Show us your "cool" garage features

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
I'm in the process of designing a new house, and while the garage will be larger than it was, it won't be huge (about 24 x 25). While I need to make good use of the space, I also want it to be a fun room and maybe even a little whimsical. The good news is that I can design in things from the get-go. For example, I am planning on a 2-post lift right in the middle, but I also need to make sure I can have a functional space where I'm not tripping over things all the time. And I need to find a good space for the kegerator. haha

So, I'm looking for pics of all your "cool" garage features. Whether they be space savers, storage systems, unique lighting or power arrangements, compressed air systems, flooring, wall "art", whatever... even just unusual, bizarre, or weird stuff.

And remember...

:worth:

p.s. An assist goes to 2k05gt... his post about the drag tire storage rack gave me the idea for this thread.

StreamlineGT

forum member
Reaction score
Not in my garage, but gets used the same... This is during the build, and I have no finished pics, but all the trim is painted, and there is a computer under the tool box in the corner. It makes a nice little work station, and a place to check posts while working. :D

MVC-173F.jpg

StreamlineGT

forum member
Reaction score
This is in my garage, using electrical contactor enclosures as shelving for those rechargable items that clutter bench tops.

GaragePanel.jpg

don_w

Reaction score
Not in my garage, but gets used the same... This is during the build, and I have no finished pics, but all the trim is painted, and there is a computer under the tool box in the corner. It makes a nice little work station, and a place to check posts while working.
Where did the GT pegboard come from? That's cool!

This is in my garage, using electrical contactor enclosures as shelving for those rechargable items that clutter bench tops.
Nice!

StreamlineGT

forum member
Reaction score
Where did the GT pegboard come from? That's cool!

I hand masked and painted that myself...

Here is a photo of all the electrical cabinets, the other ones I use to hold all the car cleaning stuff, and fluids and such. Note the Saleen replica on the wall for the hose. Sirius satellite radio plays through the computer speakers on top, and a roll of "crash wrap" I use as disposable fender protection under one of the cabinets.

MVC-052F.jpg

I found a completed basement photo.. which I happen to use as an office also.

MVC-188F.jpg

Last edited:

don_w

Reaction score

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I posted this in another thread, but I thought I might as well keep all the ideas in one thread.....

TireRack1.jpg

TireRack3.jpg

TireRack2.jpg

Parts:
2 4 foot 1/2 in black iron pipe w/ threaded ends
8 - 1/2 in Lock Washers
20 ft angle iron w/holes
plywood backing
bolts and nuts
$40.00 parts

n0nleft13

forum member
Reaction score
I'll grab a pic of my uncles garage tomorrow. Just a warning he is a bow tie guy, if you can over look that his setup is a dream garage. Between what he has for the cars, space and his tool setup.

ixtlan

Reaction score
A LARGE air compressor is a MUST HAVE!!!!!
Non paint go at least 8 to 12 cfm at 90psi.
Painting (HVLP) go 12 to 15 cfm at 90psi.
Professional Paint (HVLP) 18+ cfm at 90psi.

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have Gas Heat in My Garage, although Don, with you living in SoCal.. that would not be practical.. But A/C would be... Insulate it well, also add 20 amp plugs every 8-10 feet around the garage. Make sure you have a pull down retractable extension cord from the ceiling as well as an air hose. I love these features in my Garage. make sure you run the air line before drywall.

Make sure they add a sub panel for electric in the Garage, it sucks when you pop a breaker and have to go inside the house to reset it. this will help to if you want to add an arc welder to your tool list... need 220v 60 amps for a good one.

don_w

Reaction score
Heating and cooling are both things I have been planning on checking into, as well as the overhead electrical and air. I also will be designing a good lighting arrangement (I hate dark garages). And for sure I'll need multiple 220V circuits... at least three: one for the compressor, one for the 2-post lift, and then one for the future (e.g., a welder).

StreamlineGT

forum member
Reaction score
Don, how high is your ceiling going to be? If it is 15' or higher, T5HO FTW! They are outrageously bright, but $$$. Sometimes the power company has rebates, but sometimes only for an upgrade. Just a thought. I'll post up a pic of my ceiling when I get home.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back