Shifting, tough to shift problem.

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
After putting in my new motor it has been extremely difficult to shift into gears. Along with the motor I replaced the slave cylinder with a new OEM one, and an exedy mach 600 clutch with an exedy steel flywheel. Still a stock tr3650 transmission.
With the engine off, it shifts into gear smooth as butter. When it is running at idle, it is difficult to shift into any gear at first, but once it is in gear it is easy to move through the other gears as long as you are still holding the clutch down. If you let off the clutch and push it again, it does the same thing over again. When driving it is the same way. 2nd gear is the most difficult gear to get into. Is it possible that I bent something on the shifter? Possibly a clutch issue?

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
Mines the same way and I have the same clutch...Idk what it is but mines exactly like this im just hoping it stays togg!!

That's odd. I thought it was an install error at first, but I'm confident that I did everything right. Then I thought maybe the clutch needed to be broke in a bit more, but 400 miles later it's still the same. Maybe Ill call exedy.

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
Reverse is next to impossible it seems..It was tough before but now its even worse...

The only way I can get it into reverse is if I put it in 1st gear, then move it straight to reverse. It's really inconvenient. I've been skipping 2nd gear and going straight to third when cruising, from how bad the shifting is.

slave cylinder problem?

That was my initial thought, but it's a brand new oem slave cylinder from exedy. It's odd because sometimes it's smooth and goes in no problem, other times it's just a pain.

Hopefully someone with more experience can jump in and give their opinion.

06whipple

put the car up on jack stands and see if the wheels are moving too much when its difficult to get in gear...sounds like something is out of spec with the clutch or you still have some air in the slave cylinder. I had the same issue with my McLeod RST (poor disengagement). I never fixed mine...just dealt with it. Probably can be fixed with a slave shim.

Last edited by a moderator:

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If it goes into gear fine with the engine off the trans and shifter are fine. If it was bled properly and it has 400 miles on it, doubt it is a fluid issue.
Def a slave issue. Sounds like preload is off and its not 100% disengaging. For me a slave cylinder shim fixed it. There is metric ton of info on this topic throughout this thread.

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58936&highlight=clutch+issues

gil_t2

Love Nitro in the Morning
Reaction score
Sounds like preload, did you do the measurements before you put it back together? jack the back of the car up, push the clutch in, start the car and see if the wheels are turning with clutch in? if so you need a shim.

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
if you're sitting still in neutral on level ground, and then push the clutch in and try to put the tranny in 1st, does the car try to roll just a hair?

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
Sounds like preload, did you do the measurements before you put it back together? jack the back of the car up, push the clutch in, start the car and see if the wheels are turning with clutch in? if so you need a shim.

if you're sitting still in neutral on level ground, and then push the clutch in and try to put the tranny in 1st, does the car try to roll just a hair?

I'll have to try these things tomorrow and see what I find. The reason why I find it so odd is that it doesn't do it every time.
I may call exedy and see what they say. If it needs a shim I think I'll just have to suck it up for a little while until I can get a 6 speed swap. I really don't want to pull the tranny just to put a shim in it.

For the record, the pedal feels solid just like a stock, but a bit more stiff, all the time.

ArtQ

forum member
Reaction score
I had a problem with a Ram clutch install, It did the same thing. I found the splines on the clutch disc to be very tight. Ones the disc was in contact with the flywheel it would not slide away on disengagement and continued to drag enough to create a problem. Once I took it apart and cleaned up the splines a little with a file the problem was solved. It could also be a burr on the input shaft dragging in the pilot bushing. If it is the slave not disengaging enough you can see through the vent hole in the bellhousing how much air gap you are getting while someone one in the car presses down on the clutch pedal.

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
first my throw out bearing goes. so I replaced the clutch and throw with the exedy 400 as well... you think its the slave? cool..

Throwout bearing=Slave cylinder.

Not sure if it's just my imagination or me getting used to it, but it seems to be getting easier to shift as I put more mileage on it. I'm going to keep driving it as is and if it fixes it, then good. If not, then I don't plan on pulling the transmission unless I'm swapping it for a 6 speed.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
You are describing exactly what happened with my centerforce dual friction. It took about a month or so after install to start showing up. I tried shimming the slave but that didn't cure it. The pressure plate was too much for a stock slave to handle. In the end it was solved with a McLeod RST.

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
Throwout bearing=Slave cylinder.

Not sure if it's just my imagination or me getting used to it, but it seems to be getting easier to shift as I put more mileage on it. I'm going to keep driving it as is and if it fixes it, then good. If not, then I don't plan on pulling the transmission unless I'm swapping it for a 6 speed.

EDIT: It was just my imagination. I felt like I was going to break my transmission today. It seems to be getting worse rather than getting better.

You are describing exactly what happened with my centerforce dual friction. It took about a month or so after install to start showing up. I tried shimming the slave but that didn't cure it. The pressure plate was too much for a stock slave to handle. In the end it was solved with a McLeod RST.

I guess the exedy has to go then? I'm starting to hate driving the car honestly. I drove a stock 2010 gt today at our dealership and I did not want to get out of the 2010 because of the shifter.
If they would release the t56 already I would buy it, but I may have to go with a tr6060. If I pull this transmission it's not going back in.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back