road racer build

STEVE_POE

coyote powered fr500s
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
thanks,

put the terry springs on the trunk and put the glass in. Amazing how the glass makes it look more complete.

383246536.jpg

383246534.jpg

Last edited:

Surfstang2020

forum member
Reaction score
good work I love the grabber blue color, especially on the old school boss 429s( drooling as I type :) ) nice work man, I bet it's fun to take those things and beat up on a bunch of euro trash like beemers and porshes lol

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
I don't know for sure (I'm sure Steve will chime in), but I think the BIW cars ship with the FRPP bumpers front and rear, which have the tow-hook struts already on them.

I just put one on (I did? More like Philostang did...), and here's the structure we came up with:

Tow%20Hook%20Bumper%20Bracket%20005.jpg

1/8" plate welded to the bumper (all edges, plus six plug welds in the middle), and on that we built the strut out of 1/8" 1x2 tubing, with 1/8" tri-fold gussets, all perimiter welded. We also added a close-off panel to the front of the box tubing, and of course the little tube for the hook mount.

Cutting the hole in the fascia for it was terrifying, but actually pretty simple.

Philostang

Chrome Hater
Reaction score
I don't know for sure (I'm sure Steve will chime in), but I think the BIW cars ship with the FRPP bumpers front and rear, which have the tow-hook struts already on them.

I just put one on (I did? More like Philostang did...), and here's the structure we came up with:

Cutting the hole in the fascia for it was terrifying, but actually pretty simple.

That's funny, I wasn't terrified at all... :laughlots:

And it was a definite "we" that put it on. I seem to recall...
"Dave, cut this..."
"Dave, grind this..."
"Dave, drill this..."

I got the fun jobs, like standing one-legged on the mount to test it!

STEVE_POE

coyote powered fr500s
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Good lord Dave, you planning on transporting that car by Helicopter ? :naughty1:

actually , this is what I use. Not very easy to come by.

383542764.jpg

STEVE_POE

coyote powered fr500s
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
got a few more things done this weekend. steering wheel with release is in,Seat is in, Battery box is in and wired up to the kill switch. working on lower screen and grills for around 4" brake ducts.

enjoy, it's getting close.

383543142.jpg

383543124.jpg

383543135.jpg

383543160.jpg

Philostang

Chrome Hater
Reaction score
Hey Steve,

First, thanks for sharing all the pics and updates on your projects...keeps me drooling. :drool:

I was hoping you could share your thoughts on the chassis. In particular, I noticed that in your builds when you put in the roll bar's main hoop you bring it down straight onto the rear seat bulkhead without the big factory gusset. The MM bar kit remakes a gusset rather than deal with trying to tie the bar into the OEM piece, so I kind of thought it was important (it was part of the reason I went with their bar). Are you concerned about this area, or do you think its kind of overkill to begin with?

Best,
-j

STEVE_POE

coyote powered fr500s
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I was hoping you could share your thoughts on the chassis. In particular, I noticed that in your builds when you put in the roll bar's main hoop you bring it down straight onto the rear seat bulkhead without the big factory gusset. The MM bar kit remakes a gusset rather than deal with trying to tie the bar into the OEM piece, so I kind of thought it was important (it was part of the reason I went with their bar). Are you

if you notice on mine that part your talking about is unbolted and thrown away. a plate is then welded in and then The cage is welded right onto the chassis.

The mm bar is a nice item as a bolt in and half the work was already done for them by how they made the cage bolt in on that same place. It's a nice cage for the money in my opinion.

I seen a Kenny Brown cage years ago that was exactly like the mm bar. This was before mm came out with the cage for s197 cars . hmmmm wonder where that design came from. lol

DusterRT

Defected to Deutsche
Reaction score
I seen a Kenny Brown cage years ago that was exactly like the mm bar. This was before mm came out with the cage for s197 cars . hmmmm wonder where that design came from. lol

I believe "Concurrent Engineering" is what they might call that sort of phenomenon. :)

But I do like my MM roll bar..will certainly do the job until I feel a real cage is necessary.

Stangmeister9

The Member
Reaction score
On that battery re-locate, did you run a Ground (-) back to the front or does it go under the car from that point? i am about to do that install my self and have read where some recomend sending a second ground back to the engine block and one to the chasis under the re-loc box.

by the way that is one impressive build. more importantly then the car you must have a very understanding family. (envy)

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
Steve, do you race with NASA at VIR? I would like to see your car in person and talk to you about the build project, etc. Really enjoy watching it coming along - nice work! Mike

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back