Quick Ratio Steering Rack???

jake_zx2

forum member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

so, after my autocross weekend, I've determined that a quicker steering ratio would help me greatly, but I can't seem to find any information on solutions. The only one I've found is the FRPP Boss 302S steering rack, which doesn't necessarily shorten up the ratio. Are there any other options out there?

travelers

Reaction score
If your sig is right '05 the Boss racks are electric power. I haven't read of anyone using it on a '05-'10 Stang. But I haven't done any research on it either as I have an '11

You might have better luck finding part numbers on a early FR500

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Lito did the swap for the electric steering rack

Nutter281

forum member
Reaction score
I'm using the boss rack as part of coyote swap in my '09. I've got everything in place just working through my list of electrical to-do's.

The one hurdle I've come up against on the EPAS swap is that I can't find the big 2 pin 12V power connector 'anywhere'. Ford dealer has spent hours trying to track it down.

Worst case (and that is approaching) I'm going to have to custom attach wire leads to the pins themselves to get power into the stupid thing.

That said, the EPAS uses 3 bolt for attachment where the hydraulic rack uses 2. I swapped to a K-member that was compatible with both types (Maximum Motorsports) so not an issue but I think you would need to do the same.

Austin

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
I added a 2-1 quick steer. But it was a pita. It also makes the steering a lot stiffer, almost like manual rack. Also, it makes it so quick if an unsuspecting driver were to drive your car they may ditch it right off the bat. Lol

Sent from iPhone

jake_zx2

forum member
Reaction score
A smaller diameter wheel was my first step in the process of fixing this, I'm just planning ahead in case that isn't enough. are there any other little tricks to "shortening" the steering? And yes, it is an '05... I forgot about the FR500 rack, I might have to look into that. @mach2burnout where did you get the 2-1 from?

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
A smaller diameter wheel was my first step in the process of fixing this, I'm just planning ahead in case that isn't enough. are there any other little tricks to "shortening" the steering? And yes, it is an '05... I forgot about the FR500 rack, I might have to look into that. @mach2burnout where did you get the 2-1 from?

I went with the 13' Sparco 353 Steering Wheel. It was pretty damn fast. I did not want for anything faster after that.

jake_zx2

forum member
Reaction score
I mean, The biggest issue is that I want to keep a wheel similar to stock. The smallest one I think I could get for our cars is the boss 302 wheel (unless the s550 steering wheel will work on our cars... I have a friend who switched to the gt350 wheel, so I'll have to see if I can grab his wheel to test fit)

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score

Speedway motors. But Howe unit is worth the extra $. The small one. It will have less slack than the Speedway brand. I really don't recommend this if you do much street driving.

If you do you have to mount it on the side of your frame. It will require a small bracket welded to the frame. Then you will need to wrap both the qs and the exhaust with header wrap. It's a pita.

I don't really understand the smaller steering wheel concept. Someone please explain.

Sent from iPhone

jake_zx2

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! I have no problem with the daily drive-ability aspect, my last car had a de-powered rack... that was a bitch! I just don't know about all the work involved... would prove difficult since I'm stationed overseas and living on base

The smaller steering wheel just sort of gives the illusion of a shorter ratio because you have to move your hands over a shorter distance. Great demonstration: get a small dinner plate or something, and hold it straight out from your body at 3 and 9... turn the plate so the top reaches about 45*. then get a larger dinner plate and do the same thing, you'll see the difference

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
I don't really understand the smaller steering wheel concept. Someone please explain.

Smaller lever (the distance from the center to the rim of the wheel) means that the amount you have to turn the rim to get the same "twist" at the center decreases. And the effort goes up. Which I think is a good thing.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! I have no problem with the daily drive-ability aspect, my last car had a de-powered rack... that was a bitch! I just don't know about all the work involved... would prove difficult since I'm stationed overseas and living on base

The smaller steering wheel just sort of gives the illusion
of a shorter ratio because you have to move your hands over a shorter distance. Great demonstration: get a small dinner plate or something, and hold it straight out from your body at 3 and 9... turn the plate so the top reaches about 45*. then get a larger dinner plate and do the same thing, you'll see the difference
It's not an illusion, it's math.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
"Overall" leverage (taken at the steering wheel rim) increases with a smaller steering wheel. But you still have to change hand positions at no more than the amount you could comfortably steer to with the larger wheel. Probably sooner, because the last few degrees that you can steer the wheel put your body working at increasingly poorer leverage with respect to the steering wheel rim motion required.

Norm

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
"Overall" leverage (taken at the steering wheel rim) increases with a smaller steering wheel. But you still have to change hand positions at no more than the amount you could comfortably steer to with the larger wheel. Probably sooner, because the last few degrees that you can steer the wheel put your body working at increasingly poorer leverage with respect to the steering wheel rim motion required.

Norm

Are you saying that a smaller wheel doesn't reduce hand movement?

Nutter281

forum member
Reaction score
Depends on your definition of reduced hand movement. Changing the diameter of the steering wheel doesn't change the degree of rotation of the steering wheel one bit for equivalent steering response. It does change the distance your hands move for the same degrees of rotation though because the circumference has changed.

To Norm's point, the reduced diameter means your hands create a smaller torque moment on the steering wheel meaning it is more difficult to steer - but not because each unit of rotation is getting you any more steering response from your rack.

Austin

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Are you saying that a smaller wheel doesn't reduce hand movement?
I'm saying that with a smaller steering wheel you won't steer the wheel over quite as many degrees before having to change your hand positioning., and it's still degrees of steering wheel rotation that gets your turning done to the desired turn radius. Your body's leverage to keep turning the steering wheel over drops off, and your arms are more likely to be getting in each other's way.

Up to that point, you do make smallish reductions in hand movement. But whether you can successfully negotiate any given autocross course with, say, only ±170° steering wheel rotation or if you need ±180° might matter.

Increased effort isn't the same thing as improved steering feel, anyway.

Norm

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
Ok so here's MO. If with a stock rack you have to turn the wheel 1 full turn + 90* of a 2nd turn, changing the steering wheel size will not change this at all. So in my mind you have done nothing except make your hands closer together and increased the effort needed to turn the wheel. I ask the question already knowing the answer, just wanted to know what others thinking was on doing this.

Sent from iPhone

jake_zx2

forum member
Reaction score
basically, but you'll find that with a smaller diameter steering wheel, you can turn the wheel further without having to change the position of your hands.
But back to the original topic for a second, mach2burnout, have you been finding any issues with your power steering pump keeping up with your steering inputs since you put that quickener on? I just want to make sure I'm prepared for every possible outcome if I decide to experiment with it

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
Nah, the only problem I've found it is a little stiff. When auto xing I have to be mindful not to use too much steering input and slide the front tires. It takes some getting use to. They also make a 1.5-1. I really think it would be better for my application, but hindsight is 20-20, right!

Sent from iPhone

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back