Rear shock length trouble? Maybe

luv2cheat

forum member
Reaction score
So I took my rear wheels off today to mount new tires and right away I noticed the shocks seemed to be extended allot. Not sure why I never noticed this before. So I did some measuring and I only have an 1-1/8" of rebound at ride height. These are fairly new direct fit Qa1's. My first thought maybe they were boxed wrong, so I looked at the specs on Qa1's website and the are indeed correct. Now I have removed allot of weight, right at 2900lbs with me in it. I am running oe V6 springs in the rear. It may sit a touch high in the rear but it's to my liking. To me 1-1/8" rebound and 6"-3/8 compression is no where near correct. I am not sure what to do at this point. I have been fighting intermittent traction trouble I am thinking this may be the cause. Could anyone else check and see how much rebound travel you have?

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Can you put spacers (even some washers) under the upper attachment point to give you an extra inch or so? Obviously you're limited by the length of the threaded studs and being able to still have enough threads to attach the nuts.

luv2cheat

forum member
Reaction score
Can you put spacers (even some washers) under the upper attachment point to give you an extra inch or so? Obviously you're limited by the length of the threaded studs and being able to still have enough threads to attach the nuts.

Maybe a few. Doubt I would get more than 1/4-1/2". I plan to call Qa1 tomorrow. I can't be the only one having this trouble. Lots of guys are running the cobra jet springs and supposedly the v6 springs are the same.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I'm running Koni yellows and noticed that the rear shocks were shorter than the stock shocks as well.

05moneypit

forum member
Reaction score
I run QA1 DA's with QA1 14"x150lb springs in the stock location. At race ride height the shock has 2 5/8" rebound travel.....based on 7.5 of total travel.

luv2cheat

forum member
Reaction score
I made a couple phone calls today. The majority said I need to lower the ass end. There are so many different springs to choose from, I am not sure what ones to get. I am actually leaning towards getting new shocks that are the correct length. Afco can hook me up with a set. Then if I am still having trouble I will lower ride height.

Last edited:

05moneypit

forum member
Reaction score
Take the factory spacer out of the car. The QA1's fit right in. Stock S197 springs are about the same length as the QA1's

luv2cheat

forum member
Reaction score
I got the afco's on and my new 28" tires. I may lower it this winter, depending on how it works.
ga2yhymy.jpg
2y6eva2y.jpg

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
2900lbs with you in it? jessus what did you remove? lol

Back