Shelby rear end clunk

black2008gt

GT500 NOOB
Reaction score
Shelby is making a slight clunk noise from the rear end when i put the car in reverse and also sometimes when start in first. I installed the KR handling kit along with J & m non adjustable lower control arms. Could it be a pinion angle issue? Would it be advised to install an adjustable upper control arm with the KR handling kit?

Last edited:

AlbertD

forum member
Reaction score
Sounds to me like something wasn't torqued down properly. Another possible scenario is that now that you have installed poly lowers... any deterioration/damage in the stock UCA bushing or axle bushing will now be more pronounced.

I would retorque all the components you installed as well as check the UCA and axle bushings for any damage.

I know on my 07 that axle bushing was torn to hell.

I replaced all the rear suspension components with OEM and have no noises or clunks whatsoever.

slvr08gt

forum member
Reaction score
The clunk I hear is when my car is completly still, not moving at all. As soon as I go from neutral to first gear, I can hear and feel a very slight thud from the rear of the car.

black2008gt

GT500 NOOB
Reaction score
Ill retorque the suspension and ill check my pinion angle. Would it be a good idea to say screw it and replace the uca?

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
After the install. Could it be extra nvh from the harder bushings?

Yes. It's very possible that the clunk was always there but you didn't know about it because the factory bushings were doing their job.

Do you also hear it during acceleration and decel during normal driving?

black2008gt

GT500 NOOB
Reaction score
It only happens when accelerating. It could be there while driving but i dont hear it over the motor. Its not a loud clunk, but its audible enough to know its there every time i put the car in reverse or take off in first.

Back