Procharger has changed sounds

KMP_SGT1066

forum member
Reaction score
The other day I noticed the procharger was sounding different. It of course has the metal grinding noise-normal, but it is making like a howling type noise around 2-3000 rpms.. once in boost it has developed quite a whistle which wasn't there before. Bov still sounds normal. Anyway I took the air intake tubing off and noticed there was a little oil inside it. Checked the compressor oil and it was fine. Also a little residue around the drain bolt. This is my first experience with forced induction so I'm a little baffled

lostsoul

2014 vett or 2015 stang..
Reaction score
a tad bit of oil is normal, I would look for vacuum leaks. Does it drive good?

KMP_SGT1066

forum member
Reaction score
Have a boost/vac gauge, everything seems fine. Yeah it still drives out just like before, just strange it is making diff noises all of the sudden

lostsoul

2014 vett or 2015 stang..
Reaction score
maybe re-check all piping and the sleeves. I have had those loosen up and a couple have blown off.. almost peed my pants when that happened..haha

Other then that I'm not sure what else...

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You should call Procharger. I would. May be normal. May be a problem.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
The other day I noticed the procharger was sounding different. It of course has the metal grinding noise-normal, but it is making like a howling type noise around 2-3000 rpms.. once in boost it has developed quite a whistle which wasn't there before. Bov still sounds normal. Anyway I took the air intake tubing off and noticed there was a little oil inside it. Checked the compressor oil and it was fine. Also a little residue around the drain bolt. This is my first experience with forced induction so I'm a little baffled

The oil in the intake tube is normal if you have the fac Procharger setup with the PCV line going to the intake tube. I would check all of your couplers to make sure none of them have split. Also check the vac line to the BOV.

What BOV do you have?

Is there any loss of power?

Is the noise there in park or only while driving?

If it does it at in park reving the car, can you tell if it is from the head unit or not?

KMP_SGT1066

forum member
Reaction score
The oil in the intake tube is normal if you have the fac Procharger setup with the PCV line going to the intake tube. I would check all of your couplers to make sure none of them have split. Also check the vac line to the BOV.

What BOV do you have?

Is there any loss of power?

Is the noise there in park or only while driving?

If it does it at in park reving the car, can you tell if it is from the head unit or not?

Just the bov that came with the kit. No loss in power. In neutral and driving it does it but cant tell exactly if its from the head unit. I can feel it through the gas pedal when i blip the throttle to about 2k and let it idle down. At first i was thinking something to do with my belt by the sound it was making, but thats not the case im sure. It whistles alot louder now than ever before while making boost, I like it but if something is going wrong then of course Id like to fix it. Btw Ive had it on the car since April and around 4k miles have been put on it.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Just the bov that came with the kit. No loss in power. In neutral and driving it does it but cant tell exactly if its from the head unit. I can feel it through the gas pedal when i blip the throttle to about 2k and let it idle down. At first i was thinking something to do with my belt by the sound it was making, but thats not the case im sure. It whistles alot louder now than ever before while making boost, I like it but if something is going wrong then of course Id like to fix it. Btw Ive had it on the car since April and around 4k miles have been put on it.

Can you get somone to video the sound while in park and post it?

KMP_SGT1066

forum member
Reaction score
Bought used-claimed to have had around 1k miles on it then he returned it to stock for trade in. It's the P1SC with stage 2 ic.. sorry about no video, haven't had a chance

aleborjas

forum member
Reaction score
check if the impeler is not touching the cover, i've seen it happen because some of the little allen screws broke because the piping was making too much presure to the cover, change the oil ande chcke bearings and check if you feel a weird movement on the impeler.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back