Skwerl's new cabin

07TR

forum member
Reaction score
I'm always happy to help or answer any questions man shoot me a pm and we will get some more contact info to help you out

slow06stang

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Depending on how far out the chip is on the sink they have beauty rings that can cover some mistakes. I personally use blue painters tape and skill saw with a good fine tooth blade to cut counter-tops. Sometimes without a guide the router can take a turn for the worse.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Still waiting on my carpenter buddy to get an available day to come help me finish the kitchen cabinets/counters. This morning I have been measuring and cutting baseboard. I just made an unfortunate discovery, my roof is leaking. Water stains have reappeared in two bedrooms where I scraped and textured the ceilings. I really don't need this right now. My desire and drive to work on this house is quickly waning. Looks like I'll live in a shithole for a while.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Another day wasted. Picked out my stain color for the baseboard. Bought a sander, sanding discs, stain, mineral spirits, disposable brushes, clear spar urethane, etc. Began staining the cut baseboards and they look like absolute shit. Fuck all this bullshit, I'm just going to paint them (need to cut new pieces since I can't paint over stain). Another day and $400 pissed away. I need a fucking break before I go insane.

slow06stang

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just prime the trim with an oil based primer and then use an enamel semi-gloss or whatever sheen you want. No need to buy new trim. Do you have vents or vent stacks going through the roof in the leak area? Sometimes roofers use the cheap tin with rubber boots to go around them and the rubber deteriorates causing leaks. If the stack pipe has elbows in the attic the water will follow the pipe to an elbow and drip. Roof leaks are a pain to track sometimes. Another thing I have done to find a roof leak is have someone on the roof with a house and start low on the roof wetting it down. You look in the attic to see where it is coming in, or look for wet or previous water damaged lumber. Good Luck. Don't give up just walk away for a while like you said.

07TR

forum member
Reaction score
What kind of lumber is your baseboard and whose stain did you buy

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
So skwerl I may be soon behind you. been slowly skimming online postings the last year or so, checking on houses for sale by owner. Found this one thats a 3/2 expanded on an old farmhouse, 2 story + basement, need's some work but on 2.2 acres and has a 32x40 shop, concrete slab poured in and electricity ran out there.

going to look at it again tomorrow and may put a deposit to hold it till inspection

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Sounds awesome, Wes. Best of luck with it. The one thing I didn't get with this place is my shop, although I have a really big garage. Still not the same though.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
outside looks dirty but inside is damn nice, guy poured a concrete slab in the shop, fuse box, outlets spread around the shop and lights across the entire length of the building.

rYkSn2r.jpg

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Slowly getting back into working on the house again. I keep finding places where I don't like how the walls look so I'm constantly skimming over rough spots with drywall mud, and of course that means two coats of paint to cover the mud again. I need to quit patching and focus on finishing the painting instead.

Found a nice dark brown color to paint the baseboards. The ones I stained I was able to paint over them and they covered nicely without bubbling or bleeding through. Spent a little while today putting the first coat on a bunch more baseboards I had cut. Also picked up some door casing material for a couple closet doors and to finish off the other two exterior doors I installed.

The color is going to work nicely I think. It compliments the dark kitchen cabinets also. Here is the master bed/bath area. Still need to paint the door jambs and clear polyurethane the doors.

IMG_3136.jpg

Talked with the guy at Pinch-A-Penny about my pool circulation setup. Instead of jets around the sides, they are in the bottom of the pool. There are supposed to be popup diverters and they are designed to run in zones so they push all the debris to the bottom and suck it up in the main drain. Mine is missing all the diverters as well as the guts of the distribution valve, so it just blows water out all the holes straight up all the time. He set me up to have someone come out next week to take a look at what I have and get me what I need to make it all work properly. It still needs to be resurfaced but I'd like to at least have everything working correctly for now.

Almost ready to tackle the kitchen again soon. I anchored down the one big section of counter top and got my sink plumbed in so I have a working sink. Need to buy another short piece of counter top to replace the two sections I screwed up.

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The base boards look good. Great to see you making progress again.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Made some headway on the kitchen today. Got the wall and soffitt painted with the second coat so I could hang the last cabinet. My carpenter buddy is supposed to come by tomorrow afternoon so I will have the replacement counter top here to be cut and installed. But the big deal is that all my cabinets are finished so I can finally start unpacking my kitchen stuff!

IMG_3138.jpg

A close up of the black composite sink I picked out. The oil rubbed bronze colored drains were $35 EACH! You can get the polished ones for $7 each, same brand and quality. Yes, it's dirty. I just finished washing some drywall tools and a paint brush.

IMG_3139.jpg

ksack

forum member
Reaction score
Congrats! That is a far cry from what it looked like when you bought it. Well done!

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Couple things today. Conrad came over and got the countertop in place. He didn't do it the way I envisioned, instead he gouged out the wall so the left end would set back recessed and the seam would be straight. I couldn't watch. It still isn't very good but it's done so I'll move on to more important things.

IMG_3141.jpg

Shower glass door is finally installed. I got tired of waiting for pros who never called back so I tackled it myself today. Got everything in straight but the one piece of glass is 1/2" shorter than the door. I think they matched all the measurements up correctly but forgot to allow for the 1/2" tall sweep on the bottom of the door. Whatever, it's also done and no one will ever notice except me. Anyone picking up on a theme here?

French doors leading out to the back porch. This is my main entrance so I want it to look good. When installing the doors we had to tear out the old door frame plus the framing all the way back to the block, and barely had enough room to get the door in. On the inside Conrad cut some drywall to fit and just glued it to the block with construction adhesive. Finishing this drywall would be a pain in the ass plus I have no room to work behind the door hinges. So I decided to skin it with wood veneer and make it look like a hardwood door casing. Today we cut the veneer to fit. I will paint it and glue it in place, then install the painted door casing around the outside edges. It will match all the other door casings in the house instead of being drywall. Hopefully I can do this without screwing it up.

IMG_3140.jpg

Last edited:

walker2t

forum member
Reaction score
I would live there! Nice job! Like said above, a far cry from before....

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Thanks! Still picking away at it. Currently working on the trim around the entry door and also picked up some items for the bathroom today. Different shower head in bronze as well as a couple more towel bars. Going to put a short one in the shower to hang washcloths and replace the one I ripped down last weekend.

Painting the door jamb is slow as I need to remove the door hinges and weatherstripping, and it's taking two coats. Did I mention I hate painting? The big, wide open areas go quickly but the trim takes forever and my hands aren't steady enough so I fuck up a lot.

Thankfully I'm not on any timetable so I can take as long as I want. I tackle whatever is bothering me the most at the moment. It won't be long before I make a push to wrap up the kitchen and baseboards so that I can clear that crap out of my garage and begin working on my workshop area.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back