S550 Mustang Suspension and Powertrain Discussion

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
Idk man. I consider the Continental Tire Challenge series to be a meaningful and well known series and the Z28s were kicking the Boss's ass.

Last time I got up close and personal with one of the Stevenson Camaros, it was a silhouette car: pure tube-frame chassis with sheetmetal hung on it. About as similar to a Camaro SS or Z/28 that you could buy from GM as a NASCRAP COT is to a factory-built Ford Fusion or Toyota Camry. Never seen one of those with an 850HP V-8, 4-speed Jerico and RWD drivetrain...

Also, from what I hear, one of the Stevenson cars costs roughly 2.5-3X a Boss302/R. Are they fast? Yes. Are they category killers? No.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Idk man. I consider the Continental Tire Challenge series to be a meaningful and well known series and the Z28s were kicking the Boss's ass.

That Z28 is a bad mofo. It better be for $75K, carbon brakes and 427cu in. We'll see how it stacks up against the GT350.

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
Last time I got up close and personal with one of the Stevenson Camaros, it was a silhouette car: pure tube-frame chassis with sheetmetal hung on it. About as similar to a Camaro SS or Z/28 that you could buy from GM as a NASCRAP COT is to a factory-built Ford Fusion or Toyota Camry. Never seen one of those with an 850HP V-8, 4-speed Jerico and RWD drivetrain...

Also, from what I hear, one of the Stevenson cars costs roughly 2.5-3X a Boss302/R. Are they fast? Yes. Are they category killers? No.

Also, if I am remembering correctly the Boss 302 R's are also coming in with very similar and close times to the Z/28's and finishing ahead of them in some cases/

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score

The New silver cars are based on the Camaro unibody like the Boss 302S is and are called "Z/28" by the Chevy team.

Mountain

forum member
Reaction score
Those Z/28 R's in the Conti. series, from what I've heard in speaking with teams and engineers run pretty hot coolant temps on track. The refreshed front end supposedly made cooling worse compared to the '10-'13 with larger front upper grille. Hence the "flow-tie" as it actually does help out that little bit more... The PWC Camaros seemed to be keeping the '10-'13 front end and don't claim to having cooling issues.

ArizonaGT

Road Course Member
Reaction score
Last time I got up close and personal with one of the Stevenson Camaros, it was a silhouette car: pure tube-frame chassis with sheetmetal hung on it.

I think you're thinking of their Rolex GT car, not the Conti cars. The GT cars are all Riley chassis w/ Camaro panels, they made the Rolex RX8s and BMWs from the same chassis.

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
I think you're thinking of their Rolex GT car, not the Conti cars. The GT cars are all Riley chassis w/ Camaro panels, they made the Rolex RX8s and BMWs from the same chassis.

Yup. You're right. It was a while ago, and I got my series' mixed up.

Whiskey11

Reaction score

I do remember when the Camaro came to CTSCC that they were tube frame cars though so I do think the original Camaros were that way. I know for a fact that the Z/28R is a production unibody though.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ker plow!

gt3.jpg

aston-martin-vanta_1428703c.jpg

viper-gts-r-alms-2.jpg

corvette-c6r-gt2-racecar-016_100226168_m.jpg

Much better examples. :thumb:

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
We tested our 5th gen Camaro Vorshlag camber plate on a World Challenge GTS prepped 5th gen Camaro, and it was one heavy beast of a car. They used a variation of the LS3 engine and didn't really threaten the Boss 302s much. They were limited to about 400 whp, and still are, and have about a 3500 pound race weight. That is what is still being run in World Challenge GTS class, and every once in a while they will win a race.

i-7xS3T3q-M.jpg

The new Z.28/R models that are being raced early this season in in IMSA GS (formerly the Continental Grand Am series) are a very costly and very gutted race cars (think $200K+) built using a larger GM 7.0L LS7 - and they got a lot of leeway in the first few races, running much more power than the comparable 5.0L Mustang Boss 302s.

10442354_10152526314504809_7275618874961368119_n.jpg

The Boss302-S and -R are both run engines much closer to stock spec's (the race teams have often substituted a Coyote or Boss302 street car's engine in for a race, in a pinch), and Dean Martin just won the GTS class at Detroit this past weekend... in a Mustang (above).

i-jHcn7vV-M.jpg

As for the S550 gaining 200-300 pounds, sadly this isn't much of a surprise, but I will hold off on the doomsday speak until we get our hands on a real production 2015 Mustang to weigh it. We just bought a brand new set of wireless scales and used them for the first time today. The MOMENT any new 2015 Mustangs arrives in Dallas (hopefully my car will be one of the first) we will weigh ALL OF THEM. 4 bangers, V6 cars, V8s, and in as many packages as we can find.

20140503_100637-M.jpg

Maybe mid July, or early August? When I SEE IT MYSELF and weigh one WITH MY SCALES, that's when I will believe the weights, and not a moment sooner.

NoTicket

forum member
Reaction score
BTW,

The skepticism was very well deserved. Steeda has clarified that there statement was based on prior experience with IRS Mustangs.

What a colossal bag of douches.

Whiskey11

Reaction score
BTW,

The skepticism was very well deserved. Steeda has clarified that there statement was based on prior experience with IRS Mustangs.

What a colossal bag of douches.

It's Steeda... seriously... they've lost their way.

sheizasosay

Alive
Reaction score
Yes the Camaro is top of class in Pirelli World Challenge as well.

I'm showing Dean Martin and Jack Roush Jr pushing the Boss above Camaros in GTS Pirelli WC 2014. What class are you talking about in PWC?

NoTicket

forum member
Reaction score
I'm showing Dean Martin and Jack Roush Jr pushing the Boss above Camaros in GTS Pirelli WC 2014. What class are you talking about in PWC?

I haven't been following this year, but that is good to hear. Aschenbach won in a Camaro last year and as far as I can remember the closest mustang was like 3-400pts back. There was another Camaro in the top 5 as well from my memory. It was not really common to see mustangs at the front of GTS.

Sharad

Site Sponsor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
In all honesty, I'm still hoping that the weight rumors we're hearing are untrue. (I tend to be optimistic to a fault) But this latest news, combined with my HPDE trip to Sebring last week, have me rethinking my 2015 strategy. Previously, I was thinking boost boost BOOST! Now I'm thinking weight reduction, MAX tire width, and brake mods.

I did a ride along in Chicane23's GR40TT GT500 a couple years ago, and that car felt surprising nimble, given the curb weight of far more than 4000 with me in the passenger seat. I think an S550 at 3900 with me could still feel nimble with enough tire & brake.

Back