S&H Performance turbo build,

Fantas

forum member
Reaction score
i agree boost leek. how many heat cycles and how many miles do you have on the turbo. also remind me again the specs of the turbo

76mm
.96 A/R

9 pulls on monday, 40 miles on tuesday. Been parked since due to rain. I just went and took off the air filter and spun the turbo, it felt stiff. However, I started it and let it idle and it barely spun for quite a while. once it was up to temp it was spinning a little better.

Even still, I can't imagine that my 5.1L can't spool a single 76mm by 3,000 rpm. Unless I have a pretty decent coldside leak, but I looked it all over and don't see anything out of the ordinary.

Anyone have any thoughts or something to do to check part of the system.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You have a problem with that turbo. It should spin freely even when the engine isn't running and the instant you start the car it should be turning up to speed. Sounds like a bearing failure.

Earl

Fantas

forum member
Reaction score
Want me to take a short video of it at idle so you can see it?

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
You have a problem with that turbo. It should spin freely even when the engine isn't running and the instant you start the car it should be turning up to speed. Sounds like a bearing failure.

Earl

I second this. My precision billet with journal bearings spins effortlessly with the the engine at an idle.

Fantas

forum member
Reaction score
I may have said it wrong. It spins and doesn't feel like the bearing is bad and there is absolutely no play in it. It feels as if the grease cold. Almost as if it is filled with military grade GAA or something rather than what it supposed to be in there. I am going to go take a video or two and post them. Brb

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
When mine was new out of the box it would hardly spin at all. First couple street pulls I was like WTF......it was horrible. I have 400-500 miles on it now and it spools great. Mine felt exactly like what your talking about, like it was spinning in some thick grease.

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
But 10 lbs at 4500rpm? Not doubting you, just picking your brain a little.

Fantas

forum member
Reaction score
But 10 lbs at 4500rpm? Not doubting you, just picking your brain a little.

The car runs well, don't get me wrong. But the turbo should/needs to spool faster. It has the boost curve of a centri, I will say that the turbo spun easier after a few pulls on the dyno than it did just now. I am just scratching my head because I either have a big boost leak or this thing needs to be romped on to break it in.

I am uploading those two movies, I'll post them in a minute

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
I was pointing that comment at willy, even though, I think that would have to be a huge leak.

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
my new oiless dont spin great now i will see how it does after i put them on and put them through a few heat cycles. talk to jeremy he just got his on. he may have more imput.

Didn't Jeremy post his results with a stock displacement engine and a 76 and it was much faster spool than this?

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
Trust me...after my first drive I was a little upset to say the least! It was a huge step back from my previous precision turbo. My very next drive it was a lot better.....with in 50 miles it was back to what I was used to....now......it's great! Spools like crazy in the higher gears which my old turbo would not.

Fantas

forum member
Reaction score
Didn't Jeremy post his results with a stock displacement engine and a 76 and it was much faster spool than this?

Thought he went with a 67mm oiless. I can't remember though.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back