S550 Mustang Suspension and Powertrain Discussion

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
does it come up to meet the grille or is it like the S197's where the opening is on the side of the radiator?

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Good question. IIRC, it met it....but gmitch could probably verify. My stuff is all torn apart.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
does it come up to meet the grille or is it like the S197's where the opening is on the side of the radiator?

I didn't pull it all apart. But from looking at it I was under the impression that it met it. It doesn't share the same air that goes to the radiator. They are separated from each other. I do know that.

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
In case anyone is not aware of the induction piece on the S197, here is where it is at next to the radiator on the drivers side:

ZcfZct.jpg

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Vorshlag Weighs 2015 Mustang Performance Package GT 5.0 6-spd!

At long last an S550 Performance Pack 6-speed GT finally arrived in Dallas. Not the one(s) we ordered, but a stocking order GT with similar performance equipment. This has power leather seats (not the leather Recarcos we ordered) with Sat Nav, 12 speaker stereo, the bigger 15" 6-piston brakes, the 19x9/19x9.5" wheels, the works.

You have all seen the "magazine" weights thrown around, and like usual, the numbers are bunk. I swear these writers don't know how to work a set of scales. ;) We see this every time a new model comes out - either they weigh a car with a full tank of fuel, or two people inside, or lead weights in the trunk, or just parrot the marketing materials they were given. Can they just plain dyno and weigh a car for us gearheads, PLEASE??

Anyway, Corey White, top salesman at Five Star Ford of Plano and Mustang aficionado, gave me a heads up that their very first 2015 Mustang had arrived earlier today. I told him him to NOT let the make ready guys fill the tank with fuel, and asked what package it was. Turns out it was very similar to what we have on order (still on the fence about buying one - more on that in a second). It is the FIRST GT 5.0 Performance Package car he knows of in Dallas, as there was a production delay on these cars due to some changes to the placement of the catalysts.

This 2013 GT is caged and has all the W2W safety gear. With one seat it is almost 3300 even

After finishing up with a customer's delivery of his race-prepped 2013 GT (built for NASA ST3, see above on the scales) we loaded up our brand new wireless Intercomp digital scales and rushed over to Five Star Ford to get that puppy weighed. Why? Because I'm a skeptic about almost ALL data on cars, and only believe what I can see on my scales. So what's the magic number???

Turns out this thing is about 100 pounds lighter than all of the numbers the magazines are throwing around. 3718 pounds with low fuel - which we want, as low fuel levels are easier to compare between cars and often can be raced at for Solo or Time Trial (depending on fuel tank/pick-up). This weight is with the "Trunk Junk" (TM) removed, which includes the floormats, trunk mat, and the emergency tire inflation kit.

That stuff came in at 13 pounds, and there's likely another 15-20 pounds in the trunk mounted sub-woofer. It is removable but they asked me NOT to take it out, since this car is their very first 2015 and going right on the showroom today. After we weighed the car Corey told me to hop in and we drove to their fuel pumps to put a splash of 93 in the tank. Then he hopped out and said, "You're driving!" How could I say no??

We went on about a 15 minute test drive, re-striping the streets of Plano in Pirelli rubber. ;) The car drives REALLY well, rides very similarly to a CTS-V... good compression damping, firm but supple ride on the choppy concrete of Plano, and hauls ass when you give it the Go pedal. Motor feels strong for a zero mile car with similar acceleration to the 2011-14 GT or Boss 302. The PP cars all have the 3.73 gears and Torsen axle. The sticker price is shown below - which I'm sure Corey would sell this car for today. You can call him at 972-985-3600. And yes, he sells Mustangs and Raptors all over the 50 states. Tell him Vorshlag sent ya!

As always you can click any picture for a larger rez version

The ergonomics are spot on. I've sat in a couple of these but driving it was amazing. 6'7" Corey fits in here well, and my 6'3" frame was swallowed up with ease as well. The shifter feels GREAT and the lever is right where my arm wanted it. The steering wheel has a big FAT rim and gauges that were easy to read. The seats were good, but the Recaros are better - its worth the extra coin.

Loved the switch gear, the materials and leathers used were top notch, and the pedal spacing was perfect for heel-toe downshifts. Just a quick street drive, but I am hoping to get a few laps on this car Saturday at the Five star Ford ECR Track Day!

Left: 2014 Camaro Z/28 with A/C and 3/4 tank, sans trunk junk = 3835 lbs. Right: 2011 GT Brembo Premium 6-spd, sans trunk junk = 3563 lbs

Closing thoughts... this car will be a hot seller. We happened to weigh a 2014 Camaro Z/28 today (equipped with A/C, see above) and it was 3835 pounds with 3/4 tank of fuel. So the S550 is considerably lighter, which is good news. I was pretty upset after hearing the (bogus) 3850+ pound numbers being thrown all over the internet and had essentially given up on these cars before they ever arrived. That was probably a bit rash, and now I am back on the Pro-S550 bandwagon. Look for new products for this chassis coming from Vorshlag very soon - and don't worry, we're going to keep supporting the S197 Mustang even after our 2011 GT is sold (look for a post about this right after SEMA and the OUSCI competition). The dyno numbers for the S550 look very promising, and the Magnaflow exhaust gains were pretty huge (30 whp). The wheel/tire packages on these cars are SUPER heavy - we have a Forgestar CF5 18x10 that fits this car already in stock - so there's a lot of extra weight in the exhaust and wheels and power to be gained with simple bolts-ons already.

More soon!

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Remind me not to buy any cars after you test drive them!:roflmao:

We have the manual/cloth Recaros. I LOVE them, I forgot to mention that. They are tight though. I'm not a "big" guy at 6' 180lb, but I do lift so I'm on the bigger side through the back. My lats are pretty tight in the Recaros. A good tight, but maybe not normal guy good tight. Your average American may find them confining....or may not be able to get all the way in! I'm not real big through the hips/waist either (30" waist). No way I can carry my concealed pistol in the Recaros. Not the end of the world, but not ideal for a daily.

Shifter is in the right spot. But as standard is too short and shifts like crap. maybe a bit better than a S197, but still crap.

You're correct about the gauges, I forgot about those too. I prefer to have the tach on the right though. Personal preference thing I suppose.

Love the car. I can't wait for the GT350!

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
;)

Now you know why I was defending the S550 in previous posts (weights). Just saying.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
I think we can all agree that the 11+ cars have a cold air inlet to the airbox. The S197's just have an opening in the front of the car in which to draw air from (not ram air). I believe the point he was trying to make is that the 15 model as a section of the front grille dedicated to feeding the airbox.

edit: Just went out and looked with a flashlight... I guess you could consider it ram air as the outlet is behind the grille. It is in line with the radiator so air could/should be pushed in the opening.

The 10-12 cars share the same body style..and also the tube that feeds air to the airbox. Problem is, the air tube..aka 'snorkel' is buried behind the grille on the driver's side. The air has to do 2 x 90 bends to get to the snorkel.

I tossed the oem upper grille and replaced with the 7 bar grille. (that deletes the oem upper foglamps). I installed 8K hids, that are brighter than the oem headlights + oem foglamps combined. With the 7 bar upper grille installed on the 10-12 cars, you end up with one helluva lot more air through the upper grille, and upper portions of the various rads behind it. You also end up with real ram air into the 'snorkel' that feeds the airbox.
My self and others have noticed that the boost has increased by almost .5 psi, when >50 mph.

I also replaced the oem top rad cover on my 2010....with an air diversion type from mishimoto. It has an offset to it..and front portion sits lower than oem. Slightly more air is forced through the HE and rads behind it.
The oem airbox on the 2010 is tapered at the bottom, with a drain hole in it. Condensation runs out the bottom. I have had zero problems in the rain. FWIW, the 2010 airbox flows 800 cfm (976 with a K+N panel filter). The 11-12 cars flow 745 cfm (909 cfm with a K+N). The 11+ roush cars use the oem airbox with their 575 crank hp kits. Their 625/675 hp cars use the open cone filter.

Mountain

forum member
Reaction score
We're planning on whittling the DS out all stealth like. We were speculating why Ford didn't open the whole thing up. We couldn't come up with anything aside from noise emissions. Thoughts?

Most likely snow-packing or some other environmental testing criteria that couldn't be passed with such a mass-produced, multi-functional vehicle.

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
OEM Catback on these cars is 72lbs.

Installing Magnaflow today, and it's about 44~lbs.

Sinner

forum member
Reaction score
Terry, great write up and my buddy actually went to see Corey last night and drove that yellow gt and was really impressed. He thought the seats, ride and feel of the car was as good as his Benz. He said it's a much improved car in his opinion.

frank s

at Play
Reaction score
We're planning on whittling the DS out all stealth like. We were speculating why Ford didn't open the whole thing up. We couldn't come up with anything aside from noise emissions. Thoughts?
Next year they'll open it—or some of it—and talk about improved breathing and more HP. Think long, always keep a little something in hand.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back