Recommendations on Head Units?

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
So I finally got around to hooking up my subwoofer system.

I'm a bit disappointed with how my Alpine IVA-W505 is performing with it. It's an older head unit, plus there's no GPS or Bluetooth. The subwoofer output is really weak on it as well, which I just found out, and that's basically the breaking point for me.

I'm looking for a double din unit, preferably one that has GPS and Blutooth. I used to have an Eclipse unit in my truck that I LOVED, but not anymore.

What would you guys recommend?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
guess you missed the entire sub-forum dedicated to "Tunes"?

moved

Last edited:

RetiredSFC 97

Reaction score
What kind of amp do you have hooked up with it? The HU only supplies the signal for bass, the amp is what pumps it up, cleans it and distributes it.

While I would upgrade to something that has Bluetooth etc, I would bet money it's not the headunit unless there is a malfunction and it's not sending signal. Alpine, in my opinion is one of the best, if not the best HU's on the market now that eclipse has went out.

Last edited:

007GTCS

forum member
Reaction score
I have the pioneer avh-8400bh. I love it, don't have a complaint. Pioneer had a new avic line coming out or just released. So definitely look into it

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
guess you missed the entire sub-forum dedicated to "Tunes"?

moved

Yes I did hahahaha. My bad. Thanks for moving it!

What kind of amp do you have hooked up with it? The HU only supplies the signal for bass, the amp is what pumps it up, cleans it and distributes it.

While I would upgrade to something that has Bluetooth etc, I would bet money it's not the headunit unless there is a malfunction and it's not sending signal. Alpine, in my opinion is one of the best, if not the best HU's on the market now that eclipse has went out.

It's a brand new Rockford amp and sub. RMS on the amp is slightly higher than RMS on the sub.

I did a little research and apparently Alpine head units have really weak subwoofer out signals. You literally have to turn the subs to +15(max) on the receiver before you set your gain.

joe_momma

forum member
Reaction score
It's likely the output voltage on the pre-outs. If it is only +2V, you won't get near the output that you will from a +4V output. Most entry-level receivers from all makers are 2V...step up a couple of models in any line away from the entry and you'll get 4V pre-outs.

And, +1 for Pioneer. Stay away from Sony.

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
It's likely the output voltage on the pre-outs. If it is only +2V, you won't get near the output that you will from a +4V output. Most entry-level receivers from all makers are 2V...step up a couple of models in any line away from the entry and you'll get 4V pre-outs.

And, +1 for Pioneer. Stay away from Sony.

It's a 4V out. Five years ago when I bought it, it retailed for over a grand. Not exactly entry level...

From what I've read, to get that 4V out from Alpine head units, you have to max the subwoofer control on the receiver. It's just how they're made.

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
Hey 05 Roush racer, let me know if you might be interested in my head unit. If I had it sold it would make getting a new one a lot easier on the wallet.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back