Procharger oil options

46addict

Reaction score
Has anyone considered using motor oil or ATF instead of ordering oil from Procharger? Before these blowers were self contained, they ran off of motor oil. Do the self contained units have a different bearing/gear design that requires a proprietary oil? Or better yet, did they abandon the old design because running on motor oil reduced service life?

I found a thread a YB where a lot of folks were running RP 20w-50 in their F1s. But I'm not sure what the long term effects would be.

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
I always ran Procharger oil in my D1 and F1A. Given what I paid for them the oil wasn't that expensive. And I changed mine at 5K intervals. So a 3 pack lasted me a while.

46addict

Reaction score
Mine is leaking and I'm having to go through a 6oz bottle every 2k miles or so. I will eventually get around to replacing the seals. I'm not too worried about the cost either, but if I'm ever in a rush, motor oil would be easier to find. One thing that caught my attention is some people have said a higher viscosity motor oil can help with the burn off, but I've also read it can drag the gears down.

Last edited:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
IIRC the oil can be bought cheap at a GM dealer (at least the Whipple oil was the same) it's their OEM supercharger oil

Saleen4971

forum member
Reaction score
Centri oil I believe is different.

I've been running royal purple atf in my vortech after seeing a few folks do it (I want to say on BMW forums?) And it's been working just fine.

Also costs a hell of a lot less.

46addict

Reaction score
If it works for you and a bunch of others at YB, I'm sure it'll be fine for me. Now I have to decide between 20w-50 and ATF.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
IIRC the oil can be bought cheap at a GM dealer (at least the Whipple oil was the same) it's their OEM supercharger oil

That works for PD blowers but the Procharger uses a different oil.

OP an internet search will turn up what it is. IIRC it's a motor oil. I'm thinking it is Castrol 0w-40 but you would be best served to do your own research.

Saleen4971

forum member
Reaction score
always smelled like atf to me, but then again so many geared setups can use atf or motor oil..........

skaarlaj

Probie Former Pink Bus Rider
Reaction score
I see it like this, it's pretty much a belt driven turbo that deals with a lot less heat and rpms, and turbos are supplied by your engine's oil. I'd make sure it's wet and slippery myself.

WARstang

forum member
Reaction score
I have four bottles of brand new procharger oil. Make me an offer

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back