Rear end fortification suggestions

filtercharger

forum member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm in the process of upping the power on my '11 5.0 a little bit(wink wink), and I would like reinforce the 8.8. The car has factory installed 3.73s, and it's a 6sp manual, a clutch capable of handling 800+ pounds of torque will be installed, and the car will be making somewhere between 545-565whp.
What do you suggest as far as lower/upper control arms? bracing, etc? It is my daily driver and I would like it to ride as close to stock as possible, thanks in advance!

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm in the process of upping the power on my '11 5.0 a little bit(wink wink), and I would like reinforce the 8.8. The car has factory installed 3.73s, and it's a 6sp manual, a clutch capable of handling 800+ pounds of torque will be installed, and the car will be making somewhere between 545-565whp.
What do you suggest as far as lower/upper control arms? bracing, etc? It is my daily driver and I would like it to ride as close to stock as possible, thanks in advance!

I would recommend LPW girdle, CHE axle tube brace and CHE control arms with relo brackets. Should meet your needs.

mpf

forum member
Reaction score
I would recommend LPW girdle, CHE axle tube brace and CHE control arms with relo brackets. Should meet your needs.

Hey, WTB, where did you get LPW and CHE parts? Looked around here at the vendors, saw neither. I remember your foto of these 2 a while back.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
Hey, WTB, where did you get LPW and CHE parts? Looked around here at the vendors, saw neither. I remember your foto of these 2 a while back.

I got the girdle from JPC and the axle tube brace from a vendor here who had purchased and decided not to use.

Total I paid about the same as the package deal from CHE directly:
http://www.cheperformance.com/CartGenie/prod-258.htm

Here is the pic I posted from before:
CIMG0914.jpg

JDs Performance

forum member
Reaction score
I cna get you all that too pm me what you want and I will work up a package deal for you

D98GT

STREETCAR
Reaction score
I am also thinking about doing a little bit of work in the rear end. I don't plan on running on et streets every time, however its nice to goto the track and actually hook.

Would just the axle brace be significant enough for 1.6-1.7 60's?

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
I am also thinking about doing a little bit of work in the rear end. I don't plan on running on et streets every time, however its nice to goto the track and actually hook.

Would just the axle brace be significant enough for 1.6-1.7 60's?

Sure. I ran a 1.7 60' Sat night with just the girdle and axle tube brace. Rest of the suspension is bone stock.

D98GT

STREETCAR
Reaction score
I commented on that video on youtube ;)

I 60' 1.6 & 1.7 the other night completely stock other than the et streets--I just want to add a little bit of bracing just in case. It might not avoid the problem but I imagine it can help out

Wnt2gofst

Banned
Reaction score
I commented on that video on youtube ;)

I 60' 1.6 & 1.7 the other night completely stock other than the et streets--I just want to add a little bit of bracing just in case. It might not avoid the problem but I imagine it can help out

What rpms are you leaving at. Plan taking mine to track for first time next week. Running full slicks. But our track prep is t always the best.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
What rpms are you leaving at. Plan taking mine to track for first time next week. Running full slicks. But our track prep is t always the best.

It was shakedown night with the stuff on the car. 4500 seemed to net the best results but that was before I lowered the tire pressure from 13 to 10 lbs. If the track was better I feel I could get some 6000 launches in with little spin. As you can see in the vid it spun fairly bad. Not just on launch but with every shift.

Bear in mind this was with stock suspension. Lower control arms with relo brackets may net different results. I.E. able to leave at a higher RPM with less wheelspin.

D98GT

STREETCAR
Reaction score
I left at around 3500 rpms on the et streets and they dead hooked. I haven't tried anything higher as of yet as I only made 2 passes on the good tires and was satisfied with the results.

I am going to add this axle brace to my Christmas wish list. Easy install??

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
I left at around 3500 rpms on the et streets and they dead hooked. I haven't tried anything higher as of yet as I only made 2 passes on the good tires and was satisfied with the results.

I am going to add this axle brace to my Christmas wish list. Easy install??

Are you doing the girdle at the same time?

With girdle, 2.5 hours.
Without girdle, 1.5 hours.

Either way you will need to drill 4 holes to mount the brace. As long as you have a sharp bit it will be no cake.

Intervention

forum member
Reaction score
1112001308.jpg

I'll be in the same field... I'm installing a girdle and a Trutrac for now. Axle brace by spring/summer time

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
1112001308.jpg

I'll be in the same field... I'm installing a girdle and a Trutrac for now. Axle brace by spring/summer time

Nasty....girdle with brace would have prevented that. ;) Glad to hear you are heading down the right path. :)

Wnt2gofst

Banned
Reaction score
It was shakedown night with the stuff on the car. 4500 seemed to net the best results but that was before I lowered the tire pressure from 13 to 10 lbs. If the track was better I feel I could get some 6000 launches in with little spin. As you can see in the vid it spun fairly bad. Not just on launch but with every shift.

Bear in mind this was with stock suspension. Lower control arms with relo brackets may net different results. I.E. able to leave at a higher RPM with less wheelspin.

Thanks trying to make track Friday for test runs on 26x10x15 Hoosier full slicks on race stars. See what I can manage.

D98GT

STREETCAR
Reaction score
I will just be going with the axle brace for the time being. Price isn't bad and im sure the weight isn't noticeable.

Digital_Synapse

forum member
Reaction score
Nasty....girdle with brace would have prevented that. ;) Glad to hear you are heading down the right path. :)

How would it have prevented it? Where can I go to learn more about this? I know slicks and hrd launches like to snap things, which things I would like to larn about to reinforce. "1pc alum DS and rear end" seem to be what people say...but I want to learn how and why.

Would this work with the Fays2 Watts Linkage?

I'm trying to build a AutoX and Strip beast. :)

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back