. Hey - Isn’t that what we call a fun. I hope to meet more people from this forum at future events.

The next event is at Auto Club Speedway 8/9/14 including the Oval which should be very fast for higher HP cars.
http://www.speedventures.com/results/Default.aspx

http://svc.speedventures.com/fly.aspx?layout=series_standings&series=610

Last edited:

FR500GT

forum member
Reaction score
I heard the track was getting repaved and I wish I could have made it out this weekend. My buddies shop (Platte Forme A.G.) was out there with a few cars including their white GT3 with the giant Voltex wing. I'll be back out there as soon as it cools down.

2008 V6

forum member
Reaction score
I heard the track was getting repaved and I wish I could have made it out this weekend. My buddies shop (Platte Forme A.G.) was out there with a few cars including their white GT3 with the giant Voltex wing. I'll be back out there as soon as it cools down.

I hope to meet you next time – There was a white GT3 with a big wing that was flat bedded out early Sunday.

The track was repaved and very, very nice but the operators didn’t let it cure long enough (My opinion).
Saturday - portions of the track started to lift so cones were placed to avoid the areas so repairs could be made that night. They covered the track with a white dust prior to the event Saturday which dissipated quickly on line but passing or drifting into the dusted areas proved interesting with quite a few offs in my group and a black flag during the second run.
A C6 Corvette had an off his first run of the day and banged his car up quite well in a retaining wall. (1 of 2 places that you could hurt your car). I talked to him afterwards and asked how he was doing – he said he was ok but sore.
I put 2 wheels off 3rd run and didn’t think much of it but was black flagged. When I came into the pitts to talk to the steward, he asked me what happened and I explained to him I wasn’t familiar with the track and was trying different lines. He sent me back out again. I had 2 wheels of in a faster section Sunday 1st run and didn’t lift just like before - They didn’t call me in that me that time.
2nd run I pointed a C6 corvette by who was exceedingly fast down the straights. I gave him some space but when I caught him he lost concentration and drifted into the powder section off line then put 2 wheels off and panicked. He then decided pull on track and slow down right in my line causing me to upset my chassis quite a bit making it difficult for the guy behind me too. That’s when my engine threw the code and I came in.
The guy, who was following me for several laps had a very nice Evo that he had sunk a lot of $$$ in. He came over to talk to me and asked me if anything was wrong with my car. I said it just threw a code. He told me he was following to learn my line but that I was so slow on the straights that he thought my car was sick. I informed him that my car was 195RWHP – V6. He then stated OOOOH no wonder. LOL
To draw this to an end – I like Button Willow and will be back. I also saw one of the 2 car types I might be investing in next year.
A Brunton M-Spec. (LS engine Lotus 7 clone). I’ve always been a fan of the Old Yeller, home built type cars. I ran by Burnton’s shop 2 years ago when I took a break from the PRI show which was in Florida then.
This would be street / track day only car. Once the initial purchase, very low operational expenses.
http://stalkercars.com/

claudermilk

Reaction score
Sounds like a mostly fun time. I am planning on the Fontana event, hopefully I'll be able to make it & run into a few locals on here. If I do, I'm the blue '13 GT running #710.

2008 V6

forum member
Reaction score
Sounds like a mostly fun time. I am planning on the Fontana event, hopefully I'll be able to make it & run into a few locals on here. If I do, I'm the blue '13 GT running #710.

I hope to make that event also. I ran with a different group - Extreme Speed - on the infield track earlier this year. (They took over Red Line Time Attack and are doing quite well) It was a fun and very easy to learn track but definitely a HP track. If the oval is included, a stock 5.0 should easily see 140+ which is well above my comfort zone with 20’ walls all around.
I stile have driveline issues that I was sure my new CV drive shaft would cure. (3rd Driveshaft) It’s better but I am just about out of ideas. I’m calling in a favor at a local machine shop to make me some hub centric spacers for my Lug centric wheels to see if that improves anything. I don’t want to sink any more $$$ into this platform – It’s stile my wife’s semi-daily driver and will be retired to 100% street at the end of this year. If I’m at Auto Club, I’ll be in the White 2008 - number 28.

claudermilk

Reaction score
I hope to make that event also. I ran with a different group - Extreme Speed - on the infield track earlier this year. (They took over Red Line Time Attack and are doing quite well) It was a fun and very easy to learn track but definitely a HP track. If the oval is included, a stock 5.0 should easily see 140+ which is well above my comfort zone with 20’ walls all around.
Cool, maybe we will run into each other. SV uses the sports car course which includes the oval between pit in and the exit of NASCAR 2. I was seeing about 130 at the end of the front straight and still had ~1000 RPM left. I think close to 140 is doable, just need to increase comfort level and cojones size. :crazy:

2008 V6

forum member
Reaction score
Cool, maybe we will run into each other. SV uses the sports car course which includes the oval between pit in and the exit of NASCAR 2. I was seeing about 130 at the end of the front straight and still had ~1000 RPM left. I think close to 140 is doable, just need to increase comfort level and cojones size. :crazy:

Comfort level - Definitely
Cojonez – Mine got trimmed in my first marriage but are slowly growing back. If I run Auto Zone I’ll look you up.

If you are commuting from AZ or anywhere else for that matter, give a good inspection to your tires before going on track. From what I saw at Auto Club, it is UNFORGIVING.

claudermilk

Reaction score
Yeah, those walls definitely lighten the right foot. There's lots of stuff to hit, and I've seen several cars leave on a flatbed.

I'm only driving an hour to the track, but the car will get a basic inspection before I go.

2008 V6

forum member
Reaction score
Looks like I will be at Auto Club / Fontana. I was given some hub centric rings that fit my wheels very well. If they work, I’m going to have spacers made. I will not be able to test them before 8/9/14 so Auto Club will be my test day. If I have problems, I will just hug the inside of the oval and limit my top end. I only saw 105MPH when I was on the infield track earlier this year so I should stile be able to have fun on ½ the track worst case scenario.
I checked sign up / Large-turn out everything from a SR Radical to a Skyline GTR35
Should be a fun day.

Pony Cars - I don’t know if these owners signed up for the Pony Challenge.

1 – 1965 Vintage
1 - S195 GT
1 – S197 V6
1 – S197 Roush RS3
3 - S197 GT
4 – S197 Boss 302
1 – 2010 Camaro SS
1 – 2014 Camaro 1LE
1 – Dodge Challenger SRT8

neema

forum member
Reaction score
I'll be at some SV buttonwillow events this fall/winter. I hope the issues with new pavement get rectified by then.

2008 V6

forum member
Reaction score
I'll be at some SV buttonwillow events this fall/winter. I hope the issues with new pavement get rectified by then.

I will try to be there too. It looks like they will be running 13CCW (TBD13 - ?) Sunday Pony Car Challenge and other series too. As I stated before, I ran 13CW and after 6 runs, I stile didn’t know the track well. (Slow learner) I really liked the track’s layout - Safe & Challenging - and only 2 hours away.
13CCW should be just as interesting. Not many tracks can run CCW & CW safely. It never occurred to me to check the run off areas running the opposite direction.
I’ll look for you & FR500GT if I’m there.

claudermilk

Reaction score
Right now it's looking like I'll have to pass on this one. :( Some big kid-related expenses came up & they are more important than my playtime.

claudermilk

Reaction score
Yep. I've been planning on this one for a while, but getting the kid up to speed before the next school year is higher on the priority list. As a consolation, I still plan on running the CalClub autocross in El Toro the following week, and have the October SV event in Fontana marked on the calendar.

2008 V6

forum member
Reaction score
Yep. I've been planning on this one for a while, but getting the kid up to speed before the next school year is higher on the priority list. As a consolation, I still plan on running the CalClub autocross in El Toro the following week, and have the October SV event in Fontana marked on the calendar.

Kids - Priority always
Last time (Many Moons ago) I was at El Toro I saw an air show - Nice facility for an Auto Cross.
Auto Crosses are Challenging but if I need to delegate a day or weekend, I prefer a lot more seat time - Unfortunately, I just have too little non delegated time so I usually know what I’m doing every weekend for several months in advance. I never thought I would become so Annal Retentive.

SV at Button Willow 9/20& 21. I’m hopping to make that my next event followed by either NASA at Button Willow or SV at Auto Club 10/4& 5.

Extreme / Redline Time Attack at Button Willow 8/30 & 31 but I’ll be out of State then.

2008 V6

forum member
Reaction score
Late post again – all work & no play –

Auto Club was a blast for most – 3 straights separated by easy to learn turns and an insanely fast Roval. Big HP Track requiring AERO to keep your car planted at the speeds reachable here. I was easily able to see 115 + MPH 60 to 80 feet before start finish in my low HP, High CD - Heavy boat. I on the other hand didn’t get to experience the Roval – My driveline issues / Personal saga continues. I had to hug the flat btm of the oval every lap because of severe vibrations limiting my maintained speed to 110 -115 MPH (I should have brought a book with me because this section of the track is exceedingly long) Other than that, I met many very friendly people one of which even shot some pics of the car and e-mailed them to me –Very cool of him. Hope to meet up with him at a future even.
William - If your on this forum – Thanks.

Auto Club results – http://svc.speedventures.com/fly.aspx?layout=series_standings&series=610

Overall times -http://www.speedventures.com/results/Default.aspx

Next event – Speed Ventures – Pony Car Challenge Button Willow 9/20 & 21/14
If anyone is signing up for any future Pony Car Challenges – PM - Me before for you sign additional info on possible $$$ savings

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back