Putting an oil Temp and Pressure Gauge

Goog

Reaction score
Hello I am looking for a kit to install a oil temp gauge and oils presure gauge on my 2007 Mustang GT ,with out unhooking the factory sending unit. any help? Please :clap::damnit:

martinr69

Reaction score
I had the same problem with mine. I looked and looked andevery website I found said to make a T and install them both in the factory location. But the T they was showing looked very weak. I looked at it as if I hit a bump or pot hole will that T snap or crack.

I didn't wantto take the chance on that so I just installed the new one and kept the factory disconnected. I have had no problem with the motor or oil pressure. The only issue is that the oil light stays on, but that's about it.

Last edited:

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I want oil pressure and oil temp gauges as well but only have room for one more gauge, does anyone make a combo (oil pressure and temp) gauge?

Goog

Reaction score
my solution so far

I bought a braded hose from a compnay to reclocate the oil filter housting and went and got a air line aluminum housing and installed it , that way I still have my factory hook up,But I dont get a temp reading from it . I'll post a picture.

Goog

Reaction score
Martin

Martin how did you run your wires for the dash pod, in the center of your dash?

48prerunner

forum member
Reaction score
I have to hook these up also I think the saleens used a combo oil temp and pressure sender at least thats what it looks like on the pics of a PJ but I'm not sure maybe if somebody owns one they can check. I was going to go with one of those sandwich blocks that go between the oil filter and the block.

Horsepower

Reaction score
I did mine with my buddy @ a local Ford Dealership, we just needed to make a t out of brass fittings, & installed both the Autometer Sending Unit on the end & the factory sending unit on the other. Some strategis placement made it work. I can post a pic if you want, here's my pod:
30807560092_large.jpg

ellerstang

sn95 3-valve swap
Reaction score
u can get the copper t and copper lines at almost any autoparts store.. i had to do this because none of my gauges work because of the swap into an older model stang..

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
I used a 1/4" npt brass T from one of the major home building suppliers, and I think a brass 90* as well. Kept the stock sensor and added a secondary pressure adapter; they both work fine, and knowing exactly what the pressure is is very nice to know!

Will have to find a pic of the setup.

For gauges, using a dual VEI digital in the vent pod. very nice!

(...this post is worthless without pics...lol!)

gunner_501

Reaction score
I was wondering how other companies, Saleen, Shelby did their gauge installs and came up with this gadget from Shelby

http://www.shelbystore.com/product-p/p5s3z-9b339-a.htm

It just bolts to the side of the block, the braided hose goes where the stock sensor was and you put your stock and aftermarket sensors in the manifold.

Here is the pdf file on how Shelby did their install.
http://www.teamshelby.com/shelbystore/docs/Gauge_Pod_Install.pdf

I installed some Autometer Sport Comp II gauges (water temp, oil pressure and voltmeter) in an SOS dash pod and the biggest pain was running the wires up through the defroster vent. It really wasn't that bad but did take a bit of time and patience.

I know this is worthless without pics but as soon as I get the car back from having some painting done I'll post a couple.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Boozshey

Reaction score
Pretty cool idea, but of course a little pricie for something that the sandwich adapter would do.

MTAS

Flesh is the Law
Reaction score
Just cut the wire for the stock oil pressure sending unit and ground it. Your computer will never know the difference and you're not losing any information since you're putting in a real gauge any way. I've been running that way for 5 years and no issues. Cut the wire, ground it, be done with it.

gunner_501

Reaction score
Oh I agree the sandwich adapter is much cheaper and better than a bunch of brass fittings hanging under the car. The only problem that I see with the sandwich adapter is that you have to use a shorter oil filter which to me means less filtering capacity and I didn't like that idea.

Boozshey

Reaction score
Take off your sway bar... I am very doubtful that the shorter filter is going to have any effect on anything.

gunner_501

Reaction score
I had thought of that as well but since I run the car at Texas Motor Speedway once in a while for charity I think a swaybar is a must. I had even thought of remote mounting the filter but I saw one set up and that didn't appeal to me either.

2NY

icedesign
Reaction score
Just cut the wire for the stock oil pressure sending unit and ground it. Your computer will never know the difference and you're not losing any information since you're putting in a real gauge any way. I've been running that way for 5 years and no issues. Cut the wire, ground it, be done with it.

which wire to cut?

have a diagram?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back