Skwerl's New Hot Rod part 2

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I really don't want to hack up the factory exhaust, which is why I'm sticking with cat backs for now. In fact I've never been big on exhaust mods but this thing is so quiet I can't even hear it running. If I delete the sound tube coming off the intake I won't be able to tell when I should shift without looking at the tach.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I'm hoping to throw in the new driveshaft at the same time. ;) I think I'll try the Roush and hopefully they won't be too loud with the factory cats and resonators. I may also talk to Steve and see what kind of deals he has on any FRPP exhaust setups.

i am ryan

forum member
Reaction score
I have Bassanis for my 3V and aside from deletes or the FR500S they are as loud as it gets for just axle backs. That being said, they'll still be tame compared to your old setup and they are beautiful and well made. I have no idea what they sound like on a 5.0, though. Whatever you decide on I'm sure will sound great, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grabber5.sl0w

forum member
Reaction score
Roush sound amazing if you leave the rest of the exhaust stock. You definitely won't disappointed if you go with them.

Last edited:

cbass

m̶o̶u̶t̶h̶s̶e̶x̶
Reaction score
I had Gibsons, Magnadrones, and now am on the GT500 quads. Definitely shouldn't have wasted time with anything but the gt500's. I have cat deletes, so it's plenty loud when I want it, but I can still sneak through a sleepy village when needed,

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I've heard a lot of Roush cars around town, you know they're running the stock midpipe and they sound the best of any of the 5.0 cars, to me.

BEAST

CHEROKEE NOOB HUNTER
Reaction score
I really don't want to hack up the factory exhaust, which is why I'm sticking with cat backs for now. In fact I've never been big on exhaust mods but this thing is so quiet I can't even hear it running. If I delete the sound tube coming off the intake I won't be able to tell when I should shift without looking at the tach.

I ended up on the Rev limiter a few times because of this. I shift by feel and sound.. in stock form, there is not much of either. I have $200 and 1 hour of my time in my exhaust. I sat at the shop while they welded them in. If my phone took a video worth posting I would do so. It's a deep classic rumble, that sounds MEAN above 4k. Stainless super10's check them out.

AlbertD

forum member
Reaction score
Any suggestions on exhaust?

My vote would be Corsa Sports. Loud when you want them to be and quite/no drone when cruising. They are pricey, but well worth it imo.

On the cheaper side, I would say Roush or GT500.

claudermilk

Reaction score
I get compliments on the Roush axle backs all the time; they sound great. Neighbors have commented I am their alarm clock--note no complaints, just that everyone knows when I leave. They are about as loud as I want.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Today I got my windows tinted and found a scratch in one of my back windows. I installed a dead pedal and shorted out a wire (no idea what it was). I installed hood struts and cross threaded one of the hood mounting bolts, had to chase threads with a tap. Also ripped my thumb open and was leaking blood everywhere.

Got a question for other 2010+ owners. Is there a way to remove the center AC vents without pulling the entire dash? How hard are they to remove? Mine are shiny chrome and when the sun is overhead the glare is awful. The curved surface means there's no escaping the glare either. My window tint guy gave me some black vinyl to cover the chrome but I don't want to cut it against the dash. Preferred method would be to remove the vents, wrap the chrome and reinstall. I taped over the chrome temporarily.

IMG_2790.jpg

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
Everything that I can find shows that you have to take the entire dash apart.

Attachments

• 194373017.jpg
    194373017.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 194373019.jpg
    194373019.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 194373479.jpg
    194373479.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 14

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Looks like I may just try tracing it out, then cutting the vinyl using the tracing lines. Luckily I can tuck it in around the chrome piece so if the edges aren't perfect they will still hide in the crack.

i am ryan

forum member
Reaction score
Looks like I may just try tracing it out, then cutting the vinyl using the tracing lines. Luckily I can tuck it in around the chrome piece so if the edges aren't perfect they will still hide in the crack.

I think you'll find that that method is more painful than its worth. I would just lay the whole piece over it, tuck in the inside then outside with a credit card, cut out the inside line first, and then the outside. Use an Xcacto knife with a fresh blade instead of a razor to get around those corners more easily. Depending on the vinyl, it should take little to not pressure to cut it so you won't even have to worry about damaging anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Brian, I went into the Ford dealer today....to get some wiper blades, since mine were trashed. I pull up, park, and get out, and 20' away on the upper level is a shiny new Black 2014 GT, with Brembo brakes, 19" wheels, touch screen, etc, etc. It's discounted by $9K. I had to be somewhere else asap... so didn't have more than 2 mins to have a look see. After a few more errands, I get home, find out they gave me the wrong blades, so back I go. This time I had a better look... but had more stuff to do, so didn't take it for a spin. I'm damn tempted to trade in my Black 2010 on the Black 2014.

I did notice the 2014 still has the dreaded 4x4 look. I had my tape measure handy..and measured from the center hub to top of wheel well.... 16" on the front and 16.75" on the rear. ( my 2010 with roush suspension is 15" front and 15.5" rear). You are right though, the 2014 is dead quiet. They had the stereo cranked up. I heard the eng fan running...so went around the back, again.... and got down real low..and could barely hear a thing. I stuck my hand over it to verify the eng was actually on.

This one had rercaro seats...with airbags. I don't like the front grille though. Those honeycomb openings just don't do it for me. Rear spoiler was the small one (like the one I had on the 2010, b4 I replaced it with the 2012 GT-500 version), not the elevated pedestal type on the CS.

Man, I'm real tempted though. What I wouldn't be looking forward to is a ton of mods again.

later.......... Jimbo

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back