Pulling in header collectors with a ratchet strap

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Have you guys ever done this?

Over this weekend I pulled out my old set of JBA's (which I've had exhaust aligment issues with since day 1, because the collectors were uneven) and replaced them with a new set of 304 stainless JBA's.

Well, the new ones line up better but the collectors are REALLY close to the framerails.

If I get them in and torqued down, would it hurt anything to try to pull the collectors in a bit with a ratchet strap or possibly pry on them a little? Just to see if I can make a little more room.

travelers

Reaction score
With everything welded they are just going to spring back. About the only way to do that is to heat the pipes up and then try to move the collector. I don't think prying on them with out heating the pipes up will allow the pipes to relax to the new position. You can try it, I've only been wrong once in the last 5 years. Hahahaha just kidding.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well I don't have the headers fully tightened down yet, and the engine's still up on a jack, but it looks like it might be 1/4" on each side- it might be different once I put the mounts back in and lower it, but I swear the old set of headers had more clearance than that.

I guess if nothing else, I have some header wrap laying around from a previous project and I will wrap them down at the bottom.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Meh, what are they going to warm up.

I've been thinking of wrapping my ebay headers.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well I guess I'm more concerned about accelerated corrosion from the heat- and also they look close enough to possibly make contact which I don't want either.

travelers

Reaction score
If you not using stock mounts, you should be ok on acceleration not hitting. If they are made of 304SS you should never see any corrosion.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
Why did you replace ill fitting JBAs with another set of JBAs?

Mine had the same issue. Try shifting the engine from the k-member.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Was hoping these would be better, and I already had a catted h pipe for it, didn't want to buy another for a different set of headers. Ah well

Edit: Also I was referring to corrosion of the frame rails/floorboards.

Looking at pics I took when I installed the other headers, I think maybe they aren't that much closer on the driver's side than the others were. The passenger side one didn't fit right from the get-go, and I could barely get the H pipe over the collector, so something was up with that set. These ones at least have the collectors at the same height and ending at the same spot. I'll make it work.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Draw them in with the ratchet strap if you need too, once you bolt the mid pipe in and run the car they will relax enough with heat cycling to be fine
Even if you had to use this method every single time you remove the mid pipe I would call that acceptable.

Last edited:

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'll have to try that, only thing I'm not sure about is that JBA's H pipe is a 2-piece. So I'm not sure if that might allow it to move back out.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
Weld the H-pipe where it joins at the h.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back