Putting on Stripes

mynameismike65

forum member
Reaction score
My GF has an 05 mini cooper s. It has stripes on the hood (4" irc). She bought some new ones (same size, different color). She wants to install them this weekend. I have never dealt with stripes/vinyl. Maybe this is a stupid question, but she wants me to try to put the new ones on top of the old. Other than being thicker, will this have any negative effects? Will it not adhere properly? If I do have to take the old ones off, what is the best method? What scares me is they have been on there since 05. Any advice is appreciated. :beerchug2:

mynameismike65

forum member
Reaction score
What is the proper way to remove stripes? I will do some searching on google too but figured I would see if anyone here has done it too.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
My GF's 07 R56 Mini had factory stripes on the hood and on the side. We took them off in 2012 before she sold it. I had to do a pretty invasive paint detail afterwards since the areas covered were easily differentiated.

What is the proper way to remove stripes? I will do some searching on google too but figured I would see if anyone here has done it too.

Heat gun, that's it.

BadHabit2Break

forum member
Reaction score
Being that it is an 05....they stripes are not comming off easy.

I would remove the old and clean really well, before installing the new ones.

If you have trouble, take it to a local sign shop that deals with vehicles. They should be able to do it.

Paladin LL 06

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Try searching nymustangs.com. Someone on that site did it recently. I think it's a bitch of a job, but do it right and do it once. The dudes name may have been alloygt07, or some derivative of that. Good luck.

ChiDiddy

forum member
Reaction score
i had my stripes on for 2 years and it began to crack. Removal was a PAIN.

Has her stripes begun cracking? FOr removal, i used a heat gun. a blade, and someone adhesive removal. If her stripes havent started cracking, a heat gun or blower dryer may be enough to rmeove it all in one piece.

I wouldnt reccomend putting it over the old decals. Probably adhesion issues like someone else mentioned. The paint under will be darker so you will be able to see exactly where the old stripes were.

Back