Questions on new tires.

Skarkull

forum member
Reaction score
So, after sitting up for a year my tires aren't looking the best and I'm in the market for new ones. My wheels are 18x9 up front and 18x10 on the rear. I current run Continental Extreme Contact DW's in 255/45/18 front and 275/40/18 on the rear. I live in southern Arizona now and it's fairly dry most of the year with the exception of late spring early summer when it's "monsoon" season. I think I'd prefer all seasons to allow the weather change but I'd entertain the use of summer tires. What's good out right now? I'm looking at the new Continental DWS 06 as they are all seasons and higher rates than my old ones. Any suggestions on a better tire?

fast Ed

forum member
Reaction score
Only other top performing tire in that category would be the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3, or the latest version A/S 3+. They offer that one in 285/40R18 if you wanted to match the front and rear diameters more closely.

No personal experience with those Michelins, but I did have the previous generation Conti DWS on a crapper Taurus SHO a few years back ... I thought that they were a pretty impressive performer for a tire in that category. Ugly-ass tread design though! The new DWS 06 doesn't look quite so bad.

cheers
Ed

frank s

at Play
Reaction score
If the tires are reasonably new, "aren't looking the best" is not really a good reason to spend money on new tires. In normal storage and even daily use tires exude chemicals that turn them some ugly colors. A little scrub with any number of products might save you a lot of money.

You get various estimates as to the age-ing out of tires, which you might want to research. Some say seven years maximum; I figure on a performance-oriented car, five is stretching it a bit.

Of course, if you want to buy new tires for any reason, you're free to do so. Clean up the old ones and don't let the mounter have them. You'll make a couple bucks and feel good about it.

Skarkull

forum member
Reaction score
Not looking the best I meant they are showing signs of dry rot. Decent size cracks in the rubber, etc.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I have the Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3 on the back of my car and frankly I'm not overly impressed with the traction. I have a basically stock 5.0 with gears and a tune but I can spin them at will. My friend at the tire shop got me these instead of the Pilot Super Sports that I wanted, I bought them rather than say anything to him about it (his wife ordered them for me).

They are quiet, ride great, corner fairly well but give them a bit too much power and they are greasy. They don't even squeal, just spin. If you don't drive aggressively then they are about perfect. But it's a Mustang, not a Camry.

Skarkull

forum member
Reaction score
Here's some pictures so you can see what I mean. After closer inspection it's only the fronts, and those are my old KDW2's. Might just pick up the Extreme Contact DW's as to match the rear.

d51d60da69704ee8a252fd4ecf0a7328.jpg
2b86d1fbeaeb0979db9fa772ba7678dd.jpg
c27b725e83b0dd8940609e9e5706b48d.jpg

Paladin LL 06

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I just bought the Pilot Super Sports. I am still in the 500 mole break in period, but they seem good so far. I have heard from others that have them, that they are an excellent tire. Good luck with your choice!

KatoS197

forum member
Reaction score
They are quiet, ride great, corner fairly well but give them a bit too much power and they are greasy. They don't even squeal, just spin. If you don't drive aggressively then they are about perfect. But it's a Mustang, not a Camry.

I had the exact same experience. Oddly dissatisfying tires.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back