quick question about clutches

Kaldar142

Reaction score
So, i went to the track last night with my newly acquired hoosiers..

first pass of the night was a 12.8 @ 112 with a 1.88 60ft, i just revved it to around 5-5.5k and dumped the clutch and floored it.

not bad for first time out on slicks, so i tried again and reved off redline and dumped the clutch and got a 2.0 60ft with a 12.9 @ 110.

I should also add that during the burnout my clutch was slipping, lol... and after every run i could smell my clutch. my car is also becoming harder to powershift, harder than i remember atleast... and its also becoming more common to miss gears IE not able to get it into gear under WOT. which is odd because i have a pro 5.0 shifter, prothane motor mounts and che k-member brace with torque limiters.

All this clutch drama started happening awhile back when i was fucking around doing burnouts, I was doing a 1st gear to 2nd gear burnout and wanted to try 3rd gear :thud:which didnt go down so well and immediately started to slip and the pedal went to the floor, pedal came back shortly after but the car would drive very odd (take offs, shifting... etc)

i parked the car for a while and drove my other car for a couple of weeks, came back and the whole clutch issue was gone, except whenever i go to the track it slips.

when i did a second gear burnout on my NT05s at the track it was slipping quite a bit but was still putting down some of the power (enough to make a decent amount of smoke)

under street driving i hardly have any clutch issues except it is getting more difficult to shift fast / powershift under WOT.

what do you guys think? i feel as though if my 60fts were suffering because my clutch wasnt holding on the hard launches, because i could smell it after every run... even when i did 1st gear burnouts

Last edited:

tbrock

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
yep time for a new clutch. From my personal experience I would suggest a new slave unit as well, and go to www.bluecollarperformance.com and order a braided clutch line. Also I would go with Motul or equiv. synthetic fluid.

Kaldar142

Reaction score
I'm going to be putting a procharger on my car in the next few weeks... so i want to make sure i have a clutch that can handle it and some more.

any recommendations?

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
SPEC 3+ Clutch and matching flywheel with a new OEM TOB nuff said.

Before anyone says that the OEM TOB isn't good enough I have 45,000 miles and over 1,700 1/4 mile runs on it with no hint of a problem.

As for the SPEC clutch, it was in Ron's car first and I threw it in last spring used and I have beat the crap out of it without a single issue.

Kaldar142

Reaction score
Ive been hearing alot about the Roush P51, is it just the clutch or does it have a new pressure plate with it too?

Also, i've heard quite a few bad things about Spec clutches...

Jeffs FRC

forum member
Reaction score
I would stay far away from any kind of Spec product. They have a bad rep in the LSx community for poor quality. A few have even exploded at high rpm causing massive damage.

What is the go to clutch for these S197's?

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
The Roush P51 is just the disk. It requires a factory pressure plate, flywheel, and TOB ideally. I bought a new pressure plate and TOB but just resurfaced my flywheel since it only had 15,000 miles on it and no real high spots in it. Most people have had phenomenal results with the Roush P51 clutch though. I had some trouble with it until it reached 600 miles and now it's pretty damn nice. Rarely any chatter, feels just like stock and engages similiar to stock. It's not something that is going to become a burden to drive which is exactly what I didn't want since I drive my car every single day. I might upgrade to a McLeod when this goes out though. If you have the money I think the McLeod simply can't be beat. It's an amazing piece of work.

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I would stay far away from any kind of Spec product. They have a bad rep in the LSx community for poor quality. A few have even exploded at high rpm causing massive damage.

What is the go to clutch for these S197's?
Says the guy with 7 posts.

First of all what does an LSX clutch have to do with an S197?

Mine was used by Ron (94tbird) till he installed his TR-6060 and it had 500 runs on it.
I have been using it for the pat 2 summers and have put an additional 500 runs + 25,000 additional street miles on it.
My runs are full 5,000-6,000 rpm clutch drops on full slicks and it has never once slipped.
Most of us around here like to get our information first hand so here are a few quotes from some other SPEC 3+ users.
Most will tell you that the 3+ is grabby at first but I can slip mine in traffic with no problems.

the car had 6000 miles on it when the swap to the 3+ was done. the 3+ is still working strong after 5000 miles or so, and that includes 3 or 4 track rentals

i never had one issue with a spec clutch, either the 3+ or the p trim supertwin. only one i had an issue with was the stock clutch and the stock gt500 clutch. you cant get the regular series clutches from spec. you need the "+" series clutches. its a well known fact now.

Went with a Spec 3+ and Spec steel flywheel and haven't looked back. Over 100 1/4 mile passes power shifting and I beat the crap out of it on the street...still holding strong.

Man... i've had the Spec 3+ for 10k+ miles and 560rwhp/600rwtq and it's been great. Never slips, drives great, doesn't chatter.... love it. Brenspeed helped install mine and we had no issues

Well the new Roush P51 clutch in my car is already slipping and chattering under load with under 1K miles. Even on street tires it appears to be glazed and will not hold. What are you guys in the 600 rwhp range using for a clutch with good results? I dont mind extra pedal effort as long as it doesnt chatter while driving around town.

ROUSH STAGE 4

ANIL8R
Reaction score
The Spec 3+ seems to be the Spec with the least amount of problems, if I were to use them it's the one I would choose too. After reading all the problems people have had with Spec, I wouldn't go anywhere near them... Good job finding one issue with the Roush P-51 though, it's hard to find someone who had an issue with one.:thumb: To the op, you will find alot of opinions here about clutches so do yourself a favor and do a search and see what you come up with... it might save you alot of grief and money.

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
I can bet that the problem with that one P51 clutch is that it wasn't broken in properly. I almost missed the bus with my clutch but got it back into shape breaking it in properly.

2kanchoo

forum member
Reaction score
The Spec 3+ seems to be the Spec with the least amount of problems, if I were to use them it's the one I would choose too. After reading all the problems people have had with Spec, I wouldn't go anywhere near them... Good job finding one issue with the Roush P-51 though, it's hard to find someone who had an issue with one.:thumb: To the op, you will find alot of opinions here about clutches so do yourself a favor and do a search and see what you come up with... it might save you alot of grief and money.
I wouldn't go with a spec 2 or just spec 3. ONLY spec 3+.

2kanchoo

forum member
Reaction score
I can bet that the problem with that one P51 clutch is that it wasn't broken in properly. I almost missed the bus with my clutch but got it back into shape breaking it in properly.
What do you suggest for breaking them in right?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back