Rear brakes click when lightly applied

rgcary

Reaction score
Hey I'm new to this forum and it was recommended I ask out here since my rear brakes are stock GT brakes, although I have the Maxi-grip rear end in my all stock 2007 Saleen s281 SC.

Here we go. So when I apply the brakes lightly coming to a slow stop you can hear a click in the car, from the rear brakes. Applied hard and no click. My Saleen only has about 13,000 miles and pads are like new along with rotors. To me it sounds as if the pads are moving in the caliper? There is an anti-shim plate on the pads, but absolutely no brake grease on the back side of them. The previous owner kept them very clean. Stops just fine too, no issues.

Any ideas what this could be? I wanted to poke around on the forum to see if anyone else had this issue before I pull them, lube up and make sure all looks okay.

MADGT

forum member
Reaction score
I would recommend you do a complete visual inspection to see if there's a pad retainer missing (for lack of better word) or if you see something out of whack. I changed out my rotors and pads awhile back and can tell from experience that the pads "retainers" are a PITA to ensure they don't come lose during the install. Welcome to the forums by the way.

rgcary

Reaction score
Thank you.

I would recommend you do a complete visual inspection to see if there's a pad retainer missing (for lack of better word) or if you see something out of whack. I changed out my rotors and pads awhile back and can tell from experience that the pads "retainers" are a PITA to ensure they don't come lose during the install. Welcome to the forums by the way.

Thank you. I took the calipers/slide pins off yesterday and applied the correct lube to them. They appeared to be fine, but I disassembled and put back together. We'll see what happens when I drive it next.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Wow a new guy post in tech that can qualify. I'm impressed.

Welcome to the site. Please checkout the rules and follow.

Also where's the pics of the car

rgcary

Reaction score
Wow a new guy post in tech that can qualify. I'm impressed.

Welcome to the site. Please checkout the rules and follow.

Also where's the pics of the car

Thanks. :)

I did not take any pictures of the calipers or slide pins because it seemed too basic. I did however ref to YouTube and the link below ref GT rear brakes to make sure I was not getting into anything too deep. Absolutely no brake grease was on my Saleen in the areas mentioned, except for the slide pins. I look forward to learning more and providing input where I can in s197.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huewcbZHvx4&noredirect=1

Here is a pic of my 2007 s281 SC with just about 13,000 miles.

Attachments

• IMG_1357.jpg
    IMG_1357.jpg
    525.4 KB · Views: 11

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Car looks good. Any plans for Mods?

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Verify that the Anti Rattle Clips are there. Sounds like the pads are moving slightly in the bracket. Small Metrallic noises Amplify quickly!

rgcary

Reaction score
Car looks good. Any plans for Mods?

No mods other than appearance items on engine (new valve covers) and undercarriage. I plan to keep it stock as it's built by Saleen, no need to modify as its fine the way it is and so on.

Like your ride too!

rgcary

Reaction score
Verify that the Anti Rattle Clips are there. Sounds like the pads are moving slightly in the bracket. Small Metrallic noises Amplify quickly!

All parts are there on rear brakes and functioning, just with brake grease now. I learned from another fellow Saleen owner that when Saleen installs the short throw shifter and the car is lowered the shifter comes very close the drive shaft and sometimes can hit it depending what gear you're in. So that appears to be the issue. have not jacked it up to verify or take the shifter off as it's not that big of a deal and if I did see it's hitting a little I might be able to get the dremel out to grind it down a little.

Saleen has done a great job with building this car, but there are certain things I don't like where they could have paid a little more attention to detail. For starters it's the shifter possibly hitting the driveshaft and then the non adjustable pan hard bar when car is lowered. The rear driver tire sticks out slightly more than passenger. I mean it would not be that much more to address these small issues. So they leave it up to the owners to fix them.

Redline727

"I wanna go fast!"
Reaction score
Welcome! Love the car. Curious about the shifter being the problem. Take some pics once you get under there, to verify. I would have never thought that would have been your issue

Sent using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back