Slight smell of fuel

Snakethat

forum member
Reaction score
So at start up I at times have a slight smell of fuel and when I punch it while cruising down the road. Those are the only times I smell it and it's not every time. I have a 302, ID injectors, 2.8 pulley saleen, gt500 fuel pumps. Car runs great. At times it doesn't start so I have to pump the throttle. I'm guessing this id due to the injectors.

usafimj

Reaction score
When I had my mustang and installed the gt500 fuel pump I didn't fully seat the pump cap and gas/fumes were coming out. If you installed the gt500 fuel pump yourself recheck that.

michael.konor

forum member
Reaction score
Failing that, ask around and see if someone has a hydrocarbon sniffer you can borrow. I picked up one a few years back while tracing a slight fuel smell that was intermittent. 10 minutes later I tracked it down.

Since then, it's come in handy helping troubleshoot other cars I've been asked to look at.

Snakethat

forum member
Reaction score
At startup there is more fuel to get it going but then my a/f gauge reads fine. I let the car idle for a good few minutes. It always idles fine. The smell isn't always there during this time of start up. Checked the fuel pump and all is good. But it seems to be there when I get on it while cruising at 30 mph. There seems to be a slight smell of fuel. When I'm driving around I don't smell anything. I had my wife with me and didn't tell her about and when I go on it she could smell it too.

DAD_23

forum member
Reaction score
Check your fuel filter. I had fuel smell issue as well, turned out my fuel filter was leaking a bit from one of the welds.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back