Should I crank it after mods or just let the tuner do it?

06JET

forum member
Reaction score
Hey stkjock I just realized that your signature had Lund Racing Tuned in it. I like the idea of doing that way. Did you do it without taking you car to them and just data-logging it with email tunes? Jon said that he could start it for me in 2 weeks, he is very busy this time of year. I guess you would not know the HP or TQ by doing it that way. What would be the Pro's and then the Con's of doing it that way?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
he tuned mine on a dyno because the previous owner rented dyno time and did it over email/instant message the first time, he refined the tune on a dyno when the car was at L&M Engines getting a new motor.

once the tune is dialed in, you could always to a few pulls on a dyno if you wanted a sheet with numbers.

only Con I see to doing it on the street is having to do pulls to triple digits speeds

06JET

forum member
Reaction score
OK, so how do I do this part?

From Jon
After a possible few datalogs and revisions back and forth, we will instruct when we are ready for wide open throttle (WOT) tuning. On all 2011+ Mustangs and Trucks they are equipped with OEM wideband O2 sensors. This provides us the ability to see Air/Fuel data directly in the datalog. On vehicles not equipped with OEM widebands, we will need to be able to see Air/Fuel data whether it is via an aftermarket wideband sensor and having the signal analogged from a 0-5V output through the flash device into the logging software, or via a dyno and reviewing the air/fuel data plotted on the dyno graph. This can all be discussed further with us prior to completing the WOT portion of the tuning. If a dyno is utilized, it will need to be scheduled with us ahead of time so we can ensure we are available.

I want a AFR gauge but how do I get the info into the datalog during the test runs? Is there an adapter for the wide band sensor to the handheld device?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
you need a aftermarket wideband as yours is a 06, once wired in you can use the analog output from the O2 plugged into the Diablo (if it has such IDK, SCT does) to read the output, you also have to configure the handheld with proper formula to convert the voltage to a AFR, if done without a dyno.

a dyno would have a AFR tail pipe sniffer to get the readings.

I think you started modding before you understood the consequences and now you're over your head.......

Last edited:

06JET

forum member
Reaction score
Oh, I am definitely over my head. But, This too shall pass. We will get it figured out.

Jon just told me that he does not do Diablo devices. So now if i want him to do it i have to find a SCT or buy his nGauge. I looked at the nGauge and i could add the boost and the fuel pressure sensors and keep it in the car all the time for the gauge readouts. I was going to put gauges in it anyway so that is OK. The problem i see is that he is the only one that could use the nGauge, no other tuner could change it for me. I guess that is OK? It would be about $1400 all said and done with the nGauge and Tune. I had a few questions and i am waiting to hear back from him.
I am still thinking about the SCT just for the ability to use it anywhere with any tuner. I wanted the 3 gauge pillar from Brenspeed and i hadn't decided on what brand of gauges yet. I thought about going with Auto-Meter or AEM.

Too many choices. It is making my brain twitch!?!?!?!?!?

Lowfast

Just another idiot
Reaction score
Oh, I am definitely over my head. But, This too shall pass.

At least you are smart enough to realize what you don't know, ask questions, and willing to listen to the advice given. Allot of people ask questions but when they do not get the answer they wanted to hear they get defensive.

06JET

forum member
Reaction score
Yea Lowfast, I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed but i'm not going to blow my motor up if i can help it. I knew what i wanted to do to the Mustang the day after i bought it. I didn't want to take it to the Dyno every time i added a part so i decided that i would just do it all at once and work it out. I appreciate all the help and info here and even if i decide not to go in the direction advised at least i will know what consequences to expect. You guys know about this stuff and if i listen and do the research hopefully i will learn a lot in a short amount of time. I know this all cost money but DANG!!!! I remember just checking the plug color to adjust the carb, setting the timing by ear and stomping the gas. Their is a lot to this blown, computerized Hot Rod. It is fun though.:)

Lowfast

Just another idiot
Reaction score
I hear ya, the good thing is that one it is tuned you don't have to worry about constantly tweaking it, having cold start issues, flooding or any of the other PITA issues of dealing with a carburetor. Plus, you can't beat the sound of that Procharger. I had a Procharged '03 f150, I miss that whine.

travelers

Reaction score
I did mine on the street, but you need to find a safe place and time and preferable straight to do it. It took me a day to find a place and time to do it. I did mine with Jons ok in third gear (manual). I think I did 3 runs.

06JET

forum member
Reaction score
I guess I am looking for a SCT at a good price. I don't need one with a tune in it....I guess. So any one that will work with a Ford would do....Right. Ebay here I come.

JUSTA3V

Moar Throttle!
Reaction score
I would recommend LITO, not only is his customer service and knowledge on the 3v second to none....he is a paying vendor on this forum.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
yea, I spaced on Lito, he's got a lot of tunes under his belt, a very worthy choice as well

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
And I suspect you could get an SCT handheld and a tune from Lito for a hell of a lot less than $1400. Not a damn thing wrong with Lito's tunes, he's top notch. Definitely in the top tier of Mustang tuners along with Lund, VMP and others.

06JET

forum member
Reaction score
I should have called Lito but .....I ordered the nGauge from Lund today. I will keep y'all posted. If it don't work out I'm sure Lito will still be available. I have been told that Lito is top notch. Thanks for all the advice.

06JET

forum member
Reaction score
Got it back together Saturday night and Jon got the nGauge to me so ...... you guessed it. I put the safe tune in it and hit the starter. I had turned the key on and of about 4 times because I wanted the fuel pump to catch up. I did change the injectors during this episode too, you know and I could tell a difference in the sound as it pressured up. The first time I hit the starter it fired up like a BEAST. Idled perfect and I let it get up to temp. The procharger is louder that I remembered. Probably just me. Here is a video of the next day when I started it up again to do the data-logging. Unfortunately the file that Jon sent me for data-logging had a issue and the nGauge would not "see" it on the memory card. That is as far as I got this weekend.

https://youtu.be/1_AgtJUeBvY

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
That's awesome man. I ain't gonna lie. When you first started posting I tho't to myself "Self, that dude is in WAAAAAY over his head!" Lol!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back