S197 tts/aix build start to finsh

marksti

forum member
Reaction score
A few years back I bought my 2006 with motorsports in mind.

NOW mind you i don't write novels well, i'm not a 18 year old single kid that has time/desire to photograph their car endlessly and spend countless time on the net chatting about there ride.

But i do hope..that sharing this build will help a few people and maybe help me build a better car.

I've swaped out a few suspensions..tried a few different engine tuners..ran a few track with the car.

Thanks

First pic of the car....STOCK
97b67248.jpg

partsmustang006.jpg

Newmustangpics009.jpg

Its been a long trip so far

Last edited:

alloy6ix

Wiener Dog Racer
Reaction score
A few years back I bought my 2006 with motorsports in mind.

I've swaped out a few suspensions..tried a few different engine tuners..run a few track with the car.

With this thread i hope to share the cars basic story, maybe helping a few people by saving them precious time, money, stress.

Also I value any good input on further mods and future plans

Thanks

First pic of the car....STOCK
97b67248.jpg

partsmustang006.jpg

Newmustangpics009.jpg

Its been a long trip so far

Wow... Griggs = massive erection... lol.

Is that the TT, ST, or RT? or just a collection of griggs suspension/body parts?

Oh, and small request for more pics of your car... I need a new background and that car looks fucking sick man!! :beer:

Last edited:

marksti

forum member
Reaction score
Car details:

BASE 06 Mustang gt
No side air bag
No mach sound system
No leather
Only options on car are wheel locks

Step one:Basic power mods

First things first, like many Mustang owners i added a tuner/pulleys/intake
Also i added a set of Steeda springs/struy brace

I ran the car to a 13.1@108 at the local

First track event run a Thunderhill in 2006.. found out that

1 Stock brakes fade uber fast
2 Stock tires
3 Steeda ultrlite springs bad on track (more of a drag spring)

Last edited:

mykim72

forum member
Reaction score
sweet ride...id love to hear your comments on g trac brace...im still deciding...thanks

Last edited:

marksti

forum member
Reaction score
Wow... Griggs = massive erection... lol.

Is that the TT, ST, or RT? or just a collection of griggs suspension/body parts?

Oh, and small request for more pics of your car... I need a new background and that car looks fucking sick man!! :beer:

The cars currently a Griggs installed ST chasis car with a Griggs tuned engine that makes 450-485 RWHP.

..Also equipped with many other parts some of which you see..some not :)

I'll continue my story when i have some more time..as the cars has a few different phases/suspensions

As far as the background...its by my house and easy to take pics...I know its not the best place

Regards

Last edited:

alloy6ix

Wiener Dog Racer
Reaction score
The cars currently a Griggs installed ST chasis car with a Griggs tuned engine that makes 450-485 RWHP.

..Also equipped with may other parts some of which you see..some not :)

I'm continue my story when i have some more time..as the cars has a few different phases/suspensions

I try to get better pics soon

As far as the background...its by my house and easy to take pics...I know its not the best place

regards

What rims are those. Full specs please (size, offset) :),

Your car looks great!

Well maybe just a few different angles lol, I don't wanna make you go find some ridiculous back drop just for me. haha. I don't care too much about the background, the house is cool man. But wow, that's an amazing set up there. :thumb:

and dan, I'm not sure the brand, but DusterRT had the same wheels and they're 18lbs each and 18X9 IIRC. not sure on offset or backspacing though.

marksti

forum member
Reaction score
Those wheels look like wedsports to me
Correct...Nice wheels, but thay are kind of small in width

Enkei and TMR also have some lightweight wheels...However if
you want to truely use monster tires and have invested in a SLA front end then most people get custom wheels that start at $750 each like Forgeline/CCW etc.

Last edited:

marksti

forum member
Reaction score
Suspension #1

BMR rear panhard bar
Steeda rear bar support
Steeda fixed upper third link
Steeda comp springs

Remove brake dust shields
Hawk pads
ATE blue fiuld

Hurst short shifter

Results:Same track 5 months later

Car felt alot better, alot more planted on brakeing/cornering...Brakes still weak, but avoided fade by being easier on them..

Lessons learned in this set of mods:Use the right springs for application, the brakes from the factory are really prone to heat problems more then anything else.

Last edited:

alloy6ix

Wiener Dog Racer
Reaction score
Correct...Nice wheels, but thay are kinds small in width

Enkei and TMR also have some lightweight wheels...However
you want to truely use monster tires and have invested in a SLA front end then most people get custom wheels that start at $750 each like Forgeline/CCW etc.

Thinkkker uses some pretty nice enkei wheels. I'd look for the thread but I'm in the middle of an essay. lol. Look up his profile and find his posts. I asked him about them a while back as far as cost and size. he doesn't have many posts so it wouldn't be that hard to find.

marksti

forum member
Reaction score
Suspension #2

So i figured out its time to move on and start throwing more into the suspension on the car..(Actually more seat time is what was needed more then anything)

Ford racing suspension kit installed:

Sway bar kit with link
Spring kit
Shock/strut kit
Steeda rear lower control arms

When lowered with the new springs i found my rear traction from a dig was gone so i also installed
BMR rear lower arm relocation brackets to rear mounting points on the rear end.

BMR front lower control arms

At this point i started droppin weight off the car also

Lightweight battery
Removal wiper bottle
Removal spare tire/jack

Tires upgraded to Hankook RS2 in 245/45/17 on factory rims

The factory rotors were dumped in favor of DBA front + rear units and stainless lines..a agent 47 brake cooler spindle mounts were install and 3 inch tubes were run to cool the brakes

Aero:(more for looks at this point)

Steeda front lip
Steeda rear spoiler

Lessions learned:The Ford racing kit is GREAT for the $$$...Lowering the car causes its owm set of problems like having to relocate the LCA mounting/rear end/later on pinon angle..
Factory brakes aren't all to bad..when cooled proper and driven easy enough.

Even at this point in the build, the real beauty of the setup is in the fine tuning details like alignment/tire pressures/suspension angles etc

Last edited:

marksti

forum member
Reaction score
Suspension setup/tuning #3: Fine tuning the Ford racing setup/other parts of the car

At this point we were tuning things in:

Steeda camber plates and 2 degrees - camber
Steeda adjustable upper rear control arm (to correct the pinon angle problem that manifested itself once the driveline was installed)
Coast driveshaft
Gt500 top hats
Steeda bumpsteer kit
Steeda g brace

Time for wheels and tires

Wedsports and BFG KD 275 40 18

More weight loss:

Razors edge bumper beams front+back
Spec stage 2+ clutch and lighter flywheel
Remove trunk trim
Steeda front radiator support
Agent 47 mirrors (just a few ozs, but they look better IMHO)
Hood VIS heat extractor (only ozs, but less heat underhood)
SLP loudmouth exhuast
Intake deletplates

Car dynoed also at 318 RWHP and ran 12.8@110 in the 1/4mile at this point..Car was run 5 more days at HPDE 2-3 levels.

Email tune from brenspeed still good

Lessions learned:Fine tuning in is good..more seat time better, front end still steers soft..car still has plenty of power for chasis setup...Street tires have to go...The lighter the car the more nimble, better everything works

Heres a on track pick at that time:

Picture002.jpg

I'LL STOP MY RAMBLING FOR NOW

Last edited:

SD07GT

forum member
Reaction score
Where did you get your hood @ front grill at !

Thanks !

marksti

forum member
Reaction score
Where did you get your hood @ front grill at !

Thanks !

The hoods a VIS heat extractor got it at cruizen concepts (beware that i had to install hood pins right quick..and also the rear lifts at high speeds..If i had to do it again i would do a viper style hood with vents in the rear to drop underhood pressures at high speeds,)

The grills the new one from Shelby

Kaldar142

Reaction score
hey marksti, i just looked up those bumper beams... very nice!

arn't the OEM bumper beams welded in though? let me know because i've been looking for more ways to drop some weight off the car and this seems like a great cost effective way

marksti

forum member
Reaction score
hey marksti, i just looked up those bumper beams... very nice!

arn't the OEM bumper beams welded in though? let me know because i've been looking for more ways to drop some weight off the car and this seems like a great cost effective way
The front beams welded in by a few spot welds which can be drilled out in a few minutes.

The rears beam isn't IIRC..

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back