Rattle Can Ceramic Exhaust Paint - Success?

MassMustang

forum member
Reaction score
Damn! I forgot to take pics before I dropped the car off at a custom exhaust shop today, but I cleaned the headers up (they were fairly clean anyway), hit them with 5 coats of VHT Hi-Temp Exhaust Paint (silver) and used a 1000-degree heat gun to heat the headers and cure the paint between coats. They looked good but I'll post how they look after being installed and after a few hundred miles. I think they'll hold up nicely.

mike4.0

Reaction score
Damn! I forgot to take pics before I dropped the car off at a custom exhaust shop today, but I cleaned the headers up (they were fairly clean anyway), hit them with 5 coats of VHT Hi-Temp Exhaust Paint (silver) and used a 1000-degree heat gun to heat the headers and cure the paint between coats. They looked good but I'll post how they look after being installed and after a few hundred miles. I think they'll hold up nicely.

How did this turn out??

MassMustang

forum member
Reaction score
Ummm... Well, I have a few spots that flaked since July. I may not have cured the paint as much as I should've. I sanded it off a bit and once the work I'm having done on my car is complete (cams, springs, lockouts and new plugs), I'm gonna try touching up those spots while installed. I'll warm it up, throw on a coat, etc.

I've also heard some say powder coating will flake over time as well. Oh well.

mike4.0

Reaction score
Ummm... Well, I have a few spots that flaked since July. I may not have cured the paint as much as I should've. I sanded it off a bit and once the work I'm having done on my car is complete (cams, springs, lockouts and new plugs), I'm gonna try touching up those spots while installed. I'll warm it up, throw on a coat, etc.

I've also heard some say powder coating will flake over time as well. Oh well.

Good to hear, I'm in the process of media blasting my pacesetters right now. I'm going to try and paint them, hoping for some decent success lol

MassMustang

forum member
Reaction score
Good to hear, I'm in the process of media blasting my pacesetters right now. I'm going to try and paint them, hoping for some decent success lol

Maybe try letting them sit in the sun to hear up a bit? I think the heat gun would help from there. I think I may have rushed a few coats before running out the door with the family for the day. Don't rush it!!!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back