"Short Block" from dealer pre-assembled?

usafimj

Reaction score
For $2000 you're going to spend you should get udps, cmdp's, lt's, and gears. That is if you're staying N/A and can install the udps, cmdp's, and lt's on your own. Gears should be around $500 depending where you live. It'll wake the car up big time

craven

Banned
Reaction score
ok so thats why the startup was quiet with the ford filter due to the anti drainback setup....i am going to get a wix today, and switch them out...

so wix is owned by ford? or ford just labels wix filters?

craven

Banned
Reaction score
For $2000 you're going to spend you should get udps, cmdp's, lt's, and gears. That is if you're staying N/A and can install the udps, cmdp's, and lt's on your own. Gears should be around $500 depending where you live. It'll wake the car up big time

i already installed my udps

craven

Banned
Reaction score
oh damn...cool so the "motorcraft" filter and "wix" filter are identical just different color and name on it?

Vapor08gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Napa gold filters are also re-badged wix filters. If you want to see the difference in internal construction go to your local napa and look at the cut away display.

craven

Banned
Reaction score
Napa gold filters are also re-badged wix filters. If you want to see the difference in internal construction go to your local napa and look at the cut away display.

the difference in what? between motorcraft, wix, and napa gold? or the difference between the mobil 1, and the wix design?

topbliss

Reaction score
actually, the Mobil 1 filter is a very quality piece. Too expensive but good none the less. Do a search on the net for tests and you will find this one that was done recently. My fav, the purolator pure one was rated best with the Mobil 1 second.. Wix is a fine filter. As always stay away from Fram. Some good reading here.. The best filter for your car is a Motorcraft bought from Walmart. Cheap and works great and easy to get

http://www.bestcovery.com/best-oil-filter

craven

Banned
Reaction score
i put 8k on my car in the last 4 months but they are ALL highway miles, at around 80mph @ 2800 rpms....is this harsh on this engine and tranny or is it easier than the city miles....

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
Highway mileage is typically less harsh (wear) on the engine, transmission and related components than constant "stop and go" city mileage. Wix and Baldwin oil filters are among the best quality brands on the market. Take a look at this LINK.

A quality oil filter is cheap insurance to protect your engine investment. Royal Purple is a quality synthetic oil for daily driving. I've been using Amsoil and Red line products for years but I like to play on the road courses. Sounds like your engine is fine with the mileage you have.

craven

Banned
Reaction score
i am just going to put a motorcraft one in , and toss the crappy mobil one.....thats what was in car when i bought it and it had quiet startups.....

chad05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
May want to look into new tensioners, chains, guides, etc.. I noticed wear on mine when I did h/c swap at 50K (I have 80+ now....). Chains were nearly a full link longer than new ones.

Check out WIX fuel filters too, they are not the same as motorcraft (the WIX do not have a crimp in the stem).

craven

Banned
Reaction score
right now i just put a purolator fuel filter on.....is that a good one? got it from pep boys, it was 14 bucks...

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
just found @ o'reilly auto parts....cool....i read about the anti drainback, that maybe why the car makes a tick at idle and didnt make it with the ford filter....

I to have the "tick" at idle. also the vlave train just sounds sloppy. I have read that the valve train should quiten up after 1500 to 2000 rpm. I did a cam swap a few months ago and thought maybe I use the wrong torque specs (89 inch pounds) on the cam tower bolts, but I pulled the valve covers off the other day and rechecked them and everything was where it should've been. I am just going to go with "everything is fine". should be coming into so extra funds in the next few months (around the end of april) and will be going with some big cams (SPR) and if its enough money then definitely some heads.

Question: when and if I change out the heads will the front engine cover have to come off or will I be able to keep tension on the chain and replace the heads and phasers, or will I have to time it from scratch. WHich I don't want to have to do if I can get away with it. I really don't want to have to remove the front of the engine.......

usafimj

Reaction score
Timing chain cover, chains, and guides will have to come off to do a head/cam swap

Back