Short throw shifter require new knob?

07ccdskaterv6

forum member
Reaction score
Will I need an aftermarket knob for a Barton aftermarket shifter? Or can I use my stock shifter knob setup for now?

Renesis07

forum member
Reaction score
Depends... I installed an MGW shifter and my stock shift knob didn't screw on all the way (thread pitch was different). Had to order a new shift knob. It 'worked', however it just didn't go down all the way.

Viperrmk

forum member
Reaction score
The stock shifter knob will not work on the flat handle. As Renesis said it will "work" but wont screw down all the way. I just ordered the white ball knob from american muscle and its great.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Depends... I installed an MGW shifter and my stock shift knob didn't screw on all the way (thread pitch was different). Had to order a new shift knob. It 'worked', however it just didn't go down all the way.

When you order an MGW, you have your choice of course or fine thread on the shifter. You simply chose the wrong thread pitch.

travelers

Reaction score
The Barton shifter I ordered from AM, the stock shifter ball works just fine.

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
the stock shift knob has a soft plastic insert that will re-thread itself to a fine or coarse threaded shift handle. it pro50 handle i got was a different from the stock handle. i just forced it on there and it made a new set of threads over the old one. been on there for probably 5 years.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back