Side project Beer Can chair

Shaffe

forum member
Reaction score
well I had the brilliant idea of making a chair out of beer cans. Well Ive got just about enough beer cans to start building, but know im running into problems like how to get it to support any weight and how to get it stay together.

I think I'll punch out some of the cans and put some type of bracing such as PVC pipe in it so it can support some weight. But now I'm lost on what to use to keep them together. anybody got any ideas?

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
maybe you could rivet the top corner of one can to the bottom of the other, this would help keep them together. You could also use some PL200 adhesive. As far as them crushing I would think as long as the weight is balanced on the 4 legs you should be okay.

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
oh, and if it is a chair made of beer cans you need to have some duct tape and bailing wire in there somewhere... it just wouldn't be complete without them.

Shaffe

forum member
Reaction score
See i plan on using a lot of cans in the legs to try and keep them from crushing so were thinking the same there. Ill have to look into that PL200. Thats the only thing thats holding me back from building right now is I'm not sure what adhesive to use.

ive got around 5 empty cases worth of cans to start building with hahaha.

Steve@T

Torq Sales
Reaction score
You can always make a cool hat to go along with it:

beer-can-hat-revisited.jpg

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
Buddy of mine and I did one years ago (like 20...). It was very similar to the one in the picture I posted but we did the arms one level lower and did beer bottles along the top of the back to get the "Throne" look. Dropping it down the one can level made it much more "Usable". As I am sure you have guessed it its a fun novelty toy but if you want to actually "Use" the chair you are going to need a pillow for the seat...

Shaffe

forum member
Reaction score
hahahah well for my seat I intended on laying the cans sideways, so that said chair might be useable without a pillow. and I plan on using aluminum pints or bottles for the top of the chair for the throne look. main point of the chair is to put outside when I have bonfires hahaha

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
Well there you go... anchor it down or bring it in at night, a good wind and your neighbor will have a sweet beer can chair. That is how we lost ours... left it outside after a good night of making spare parts and had a windy night. Never saw it again.

Shaffe

forum member
Reaction score
member on antoher Forum suggested using some type of foam filler in the cans for some support. what you guys think?

killr3v

Hector G.
Reaction score
I suppose with enough filler evenly distributed it should hold up fine. I love the throne idea though. I never even heard of making chairs out of cans.

Shaffe

forum member
Reaction score
The idea came to me while constructing a beeramyd hahahah, I thought damn why not make a chair hahahaha

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
I don't think foam filler will work, it would just compress under enough weight.

Personally, I would build a frame out of metal bars and have the bars go right through the center of the cans so they can't be seen (since the cans would be stacked, thus hiding the inside bar frame). You'll have to get creative on the corners and such but this would be much safer than filling in the cans and stacking them, unless of course you fill them with something solid like cement (which would in turn make it a really really heavy chair).

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
I think you (others) are REALLY overthinking this... no matter how you build the throne it is not going to be very comfortable. As such, it will be a novelty item in the corner of the room. I wouldn't get too carried away with foam or steel frames, just glue them together and enjoy it for a few weeks. If you break it... just make another!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back