Question about a 1854 Gold 2 1/2 dollar coin and other gold.

Reaction score
My mother has this gold 1854 2 1/2 dollar coin just like this one. About the same condition if not better!
72835-img052.jpg

This is the only gold one she has, the others are silver ect.. and not quite as old.
She also has a gold 14k wedding band with 4 diamonds and 3 rubies in it that was hers when she was married.
Lastly, she has a very old 10k gold ring that was my grandmothers and then passed on to her. It is in the shape of a star on top and has real rubies, diamonds, and emeralds in it.
Very beautiful rings.. Well she was decided to part with these 3 things and looking to sell them.
I checked to see what gold is going for right now but I am sure I should get them all appraised before I try to sell.

Any advice on this would be great! Thank you.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
Like mentioned, have them appraised. With the coin, there are little things that can make it either simply worth it's weight in gold (literally), or if it's something super rare (like an 1854S) then it can be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars.

It would be real shitty to sell it for $1,500 when it's really worth $150,000.

stang7300

Mostly Insane...
Reaction score
Like mentioned, have them appraised. With the coin, there are little things that can make it either simply worth it's weight in gold (literally), or if it's something super rare (like an 1854S) then it can be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars.

It would be real shitty to sell it for $1,500 when it's really worth $150,000.

Exactly...big difference between bullion value and numismatic value. There are a lot of old coins out there just worth their gold or silver content.

Here are a few helpful links.

www.kitco.com

http://www.coinfacts.com/

http://www.apmex.com/

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
Definitely do some research on that coin! Old gold coins can be worth some big bucks! Really check the internet alot, or find a book with some rough values, so when you go to any local shops, they don't try to rip you off.

Reaction score
I checked 4 places today and online. So far the coin is worth around $250-260.

Jewelry stores and resale shops will only give me (the most) $150 for the wedding band and $75 for the eastern star ring.

So, I am still searching...

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You might be over-valuing the coin a bit by grading it higher than it should be. Most quarter eagles are going to go for $230-$250 depending on condition unless you have one that is UC, cased, and documented. Or if it does happen to have a San Francisco mint mark. Which if you are lucky enough to pull that rabbit out of your ass I would be surprised since the "S" minting of that particular coin is the lowest minted coin of that denomination and the fourth lowest of any U.S. gold coin. They are only around 4 grams or so in weight. So you are actually getting a little bit of a break by being able to sell it for coin value over bullion value.

The rings are not going to be worth anything more than weight price for the karat value. Certainly not enough to retire on or get real excited about. In the case of most rings like what you are describing, sentimental value is going to far exceed market value.

I would say if someone is just absolutely completely desperate for money then go ahead and sell the stuff. But if not, just keep it. Not like it is that much money. Most people would put more than $450 worth of sentimental value just on their old wedding set which is about what a realistic value of all the pieces you listed is.

Reaction score
I think she wants me to sell the wedding band and the coin. She does need the money...I am just trying to help her get the most she can. :/

Thanks for the input!

Back