S550 Mustang Suspension and Powertrain Discussion

NoTicket

forum member
Reaction score
There is a variance of weight in existing Mustangs... So if they had one single car it could be 200lbs heavier than some and near 300 for others.

I understand the skepticism... If Steeda is basing this on a weighed car I'm not sure why they would lie. But I don't see an actual quote or source in that article.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
There is a variance of weight in existing Mustangs... So if they had one single car it could be 200lbs heavier than some and near 300 for others.
I getcha.

I understand the skepticism... If Steeda is basing this on a weighed car I'm not sure why they would lie. But I don't see an actual quote or source in that article.
I wouldn't call it a lie. Just your standard run of the mill fuzzy math misinformation.

And I have about zero faith in Steeda. They used the be a great company staffed by people who knew what they are doing. Now, not so much. There are a few people down there who know what's going on. The majority of them I wouldn't trust to check my tire pressure though.

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score
Sounds like bull to me. If Steeda weighed it why would it be 200-300# and not XXX#. Do their scales just guess? Secondly Steeda gets a huge favor getting cars early. Running thier mouths about the cars weight won't be getting them any favors in the future.

And Steeda has a bunch of hacks working for them.:chainsaw:

This. I've lost a lot of faith in Steeda over the past 3 years. I'll be down right shocked if the Mustang gained that much weight. Any weight gain to me is unacceptable but that much is substantially heavier than anyone would really guess.

Heck, I'm reasonably pissed at the fact that my $29k pony car is going to be as wide as (or wider) a fucking Corvette in the rear... Smaller, lighter, narrower please Ford! And enough with the retarded staggering of the front and rear track widths.

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
Heck, I'm reasonably pissed at the fact that my $29k pony car is going to be as wide as (or wider) a fucking Corvette in the rear... Smaller, lighter, narrower please Ford! And enough with the retarded staggering of the front and rear track widths.

I agree smaller and lighter would be nice, but narrower? I'd prefer wider if anything. Better cornering lol.

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score
I agree smaller and lighter would be nice, but narrower? I'd prefer wider if anything. Better cornering lol.

Maybe narrower isn't the appropriate choice of words, but in general, the S197 chassis is "plenty wide". For us cone dodgers, the S197 is pretty dang wide. It is also pretty dang heavy. I understand the benefits for you track guys on a wider car though and I suspect that you don't mind the added width nearly as much as I do...

The staggered front and rear tracks is confusing as hell though... I get it visually but from a performance standpoint you give up a lot to get it. Sure, more grip while cornering (in theory) but more grip out back = understeer = something I have to dial out.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
The staggered front and rear tracks is confusing as hell though... I get it visually but from a performance standpoint you give up a lot to get it. Sure, more grip while cornering (in theory) but more grip out back = understeer = something I have to dial out.

Yeah, nobody has figured out to go around corners with a staggered track width.:thumb:

rsr4-600x319.jpg

sheizasosay

Alive
Reaction score
All Ford needs to do is make the new car a better performer than the car it replaced. All in all, if it clocks a better 0-60, better 1/4 and beats it's previous Laguna Seca lap when it was up against the M3 then it's doing good. Ford also plays hard ball when it comes to Motorsports. Look, Ford builds and sells dedicated race cars with the rule book in mind. You know why you aren't gonna see the z28 in any meaningful well-known races? Because Chevy is to chickenshit to put its legendary Z28 up against the Boss. So they knowingly built it where it can't compete in big races. Ford doesn't fuck around. I'm sure they will deliver a mustang that will outperform its predecessor.

If they don't, then I'll just go buy a BRZ and put a turbo on it.

NoTicket

forum member
Reaction score
That's also a rear-engined car with an inherently oversteer-prone chassis.

Sent from my toilet using Tapatalk

Okay... Then how about the Corvette? The C7 has a 1.2" wider rear than front. The F80 M3/4 with a 1" wider rear.
Plenty of the best handling cars have wider rears than fronts... There are so many other factors involved in handling balance, having a rear that is 0.8" wider on each side is not going to remotely tell the whole story.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My point was simply that the Porsche 911 is a radically different car that probably shouldn't be compared to a Mustang.

zquez

Death Dealer
Reaction score
All Ford needs to do is make the new car a better performer than the car it replaced. All in all, if it clocks a better 0-60, better 1/4 and beats it's previous Laguna Seca lap when it was up against the M3 then it's doing good. Ford also plays hard ball when it comes to Motorsports. Look, Ford builds and sells dedicated race cars with the rule book in mind. You know why you aren't gonna see the z28 in any meaningful well-known races? Because Chevy is to chickenshit to put its legendary Z28 up against the Boss. So they knowingly built it where it can't compete in big races. Ford doesn't fuck around. I'm sure they will deliver a mustang that will outperform its predecessor.

If they don't, then I'll just go buy a BRZ and put a turbo on it.

Idk man. I consider the Continental Tire Challenge series to be a meaningful and well known series and the Z28s were kicking the Boss's ass.

NoTicket

forum member
Reaction score
Yes the Camaro is top of class in Pirelli World Challenge as well.

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
Maybe narrower isn't the appropriate choice of words, but in general, the S197 chassis is "plenty wide". For us cone dodgers, the S197 is pretty dang wide. It is also pretty dang heavy. I understand the benefits for you track guys on a wider car though and I suspect that you don't mind the added width nearly as much as I do...

And then you have to dial out oversteer in the Boss when you go from staggered to square.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back