Shipping my car from Dubai to California Ëmiison problem"

BlackSnakeMoan

Pokemon
Reaction score
Got a scholarship and im moving to los angeles California in August. I just cant imagine life without my stang so i decided to take it with me but there seems to be some emission requirement that has to be met so my car can set foot in L.A.
My question is how can i know if my car meet the requirements ane whom can i contact about the matter?

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i need the same info as im moving to CA (LA Area) in september. I know my headers arent CARB, the american Racing Longtubes and i know ill need cats but what else?

MikeVistaBlue06

Inventor: Asshole Points
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Put the exhaust back like it came from the factory, and you should have no issues. CA is very picky about this stuff. Loud mufflers (not stock) can get you into trouble too.

Hope this helps.

Mike

dustindu4

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
just change the emissions back to stock, then change them out after you get inspected. I think you only have to get inspected every 7 years there

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Any parts on your car that are 50 state legal and have a CARB # can remain on the car. No long tubes that I am aware of have a CARB---so as stated, you will need to put the exhaust back to stock, including cats, all though you shouldn't have a problem at all with aftermarket mufflers.

If you have a s/c, make sure it has a CARB # as well. I know the whipple does, not sure about the others.

When you buy a car new here, there is no emissions test required for 7 years. So I bought mine in Aug 2005 and my first test will be in Aug 2012. After the 7 year period, you need and emissions test every other year to renew the registration.

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i have the stock exhaust but does the gulf spec GT has the same exhaust as the american spec GT?

Yes, Ford only made one spec and that was US, it was the most strict on emissions and all countries accept it. the only issues that the EU has on american cars is the turn signals and side markers. the UAE does not have such restrictions but accept both US and EU standards. Good luck,
shipping can take up to 8 weeks via container so make sure you have alternate transpartation.

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You might want to do a little google searching for what all is required to have a vehicle federalized to bring it in to the U.S. to make sure you don't get any gotchas that you didn't know about. I honestly have no idea of the requirements for the EU cars. But little things like safety glass that you might not consider could end up being a real pain in the ass. And as stated below, turn signals are another one that you just don't think about.

Fastmover

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
I sell your car in UAE, and purschase a new one here, easiest way.
i give you a great deal on mine :)

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You might want to do a little google searching for what all is required to have a vehicle federalized to bring it in to the U.S. to make sure you don't get any gotchas that you didn't know about. I honestly have no idea of the requirements for the EU cars. But little things like safety glass that you might not consider could end up being a real pain in the ass. And as stated below, turn signals are another one that you just don't think about.
Your Right I forgot about the Glass requirment, ..

I think you are best to return to stock, sell the car and buy one in the states. the shipping cost, import fees Hawgman is right about the gotchas could cost you more than just buying a new one.

DirtyDogOfTheDesert

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Your Dubai spec car is built to a different spec than the north american spec.
It only has the front 2 cats and not all 4 for starters.

There are several differences in the calibrations. Hopefully Louie (G.T) will see this and chim in, I know he's well versed on the differences.

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
just change the emissions back to stock, then change them out after you get inspected. I think you only have to get inspected every 7 years there

When you buy a car new here, there is no emissions test required for 7 years. So I bought mine in Aug 2005 and my first test will be in Aug 2012. After the 7 year period, you need and emissions test every other year to renew the registration.
Actually, it's 6 years, not 7. http://dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm#BM2543

For those of you moving into the state, here is a good link: http://dmv.ca.gov/vr/newvehicle.htm

DKO

Shut up and die!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i need the same info as im moving to CA (LA Area) in september. I know my headers arent CARB, the american Racing Longtubes and i know ill need cats but what else?

Not sure about the guy from dubai, but for you... swap it back to the factory exhaust. Period. No way around it. I know that cars that are less than 3 years old are not required to smog when the title is transferred (why I didn't have to smog mine) but when coming in from out of state and registering your vehicle there I'm sure you'll need to. The exhaust stuff like no cats and long tubes is going to hammer you.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the area... what's the reason for the move?

start a New life

Not sure about the guy from dubai, but for you... swap it back to the factory exhaust. Period. No way around it. I know that cars that are less than 3 years old are not required to smog when the title is transferred (why I didn't have to smog mine) but when coming in from out of state and registering your vehicle there I'm sure you'll need to. The exhaust stuff like no cats and long tubes is going to hammer you.

I do not have stock manifolds anymore. anyone care to donate them? haha

Think KB is CARB, not sure about my BBR cams or any of that stuff.

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
All you'll need is a bluetooth headset and your ready to go!

DKO

Shut up and die!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
start a New life

Not sure exactly what your intentions are with heading to LA, start a new life is very broad, but if you think it's like you see in the movies you've got another thing coming. Unless it's a promising career opportunity I would consider other options. San Diego area is very nice. People, traffic, cost of living in LA fucking blows.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back