running stock tune with 91 octane fuel help

ti1andrezz

Reaction score
I can usually get about 315-320 miles to a tank in my 2011 5.0 with 3.73s and an aftermarket tune running stock sized 27.25" tires. I use 93 octane daily. I live in Pittsburgh and right now with all of the movies being filmed here and bullshit construction, I get a lot of stop and go stuff, even on the highways.

oh ok mine is the 4.6 liter not sure if there is a big difference in the mileage. and mine is running on the stock tune setting, i drive on the highway mostly to get to where i need to get. i have not changed any of my driving habits and i am just at loss.

maybe try changing gas stations, change your oil, air filter etc.

i am almost due for my oil change ill do that later tomorrow after work ill run to the auto part store and get my oil and filter. i was thinking of that being something to do with it but i just wasn't sure but ill give it a try.

Last edited by a moderator:

MesaRec

Reaction score
Disconnect the battery for at least 20 minutes, so the PCM resets. It will then relearn the fuel trims.

Do you have the "no tune" street kit?

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
i am almost due for my oil change ill do that later tomorrow after work ill run to the auto part store and get my oil and filter. i was thinking of that being something to do with it but i just wasn't sure but ill give it a try.

fuel injector cleaner, is the car idling ok? Possibly plugs? How many miles on the car?

ti1andrezz

Reaction score
idling sounds normal, and spark plugs i dont think i need those yet i just reached 33,000 miles on the car

Disconnect the battery for at least 20 minutes, so the PCM resets. It will then relearn the fuel trims.

Do you have the "no tune" street kit?

i actually have it sitting in the garage with the battery disconnected for the last ten min or so. and no, no tune at all its still on the stock ECU tune.

Last edited by a moderator:

MesaRec

Reaction score
I confused the statements. Must have been the Pulp Fiction reference. :beerdrink:
FWIW, the Racer is a nice kit with a supporting tune. I went with the street though, and love it.

Mike K

WANNA BE FAST
Reaction score
Racer here and I love it!

The octane will have no effect on the mpg's but a little more pressure on the skinny pedal once in a while would have an effect.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Do the usual stuff first. Change plugs or at least take them out and take a look, clean the maf, air filter.

FWIW with gasoline I get 25-26 highway, 18-19 combined. E85 is good for 19-20 highway and 14-15 combined. I'm running 4.56 gears, 28.5" tires, and a TR6060 6 speed.

EDIT: One more thing. The combination of living in Denver and using 91 octane on the stock tune could be contributing to fouling your plugs early. I'd run 87 with the stock tune, but thats me.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back