Project STX update and 13/14 April Solo event After Action

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Questions, comments, concerns, etc, feel free to post! :)

Wow, that course was indeed busy. The sound was hard to hear from the videos, but the camera placement was excellent. What I could see from that were two main things:

1. The car seems a bit slow to respond? It took what seemed a long time to react to driver inputs, slow to take a set, and didn't really shoot through the slaloms well. It also looked like it had a pretty decent push.

Question: What tires are you on now? Size and model.

If it were me I'd want to see a bit more "twitchiness" in the car. A little more violent reaction to steering inputs, a bit more "willing to rotate". The car should be slicing through the slaloms and transitions, too. This usually involves shock damping and spring rates, as well as bar settings - but tires are a HUGE part of this, too.

2. The second thing is not car related. Now please don't take this the wrong way, as I've been an autocross instructor for over 20 years, and instruct with NASA and other HPDE groups. You are doing what 75% of the people I work with are doing.... Your hands are all over the freagin place. :) I will let Paulie D explain...

36292051.jpg

hehehe... I don't know who made that meme but it cracked me up!

Seriously, you are going "hand over hand" (a big no-no) a lot and "losing center" in the exists of some turns. And like I said, everybody starts off this way, and proper steering technique is something we all have to be taught. Hand position and shuffle steer are almost universally NOT taught to us in driver's ed. We have to un-learn their bad 10-2 positions and hand-over-hand teachings.

What I try to teach new students and even experienced autocrossers alike is to get your hands at 3 and 9 o'clock and RARELY LEAVE THIS POSITION. On many road courses with modern power steering systems you will almost never leave 3 and 9. Only when shifting, and then that right hand goes RIGHT BACK. I often catch students driving with one hand on the wheel and one continually on the shifter. After about 2 laps of me saying "Hands" after each shift they usually get it... sometimes a light "tap" on the top of the hand helps, if you leave it on the shifter for more than 1 second after the shift.

Autocrossing is an exception... there are super tight corners (especially that mess you had to drive in those videos) where you will need more than 180° of steering input, which is about all you can achieve effectively with a stationary 3-9 hand position. In those situations, and you should know before the corner starts, plan on a shuffle-steer.

This autocross run shows a lot of 3-and-9 hand positions with 2 corners needing shuffle steering

That video above is the last time I autocrossed my 2011 GT in 2012 and was the first video I could find that showed my hands. It shows a 3-and-9 hand position used in several 180° steering inputs (plus a little more), with two small shuffle steers in ultra tight 180° corners (there were 4 of them on that tight course). It isn't a particularly good bit of driving, but it was good enough for the ESP win and 2nd overall in PAX so... I dunno. I will sometimes catch myself doing "rally steering", where one hand is palming the wheel for super fast counter-steering with a LOT of wheel input, usually when I am over-driving the car (big time oversteering) or just plain hooning. Anyway, this vid was just an example of 3-and-9 hands.

Sticking at 3-and-9 keeps you lined up with the wheel and when you need more, shuffling helps you maintain center - as you can count how many shuffles you had into and out of that corner, so that you end up back at 3 and 9 with the wheel straight. Another great tool to help you line up the wheel when you exit a corner where you had to shuffle is to mark "center" with a line of tape wrapped around the top of the rim, like so...

DSC_1995-M.jpg

I do this "tape" trick on most of my cars (that's my old E46 330 TTD/DSP car above), especially on anything with slow steering or that get's autocrossed - where I'll be doing some shuffle steering. This little visual clue keeps your hands from "losing center" when the wheel is sawing all over the place, and is especially helpful in RWD/high hp cars where power oversteer can be easily achieved.

Anyway, that's just my comments from the peanut gallery. Take them as you see fit. :)

Cheers,

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score
Terry, I'm on the same 245/45/18 Star Specs I've been on since last year. Pressures were 32 front and 35 rear which is because I forgot to swap the pressures after rotating the tires front to back. By the last run of the first "heat" they were at 32/33. The car already requires a little finesse when applying throttle but at 35 rear it required a lot of slow throttle input. Keep in mind, these pressures were set because I had a 220 mile trip there and a 220 mile trip back and none of us that went owned a portable air tank or electric air pump. It's on the list of things to buy. For Spring Nationals, I'll be back to 35F/32R. The tires don't quite have the roll over at higher pressures to be using the shoulders on the tires.

The Koni's (the "custom valved" ones not off the shelf Yellows) on the Ground Control coilovers (440F/200R) were set at a half turn (of only two available, surprisingly) from full stiff. The rears were at 3/4 a turn from full stiff (also of only two available full turns). Any tighter on this course and it might have responded quicker, but honestly, I tried full stiff and a quarter turn off stiff and kept backing them up at the test'n'tune and beyond where they are right now the car either loses traction on direction changes or doesn't respond very quickly. The car is setup to run on National style courses, this course was tight enough that some of the slalom cones would barely be far enough apart to park a car through them.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the steering racks on the 05-10's are not the same as on the 11+ cars. We are all hydraulic, you have (and can keep :p) that EPAS nonsense. I don't think our racks are as quick as the 11+ cars are though. I know my friend (the Evo driver) made comment at the test'n'tune that he had to turn the wheel a lot to get the car to turn as far as he needed it to. It wasn't understeer though, it's just he's used to the quick rack on his Evo which goes from lock to lock in basically a 3/4 of a turn in either direction.

Right now, the car setup is the same as on the first page, Ground Control Coilover kit with their track/school valved Koni's, 440 front springs, 200 rear springs. Strano 35mm front bar set in the middle position, stock 20mm rear bar, Fays2 Watts link with the pivot bolt in the "up one from center" position. On the more open National's style courses on the Nationals concrete this setup is reasonably neutral with a touch of steady state understeer and throttle induced oversteer just a little more gas away.

As for the hands, I think, and you can correct me if I'm wrong, the majority of the reason for this was how tight the course was. Honestly, I was shocked at how tight the course was. On the first post, video 2 and video 4, there is a lot less hand over hand, there is still some shuffling, and one incident of hand over hand, but it isn't nearly as bad as at this event. I dunno, it's something I don't find too interfering, the incident you are probably think of, I actually let go of the wheel since it was quicker than trying to muscle it back. I know, bad idea, horrible idea, and not fast, but with how quick the crap came up in this course, there wasn't much time to do anything else.

It's something I plan on working on at the next event, which I believe is on sealed Asphalt, so who knows how that'll go. I'm hesitant to make any car changes since I'm still learning from the coilovers change. driver mod will always be a work in progress though. This is the second event of year three for me so I'm still reasonably new.

As for the GoPro sound... well, it's not an HD model (Hey, I got it for 40 bucks from a friend) and this is what it sounds like with the sound set on the "Hi" setting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4HLjvuYVkI

Are your ear's bleeding yet? Mine sure as hell feel like it! :) I emailed GoPro and was given the "update firmware, report back" response. Updated firmware, and it's not as bad as it was but it's still awful. Responded back that it didn't fix the issue and they said "it sounds Normal". No idea what the cause is, but I really need a new one and that noise is NOT normal from ANY other GoPro SD video I've heard. Sadly, the budget for this kind of thing has been spent, on coilovers. Until I find a suitable mount for my cell phone to use it as a recording device as well (that is what I used to do), I'm kinda stuck with the SD GoPro.

Live and learn I guess. :(

From the videos in the first post, does the car still look slow to respond? It doesn't feel that way from the driver's seat but I have no idea if it's adrenaline masking the feeling or if it is the video playback that makes everything feel slower than it actually is, or what. Needless to say, I'm all ears on this issue! :)

PS: If you are willing to lift your embargo of the SCCA, I'd gladly welcome a Co-Driver for Spring Nationals! :D That is, if you can tolerate driving a 3440lb car on 245/45/18 Star Specs! :D

Last edited:

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Terry, out of curiosity, where do you run your whiteline sways with the 550/250 springs and R-comps?

Whiskey11

Reaction score
Terry, out of curiosity, where do you run your whiteline sways with the 550/250 springs and R-comps?

I'm willing to bet this information, like most of the car setup information, is mostly a closely guarded secret. Then again, I could be wrong. The information might be in his build thread disguised in pictures. That topic is just a few down on this page.

sholzer

forum member
Reaction score
I know he's posted pictures of his rear whiteline sway sticking way down below the bumper when it was set at full stiff

modernbeat

Jason McDaniel @ Vorshlag
Official Vendor
Reaction score

For autocross use we ran them at the second to softest setting (of four) in the rear and the second to hardest setting (of four) in front.

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Terry, I'm on the same 245/45/18 Star Specs I've been on since last year.

updown.gif

"Tires are everything in solo" - me

The Koni's (the "custom valved" ones not off the shelf Yellows) on the Ground Control coilovers (440F/200R) were set at a half turn (of only two available, surprisingly) from full stiff. The rears were at 3/4 a turn from full stiff (also of only two available full turns).

Those spring rates sound about right but I might go with a tick more rear bar. But don't make any major suspension changes until you get the correct 265mm width tires and 9" wide wheels...

The other thing to keep in mind is that the steering racks on the 05-10's are not the same as on the 11+ cars. We are all hydraulic, you have (and can keep :p) that EPAS nonsense. I don't think our racks are as quick as the 11+ cars are though. I know my friend (the Evo driver) made comment at the test'n'tune that he had to turn the wheel a lot to get the car to turn as far as he needed it to. It wasn't understeer though, it's just he's used to the quick rack on his Evo which goes from lock to lock in basically a 3/4 of a turn in either direction.
Hmm, good point about the rack. Does anyone know the published ratios? I've only tracked in some 2005-2010 GTs (where the steering felt fine), except for a few autocross runs in an F Stock classed Shelby GT, which I've tried to block from my memory, heh.

As for the hands, I think, and you can correct me if I'm wrong, the majority of the reason for this was how tight the course was. Honestly, I was shocked at how tight the course was. ... I don't find too interfering, the incident you are probably think of, I actually let go of the wheel since it was quicker than trying to muscle it back. I know, bad idea, horrible idea, and not fast, but with how quick the crap came up in this course, there wasn't much time to do anything else.
Well, it might be something to work on? If you get a chance to do an Evo school they can and will work with you on wheel control. For autocrossing you need to have QUICK hands but good steering wheel discipline. If you have a slow steering rack you might want to teach yourself to shuffle steer.

PS: If you are willing to lift your embargo of the SCCA, I'd gladly welcome a Co-Driver for Spring Nationals! :D That is, if you can tolerate driving a 3440lb car on 245/45/18 Star Specs! :D
Hehe, thanks for the co-drive offer, and there have been a surprising number of offers for rides. Its not an "embargo of SCCA", I just don't have an SCCA Solo legal car at the moment and the NASA season is in full swing. We've been doing track events almost every weekend for months but luckily most of the track events take a break for July and August here in Texas (HOT!), then start up again for the Sept-Nov-Dec races. So during that summer hiatus we will do some regional SCCA Solo events, probably running our Mustang in StreetMod.

Good luck... and get some wider tires. :p

Last edited:

Whiskey11

Reaction score
Hah, Terry, there is a good reason why I'm still on those tires. Since the Star Specs had plenty of life left in them I opted to continue to run those and spend the money on Coilovers this year instead of wheels/tires. I know, I know, stupid, but with the potential changes with the Mustang Classing in ST it made more financial sense to me to wait until next year to drop the cash on wheels/tires since fun money is very limited already. Had I bought the 18x9's and 265/40/18's this year and we get moved, then I'm already down on size for STU. If we don't get moved then I'd be fine but that is a lot to gamble on since it is starting to circulate outside of our group that the Mustangs are potentially being moved. This way I end up on the right wheels/tires for where ever we end up. I realize I wont be winning any National Championship on them, that was never an expectation!

When I say potentially being moved, my co-driver from last year is on one of the various RX8 forums and he said he found out about it from there and his comment was: "I saw that they are moving the Mustangs to STU, is that true?" Of course, we don't know for sure what, if anything will change for next year.

I found online that the FR500C cars used a 15.6:1 ratio rack which is supposedly quicker than the default 05-10 racks. Then I found someone saying it was the same despite Ford Racing saying it is quicker than the default racks. I also found that the EPAS rack on the Boss 302 is 15.9:1. I was under the impression that the Boss used the same crappy EPAS based rack as all the other Mustangs. I don't know. I did notice when I drove my buddy's 2011 GT that his rack felt heavier but responded to steering input a lot quicker.

Anyway, Terry, thank you for the responses. I'm going to make a concerted effort at the next event I attend to keep the hands at 9 and 3 and keep them there. My hope is that the next event will not be this needlessly tight since it's the same host region. We also had a problem with workers not showing up which is making me re-think driving out there even though it's only a 2 hour drive instead of 3.5.

neema

forum member
Reaction score
DSC_4447-M.jpg

Some folks will compensate by raising the rear ride height. The car above has 1000# front, 600# rear springs to make it work. And the car is fast like that, in ESP class (took 2nd at the 2012 Solo Nats), but that is way too much spring rate for an STU car/street tire, and is absolutely horrific for street driving.

Cheers,

Terry, do you know what offset and tiresize the yellow mustang above was running? I'm going to be a member of the "protruding wheels" club (i have the 18x10.5 et38 Enkei PF01s) and want to run 305/35s all around, but the rear protrusion there is a lot more than I imagined/calculated. I have stiff spring rates (570#,340#) so the problem should be mitigated. I guess we'll see after mounting tires onto the wheels

Whiskey, sorry to threadjack

modernbeat

Jason McDaniel @ Vorshlag
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Terry, do you know what offset and tiresize the yellow mustang above was running? I'm going to be a member of the "protruding wheels" club (i have the 18x10.5 et38 Enkei PF01s) and want to run 305/35s all around, but the rear protrusion there is a lot more than I imagined/calculated. I have stiff spring rates (570#,340#) so the problem should be mitigated. I guess we'll see after mounting tires onto the wheels...

Neema, I'd guess that those are the 315 Hoosiers by the way they curl over from the tread to the wheel. And those look like the et38 RPF1 wheels. The spring rates you have aren't that stiff. They are the same as what we run in the front and slightly more than what we run in the rear. And we cycle the suspension through all the available stroke with those rates and the 315 Hoosiers.

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Terry, do you know what offset and tiresize the yellow mustang above was running? I'm going to be a member of the "protruding wheels" club (i have the 18x10.5 et38 Enkei PF01s) and want to run 305/35s all around, but the rear protrusion there is a lot more than I imagined/calculated. I have stiff spring rates (570#,340#) so the problem should be mitigated. I guess we'll see after mounting tires onto the wheels

Whiskey, sorry to threadjack

That is the 18x10.5" Enkei and they were running 315/30/18 front and a 335/30/18 rear (squeezed!), with bone crushing 1000# front and I think 600# rears. It was fast - 2nd in ESP at the 2012 Solo Nationals, but it had a lot of "poke". :)

Whiskey11

Reaction score
Results finally posted. My Runs were:

50.271 +1
49.857 (fastest)
51.316 +4 (yup :p)
50.073 +1

Obviously those times did not include the cone penalties. As you can see though, only three clean runs and my fastest was on the 3rd which I suppose would be great if it were a National tour! :p

How is that overall? Well, my RAW time put me 20th by RAW of 67 entries, 13th by PAX and 4th in my class. Ahead of me was an FRS, a BRZ and an Eagle Talon (by .069 seconds) and distance to leader was 1.596 seconds.

To my knowledge the BRZ and FRS were both on coilovers, 255 RS3's on Enkei wheels, maybe swaybars and some power mods (the one had the worst exhaust I've ever heard on a boxer) and were well driven minus the winner having only one clean run the entire time and it happened to be good enough for winning! :p He kept hitting the cone that I was working at!

The second place BRZ ran:
59.801+1
48.974 (?!?!?!)

which feels very, very odd to me. I'm thinking someone else drove his car for one run as that seems downright odd to be in the upper 50's (or upper 60's) then suddenly drop 10 (or 20) seconds then never recreate even CLOSE to that run.

Ohh well, what this learned me was that the FRS/BRZ cars are going to really be monsters once they get fully prepped. Spring Nationals will be the first time an STX battle (now up to 22 cars with TWO pony cars!! myself and Jason Rhoades' 67 Camaro!) has occurred between the former top contenders and the FRS/BRZ on National concrete. I'm willing to bet the FRS/BRZ comes out on top and STX participation drops after this year's Nationals.

It does make me long for a more competitive class for the Mustang on Street Tires though! There was an evil thought, an evil, evil, evil, evil thought in the back of my mind that instead of buying street tires next year, buy a set of Hankook Z214's in C91 compound (only available in 275/35/18 size) which comes out to just shy of $1000. Probably not enough to win ESP on but cheaper than A6's by a long shot and potentially quicker than the V710's while maintaining good life. I don't know. We will see what, if anything comes of the ST potential move before making that decision. Maybe Hoosier will have another A6 sell off at which point going to ESP might not be all that expensive, especially if they sell off 295/XX/18's for $480 a set again!

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
I found online that the FR500C cars used a 15.6:1 ratio rack which is supposedly quicker than the default 05-10 racks.
Not according to that 2005 MVMS document that's been floating around the 'net. 15.642 is listed.

I don't know. I did notice when I drove my buddy's 2011 GT that his rack felt heavier but responded to steering input a lot quicker.
I suspect that you can do a lot more tinkering of "steering weight" with EPAS simply because the assist is subject to electronic oversight and programming. I'm not sure that your "feel" of what's happening at the contact patches is any better with EPAS, though. Quicker steering response sounds more like firmer front control arm bushings or more responsive tires or tire/wheel package.

Norm

Whiskey11

Reaction score
Well, tomorrow is the big day! Spring Nationals is a full on go. The car is stickered up, passed tech, course has been walked and I am mentally ready to go!

The course appears to be very open and will be very fast. There are a few places that I imagine time will be made or lost but otherwise the course doesn't look overly technical. It certainly is a power course. Any and all help in STX is a good thing!

I will have my usual write up (minus MSN paint course maps, they have nice ones!) come Tuesday but I figured I would tease a little.

I'm not sure if there are any other S197Forum people at Spring Nationals, but you can watch Sam Strano and myself here:
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/sccasolo

And see our times here:
www.sololive.scca.com

STX runs heat 5 so we are dead last both days.

Whiskey11

Reaction score
Time for that Project Tilty Update from Spring Nationals!

Before we start, in the last "update" I mentioned that I had two goals for Spring Nationals.

First, don't place DFL and second, don't be DFL of the cars that competed both days.

Keep that in mind as you are reading!

Also, I would like to give a special thanks to Danny Kao for making me feel welcome. I realize I'm not an overly social person when I'm in groups of folks I don't know so thank you for going out of your way to make this oddball project and antisocial driver feel welcome! :) I would also like to give a thanks to Sam Strano for giving me a few tips and taking a few of his brief free moments between the two Strano Parts FRS's on either side of me to give me a few pointers on car setup. It was unexpected and greatly appreciated!

May 26, 2013 – Race Day 1
So nothing special has changed between the previous update and this one in terms of car setup... well, ok, except I moved the Watts Link pivot bolt to the top bolt hole which moved the rear roll center up about an inch and a half IIRC. This would hopefully help the car rotate a little easier in tighter sections of the course.

The weather the whole weekend was rain centric. I think it rained in the morning of each day of competition. The first run groups always had wet courses and by the end of the day, where I was in Heat 5, we had completely dry runs.

Day 1's course will look familiar to anyone who ran Nationals last year as it is the west course from Nationals just run in reverse. It didn't seem that way when walking as there were a few slight differences. Cones 606 and 603 at the end of the start "straight" where offset to the left rather than the right and the first slalom had a bit of an angle to it making the turn before the 5 cone draw a tighter than 90º turn.

The slight change at the beginning of the course was enough to trip up a few people who missed the last gate prior to the start of the slalom because it was offset left and you would already be looking ahead to the start of the slalom and just drive past it. See the video from my third run for a perfect example of that! Yes, that is my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

As it would turn out, I would only get one clean run in on Day 1 and it would also be the first. My second run the car had a transitional push that would crop up in the slaloms which was easily cured by a quarter turn more on the rear shocks but that run would end up with a cone coming out of Flop, Turn and River to clip cone 335. My last run was a DNF caused by looking too far ahead on course and just flat out missing the last gate on the start "straight". Rather than toss the run away I decided to finish the run at speed and gain a little more experience going into Day 2.

Run #1: 72.561
Run #2: 72.319 +2 (76.319)
Run #3: DNF (71.576...)

This put me in DFL going into Day 2. Never a good place to be but one that was not exactly unexpected.

Here are the videos from day 1:

May 27, 2013 – Day 2
Day 2 would start off with pouring rain. I'm being generous... when I arrived at 7:45AM the entire paddock was flooded with about an inch and a half of standing or running water. The lower drainage section that separated the fence and the padock was closer to 3 inches of water. At points during the drive down it was raining so hard that it was impossible to see and when I got on site that didn't change much. By the time the rain had stopped we had been delayed a substantial amount which would mean a LONGER day for me since I volunteered to help tear down afterwards.

Day 2's course was very straight forward, no-nonsense and direct. While walking the course I thought how boring the course was going to be to drive and the comments of people around me echoed my thoughts. Driving the course was significantly different than walking it. The course was still very straight forward and no-nonsense in it's implementation. Every slalom started on the outside of the turn prior to so you could carry TONS of speed into the slaloms. The course finished with a tight pinch to the finish line to keep the speeds sane going through the gates. What was interesting to me was the number of lines taken through the last corner as was evidenced by the rubber at the finish being ALL OVER the end.

Run 1 felt extremely good from a car setup standpoint. I think I maintained tire pressure at 32 front/30 rear for the entire 3 runs. It was working really well. Power delivery required some patience but the car seemed to just FLY through the course. Of course, the times didn't indicate much of "flying" through the course but it FELT that way! At the end of run #2 I realized that there was little hope of me catching the guy in front of me so I decided to have a little fun and maybe prove how genuinely insane I am! :)

Here, watch, till the end:

You got that right! What better way is there to go out having fun then to CRANK "Danger Zone" and just go balls out on course? To make matters even better, the start guy decided to join in the fun, was rocking out, and when it was my time to go did the Catapult "Shooter" maneuver with the kneeling and pointing to go. It was EPIC and to be honest, it kind of worked. I was having so much fun not giving any fucks that I managed to crank out a 56.973 but in the process lunched two cones. One at the end of a slalom and the other I understeered (driver induced!) into and lunched it hard. If nothing else that last run proved that I need to let go a little bit more. Maybe that was the "click" in my head that will hopefully push me to a higher level of driving. Neither of those two cones were something that couldn't have been avoided with a little clearer thinking and is indicative of time left on the course and to be honest were rookie mistakes.

So here were the run times:
Run #1: 58.397
Run #2: 57.559
Run #3: 56.973 +2 (60.973)

Here are the other two videos from Day 2:

At the end of Day 2, my times were slow enough to land me in 25 of 27 and only besting two people who didn't even run Day 2 (left due to weather I presume). So technically, I didn't place DFL, but I failed the second goal of not being DFL of the people who competed both days. Small victories are important for Project Tilty! :)

Another small victory came in the form of support from the announcer who said "If I was to build an STX car, it'd be a Mustang because I think it would be an absolute blast to drive." I concur, there is something about taking a boat and thrashing it around cones on street tires which is one of the reasons why I am where I am.

Mustangs in STX, Mustangs in STU, and Mustangs in ST in general
Lets just be clear on this point, my experience at Spring Nationals is not indicative of an ST prepped Mustang, nor is it driven by anyone worth their salt so my results are not to be taken too seriously. At this point, I am doubting quite heavily that any allowance the SEB/STAC would allow for live axle cars, heavy cars, whatever, would make a Mustang competitive in ST. Lets do some bench racing shall we? Assuming tire compound doesn't change (in this case it would be Star Specs), the time difference between 245's (what I'm on) and 265's (class limit) is about .75 seconds. At the end of day 2 I was 10.42 seconds behind the top guy and 7.51 seconds behind the last torphy spot. At 1.5 seconds total reduction, I'ms till 8.92 seconds behind the top guy and 6.01 seconds behind the last trophy spot. Even if the SEB/STAC where to open that up to 285's that time would only drop about another 1.5 seconds to 7.42 seconds off first and 4.51 seconds off. Even out to 315's, another 1.6 seconds off THOSE times to 5.82 seconds off the lead and 2.91 seconds off of the trophies. That is of course assuming a 60 second course of which these two courses kinda "washed out" to be in cumulative time.

That only focuses on the tires, how about on driver modifications and driver confidence from bigger wheels and tires? I honestly don't know how you could apply a time to it, but even at a very generous 1.5 seconds we aren't even within driver noise yet. It would REALLY have to boost the capabilities of these cars to kill over 5 seconds to be even in the same ballpark as the top contendors are. Then we have weight reduction possibilities too. There is about 165lbs (being generous) of weight to remove that are allowed in ST for this car. That translates to about 2% reduction in time on a 60 second course or 1.2 seconds.

It would seem that with a good driver, unlimited wheel width and 315 street tires that the 05+ Mustangs might have a potential course dependancy. I would LOVE to see the complaint letters if the SEB/STAC ever approved such a measure for Pony Cars and I'm sure it would generate a ton of animosity there too as another one of THOSE "Pony Car" allowances.

To me, such a move sounds like something STU could support. Rather than making this a pony car specific allowance, why not open up all 2WD tires to unlimited width in STU, move the Mustang and any lingering pony cars from STX to STU and let us duke it out with the boost buggies (admitedly on 245's). IIRC, and please, DO correct me if I'm wrong, the M3's are pretty limited in ST trim on wheel widths and the Littlehale M3 to somewhere around 275's and maybe 285's if you let the rubbing move the fenders or whatever you want to call it. I get it, I get it, I get it, STU is FASTER than STX but it doesn't make sense to open up the wheels/tire allowances in STX when STU is pretty much there and the nearest competitor to the STI and Evo can't even run the currently allowed class maximum size.

What's Next for Project Tilty?
Project Tilty may be coming to a close. It takes some pretty hardcore stupidity and dedication to continue to fight a battle that can't be won. I'm not even sure the car could trophy at this point. That seems like a convenient cop out for someone to use when they get their ass handed to them but looking at the time split, even with alien like driving abilities and maxed preparation, I don't think any allowance will get the car there.

I had a conversation with Danny and Sam about Mustangs in ST while waiting in impound and I think the general consensus was still the "no duh, go play in ESP". They made some compelling points about buying used A6's and running on those instead of continuing the fight in ST. The switch would only require wide A6's and wide/light wheels. My concern will always be on cost both in the short term and long term and this was the primary appeal of ST. Unless things change for me financially (I'm trying, trust me!) it doesn't seem likely that I could afford to make that switch this year. It would mean giving up on going to Nationals if I did. No guarantees that I'm going now either though.

Anyway, a move to ESP will most likely happen sooner than anticipated and as soon as next year. In doing so I will have to forgo any other planned mods than wheels/tires for next year (assuming no changes to finances) since I will most likely have to buy new street tires to drive on since I doubt the Star Specs will survive this season. That decision wont be made quite yet though. I'm still interested in hearing what, if anything, the SEB/STAC does.

Photos courtesy of Andy Seipos:

8870161372_fcde8aeb42_o.jpg

8870161434_ecffa3ecf3_o.jpg

8870161486_3b63856786_o.jpg

8869548561_9e4bc9264a_o.jpg

8869548615_6b4c30bc8a_o.jpg

Last edited:

sholzer

forum member
Reaction score
Good write up, I was listening in and cheering you on for some hope of these cars in STX.

That said, I'm so happy that I ended up scoring on those cheap hoosiers and I am just about dreading going back to street tires next year (especially if the rules stay the same), even after just one event. I'm even considering heading to the DC prosolo next weekend if I get off the waitlist (slim chance with how late I signed up though) because I want to see how I stack up against some national level competition, but I'm not sure when I'd be able to afford another set of tires, and like you said, I think running Mustangs in ST* is a losing battle at that level

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
At the end of Day 2, my times were slow enough to land me in 25 of 27 and only besting two people who didn't even run Day 2 (left due to weather I presume). So technically, I didn't place DFL, but I failed the second goal of not being DFL of the people who competed both days. Small victories are important for Project Tilty! :)
Yea, that's pretty far down the ranking list, and should be a wake-up call. But not a "throw in the towel moment". There were a lot of factors at the Spring Nats that were against you...

First, you really haven't barely begun to prep the car yet, and haven't done the most important thing in Solo: go to the maximum wheel and tire size. Or even the modern compounds. I would bet money that the top STX guys weren't on 2012-era ST tires, and many of them had full tread "Rains" for this 20 year flood conditions that were present in Nebraska.

Realistically, your car is running on lowering springs and Konis with some last-generation 245mm Dunlops. At best your car is prepped to about what I'd call maybe... 60% of the max, and there's still quite a bit left to do. Yes, these things cost money. And take real testing to get dialed in, when you have more things to adjust than you do now (damper settings, swaybar settings, ride heights, camber and caster settings, etc). And I don't know anything about your driving skills or placement in previous classes/cars at National level events, but driving can always be improved - ask any top driver and they will agree they could always improve, too. Don't take that the wrong way - you've done a good bit, but it isn't nearly what the top guys in STX have done to their cars.

And if you've never trophied at Nationals before, go bribe a proven winner to co-drive with you at as many events as possible. Riding through with someone could lop seconds off of your run times, and/or they may see or "feel" something huge to improve on the set-up. If you lived anywhere near Texas I'd volunteer to co-drive with ya at least once, to see how far off of our STX car it was.

And the CRAP weather (it downpoured two out of four days!) from the Spring Rainfest Nationals makes comparing results in class almost impossible. This generated nearly worthless data.

Mustangs in STX, Mustangs in STU, and Mustangs in ST in general
Lets just be clear on this point, my experience at Spring Nationals is not indicative of an ST prepped Mustang, nor is it driven by anyone worth their salt so my results are not to be taken too seriously.
OK, we're with you there...

At this point, I am doubting quite heavily that any allowance the SEB/STAC would allow for live axle cars, heavy cars, whatever, would make a Mustang competitive in ST. Lets do some bench racing shall we?

Whoa, wait... bench racing. The dangerous thinking begins here. ;)

Assuming tire compound doesn't change (in this case it would be Star Specs), the time difference between 245's (what I'm on) and 265's (class limit) is about .75 seconds. At the end of day 2 I was 10.42 seconds behind the top guy and 7.51 seconds behind the last torphy spot. At 1.5 seconds total reduction, I'ms till 8.92 seconds behind the top guy and 6.01 seconds behind the last trophy spot. Even if the SEB/STAC where to open that up to 285's that time would only drop about another 1.5 seconds to 7.42 seconds off first and 4.51 seconds off. Even out to 315's, another 1.6 seconds off THOSE times to 5.82 seconds off the lead and 2.91 seconds off of the trophies. That is of course assuming a 60 second course of which these two courses kinda "washed out" to be in cumulative time.

You then go on to calculate how much time you'd gain with the right tire size, chassis weight loss, etc. After looking at results from a throw-away rain event. Hold on now! Where on earth do you get these factors and formulas? Me thinks from someone's rectum. ;)

Sure, there is likely some sort of gross factor you can put on the +20mm of tire you still haven't utilized (and the "why" still baffles me), but there is a lot more left to do to your car than than that. And while we struggled mightily in STX with our 430 whp Mustang, when we jumped to STU in late 2011 and added 1" of wheel width and only +10mm of tire width, the car WOKE UP. It went from a big hot mess always boiling the rear tires in an autocross run to a STU class winner and top PAX contender. There isn't some magical formula that is incremental in nature, sometimes a small increase has atypical results.

Anyone that tells you otherwise is blowing smoke. Sure, people spend a lot of time on the interwebs and tend to get a little "calculation crazy", but nothing replaces real timed testing at showing you what works.

That only focuses on the tires, how about on driver modifications and driver confidence from bigger wheels and tires? I honestly don't know how you could apply a time to it, but even at a very generous 1.5 seconds we aren't even within driver noise yet. It would REALLY have to boost the capabilities of these cars to kill over 5 seconds to be even in the same ballpark as the top contendors are. Then we have weight reduction possibilities too. There is about 165lbs (being generous) of weight to remove that are allowed in ST for this car. That translates to about 2% reduction in time on a 60 second course or 1.2 seconds.

And what about the SUSPENSION, that has barely been modified from stock!?! This area still has immense potential on your car. :beer:

These above calculations are very very hard to substantiate and are, at best, a blind stab in the dark. Now even though I agree with you that the S197 has a lot more to potential in STU (with a potential upgrade to hopefully a 315mm tire) than in STX (on a 265mm tire) I don't agree at all with your calculations. The hard truth is: your 10+ second time detriment wasn't just tires. To make even an educated guess on what "time amount" is left, you would need to prep the car to the limit of STX (headers, exhaust, cold air, weight loss, seats, max width tires and wheels, the latest tire compound, real shocks and spring rates, lots of camber, real testing) and then take a proven driver and throw them into a "big" event... that was dry. None of those things have been done here, sorry. Don't jump to conclusions on poor data.

jump-to-conclusions-mat.jpg

MOOT! hehehe...

It would seem that with a good driver, unlimited wheel width and 315 street tires that the 05+ Mustangs might have a potential course dependancy. I would LOVE to see the complaint letters if the SEB/STAC ever approved such a measure for Pony Cars and I'm sure it would generate a ton of animosity there too as another one of THOSE "Pony Car" allowances.

To me, such a move sounds like something STU could support. Rather than making this a pony car specific allowance, why not open up all 2WD tires to unlimited width in STU, move the Mustang and any lingering pony cars from STX to STU and let us duke it out with the boost buggies (admitedly on 245's). IIRC, and please, DO correct me if I'm wrong, the M3's are pretty limited in ST trim on wheel widths and the Littlehale M3 to somewhere around 275's and maybe 285's if you let the rubbing move the fenders or whatever you want to call it. I get it, I get it, I get it, STU is FASTER than STX but it doesn't make sense to open up the wheels/tire allowances in STX when STU is pretty much there and the nearest competitor to the STI and Evo can't even run the currently allowed class maximum size.

_DSC0590-M.jpg
DSC_7410-M.jpg

One of these things is not like the other... S197 at left, E36 on 315s at right.

Well, you are forgetting one massive factor: the Pony Cars generally all have SOLID AXLE rear suspensions. Horse and buggy stuff when compared to the 5-link and IRS bits on most 2WD cars in STU, like the BMW E46/E36/E82/E90 chassis cars. There simply is no comparison. If you gave all 2WD cars 315mm tire limits in STU, I'd tell people to go build an E46 M3 for the STU, RIGHT NOW. And those E46 M3 cars can fit that much tire with the grey rules in ST regarding "fender contours". How else do you think people managed 10" wheels and even 285mm tires on skinny little E36 M3s, that came with OEM front 225mm tires!

DSC_5464-M.jpg
DSC_5867-M.jpg

Left: STU prepped E36 M3 on 18x10" wheels and 285/30/18 tires. Right: My own STU prepped E36 M3 on 18x10" wheels

For that reason (solid axle), yes, the "pony cars" do NEED something extra. The 315mm allowance is part of the answer, and I doubt that this alone will be enough to close the gap to the AWD boost buggies. But it will make these V8 pony cars immensely more driveable, and pleasurable to autocross, instead of feeling like you are skating around on ice.

Project Tilty may be coming to a close. It takes some pretty hardcore stupidity and dedication to continue to fight a battle that can't be won. I'm not even sure the car could trophy at this point. That seems like a convenient cop out for someone to use when they get their ass handed to them but looking at the time split, even with alien like driving abilities and maxed preparation, I don't think any allowance will get the car there.
Again - you've barely scratched the surface on Street Touring prep! :( Don't throw out the baby with the bath water. One epically bad results doesn't give you enough data to make such a drastic change. You'd need to do as much and MORE to win in ESP than you would in STX. Trust me on that one...

...the general consensus was still the "no duh, go play in ESP". They made some compelling points about buying used A6's and running on those instead of continuing the fight in ST. The switch would only require wide A6's and wide/light wheels. My concern will always be on cost both in the short term and long term and this was the primary appeal of ST.
To switch to ESP will raise your per-run-costs dramatically over an ST class. Again - been there, done that. You might want to ask people who have run both categories (ST and SP) in the same car that don't have an ax to grind against one category. And I include myself here: you know I've had a beef with the S197 in STX classing for a while, too. ;)

Even buying "used" A6s (which are falling off a cliff after about a dozen runs) you aren't going to "save money" by upping to ESP. I'd recommend new Kumho V710s if you want to run SP on a budget. But also remember that the allowed mods are even MORE extreme in ESP than in STX/STU... and those folks at the pointy end of the grid aren't running on Konis and lowering springs in ESP. They have A/C-less, purpose built race cars without emissions, "hybrid" drivetrain swaps that never existed from the factory, high end shocks, goofy aero mods, the HUGE FREAGIN TIRES.

DSC_4447-M.jpg
dsc_02241-M.jpg

You should search out and ask Tim Bergstrom (owner of the car above) about the switch from STX to ESP in his 2006 Mustang GT. Very similar to your car, except he went much further in STX than you have so far. His car placed 2nd at Nationals in ESP last year but it is a LOT further along now than he ever was in STX. No A/C, massive car diet, 1000# springs, real aero mods, and the like. Ask him if running ESP is "cheaper"...

It would mean giving up on going to Nationals if I did. No guarantees that I'm going now either though.
Well, sometimes these events are a wake-up call and you shouldn't go to Nationals, if your goal is to win or trophy. I figured that out in early 2011 - we were hopelessly outclassed in STX even Regionally, plus they were still allowing the STS Hondas to "Class Swap", so we bailed on Nationals. It was the right call for us at the time, but it still sucked. You being 25th out of 27 pretty much tells you that your chances in ST or SP at Nats this year ain't good, unless you win the Powerball or make some "life changes" that allow a lot more seat time, mods, and testing. Sometimes not going is the right call...

Anyway, a move to ESP will most likely happen sooner than anticipated and as soon as next year. In doing so I will have to forgo any other planned mods than wheels/tires for next year (assuming no changes to finances) since I will most likely have to buy new street tires to drive on since I doubt the Star Specs will survive this season. That decision wont be made quite yet though. I'm still interested in hearing what, if anything, the SEB/STAC does.
I hate to see you throw out all hopes and aspirations for ST from this showing. Again, look at what you've done to the car (and not) and then ask yourself - will jumping to ESP somehow obviate the need to do these things AND MORE to be competitive? I saw what it was going to take to win ESP - a purpose built race-only car, that we would have to be willing to cut up/flare, yank the A/C and emissions from, and exploit every update/backdate loophole.

7941193048_16f78c6a93_k-M.jpg

ESP is fun, and giant R compound gumballs make the car easier to drive, I won't lie, but it is by NO means a "cheaper" way to autocross than Street Touring. ST is -the- most affordable class to build for, bar none. I would have said "Street" class, but they just butchered that proposal and it is now just "Stock with Street Tires", and the costs-per-run will still suffer greatly on many cars without special-model camber allowances. :(

But don't take my word for it (someone who has built an S197 for both STX and ESP). Ask Tim Bergstrom. Ask anyone else that has built for ST and SP in the same car, and took the prep/testing/mods very seriously. Sure, asking people who haven't run ST seriously and they will give you semi-informed opinions, but like many hard lessons on the interwebs, "all opinions are not equal", because all expereince levels are not equal. I think the consensus among those that have done both seriously will be that ST is a far more affordable route to take than SP, if you want to place well at Nationals events. ESP is easier to set-up for than STX, but the main problem here is... the car is classed wrong in STX. That is the area we all need to pressure the SEB/STAC on. If/when this car moves to STU (and gets a bump in tire maximum) things will be a lot less painful for these cars. :naughty1:

Last edited:

Conekiller

forum member
Reaction score
I was following the live timing this weekend listening to stx class. Had my hopes up you could finish well over both days and was saddened seeing you end up so far back. I'm to stubborn to give up on stx yet so plans are still on for me to attend nationals this year, hoping to snag one of the last trophy positions but expecting similar results that you had.

I still think these cars can do okay in stx at a local level but agree that nationally its an uphill battle with no arms and two bad legs. Thinking about all the money spent prepping my car for stx, it really does seem like insanity considering the odds of doing well nationally.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back