Retirement = mods time for the Mustang

Drex

forum member
Reaction score
After 23.5 great years with the USAF, I'm hanging up the uniform. It's been a great ride with lots of accomplishments to show for it, not to mention the great destinations I never would have seen otherwise.

As a gift to myself, I am getting ready to drop several thousand dollars into my mustang. I am not one to make hasty decisions; it has taken me a while to decide what to do. I have decided to go with a Roush R2300 TVS Stage 2 and complete new exhaust. Kooks LTH and Roush all the way out the back. Hoping to net around 500 WHP, and don't see any reason why I shouldn't. I am being advised to keep the tune conservative so to use 91 octane, in order to keep the motor safe(r) from detonation and from coming apart. Anyone tried this combo on a 4.6? I would love to hear opinions and advice. This is a daily driver, and will be driven extensively on the Autonahn.

Look out German and Italian exotics, I just may may have something for you!

Mike K

WANNA BE FAST
Reaction score
First off thank you for your service.

On your mods that looks like a good list but I hope you are aware there will be other supporting mods you will need to get also. With that said 500 should be no problem but you will be playing with a time bomb at that level if your sticking with the stock internals.

Good luck on the build and enjoy it

Blacksmoke

forum member
Reaction score
Oh yeah.. you are looking at more than a several thousand dollars.
If you have already looked at superchargers I'm sure you are aware of that though.

Drex

forum member
Reaction score
I know I am on borrowed time with the stock rotating assembly, but will tackle that when the time comes. Ford will honor their warranty, right ;)

What are some of the supporting mods I need to consider?

Right up front, its going to cost me $8500 + shipping to Germany.. ouch.. but the fun I will have. The vendor I am buying from stated I will be fine as long as its tuned conservatively, and honestly.. I and unsure if that is true. I gotta take the guy's word. I am NOT a total gear head. I used to be, but am not savvy like I used to be. Never owned a boosted car.. outside of my wife's volvo, LOL.

My time in the USAF has been a blast. It's been my pleasure to serve. I recommend this career track to anyone.. educated or otherwise. It has its bumps, but anyone comes out a better person.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
Damn brother, I wish you had a 2011 GT! Anyway, CONGRATS on your retirement!! Thank you VERY much for investing 23.5 years of your life into serving this nation. I, too, had a wonderful 21 year career in the Army and I would also recommend the service as a career to anyone!

You will need a BAP at a minimum. Your stock clutch won't last very long at that power level, but since you aren't racing it, you might get a longer life out of it than others. I'm sure there are a few other things you will need, but if I were you, I'd make sure you go ahead and get one or two extra blower belts. It would really suck to break a belt on the Autobahn and have to wait two weeks to get another one sent to you.

There are other things you will need, but someone who knows more about it will be of greater help than I.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Thank you for your service. I am a former USAF Pararescue, well technically a CRO.

Last edited:

Axton_118

forum member
Reaction score
What i do (computer networking and Rivet Joint operations) is chair force...what seer did is some of the hardest shit ;). We had a seer fallout lead PT once in tech school...never even heard of those exercises but god damn was i sore the next day!!

Sorry for the thread jack!!! back to the topic...

just get a 5.0 instead and put a supercharger on that instead!

CHAIRFORCE????:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::thumb2:

Drex

forum member
Reaction score
I have already fell in love my 2010. I KNEW the 5.0 was coming when I bought it, and admittingly, I had a small amount of regret. The car still makes me smile though:)

Stupid question: What's a BAP?

I appreciate the responses so far; looking forward to more advice/suggestions.

PS: Para Rescue is no joke. It ranks up there with any of the other SF branches.

Axton: I used to work for Air Intelligence Agency and validated alot of initiatives for linguists for Rivet Joint. Are you stationed in Nebraska?

Drex

forum member
Reaction score
Looked at the sticky.. BAP=Boost A Pump. I think the Stage 2 kit has it covered with GT500 fuel system upgrades

Axton_118

forum member
Reaction score
Yessir, Omaha, Nebraska...I work in intel myself..small world. 97 IS to be exact...

I have already fell in love my 2010. I KNEW the 5.0 was coming when I bought it, and admittingly, I had a small amount of regret. The car still makes me smile though:)

PS: Para Rescue is no joke. It ranks up there with any of the other SF branches.

Axton: I used to work for Air Intelligence Agency and validated alot of initiatives for linguists for Rivet Joint. Are you stationed in Nebraska?

Seer

forum member
Reaction score

I would stick with the BAP as its the simplest of methods, and ty. Although I was technically a CRO since I was an O3

I ended up with the 5.0, but the 4.6's can still be made to be quite stout if you throw boost at them. You can always buy that 5.0 Aluminator too :D

Last edited:

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
I was in SOCOM for damned near a decade. Worked with a lot of Air Force Spec ops guys. During one training mission, this was back in the early 90's when Para-Rescuers were first learning how to do a combat carotid neck stick, I was the "injured one" and had no clue I was gonna get stuck in the fucking neck. By the time I got through with that PJ, he couldn't use his right arm for a week and I got into a bit of trouble for my reaction. Needles don't scare me one bit. But someone coming at me with an 8g needle heading towards my neck under a hovering helicopter can kiss my ass. But yeah, PJ's and the Forward Air Controllers are some tough dudes. Not on the same tough level as SF or SEALS, but their level of medical training will match that of any 18D.

Mach1Marauder

LARGE MEMBER
Reaction score
I was in SOCOM for damned near a decade. Worked with a lot of Air Force Spec ops guys. During one training mission, this was back in the early 90's when Para-Rescuers were first learning how to do a combat carotid neck stick, I was the "injured one" and had no clue I was gonna get stuck in the fucking neck. By the time I got through with that PJ, he couldn't use his right arm for a week and I got into a bit of trouble for my reaction. Needles don't scare me one bit. But someone coming at me with an 8g needle heading towards my neck under a hovering helicopter can kiss my ass. But yeah, PJ's and the Forward Air Controllers are some tough dudes. Not on the same tough level as SF or SEALS, but their level of medical training will match that of any 18D.
LMMFAO@FRANK!!!!!!:thumb2::thumb2:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back