So I'm tired of running DR's...

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
The 555R has a tread wear rating of 100..and only 5/32" of initial tread depth. On paper, it's supposed to be good for 10K miles. Folks around town see typ 10K...and several get 15K, but that's very minimal strip use. If you spend 2 full days at the strip, they are done.

The NT-05R has a tread wear rating of zero ! 6.3 / 32" of initial tread depth. Not wet friendly.
When I ran them I got almost 17K miles. No track use. Have a set for the strip.

if you are getting 17K miles from them, then why switch ? How many miles a year do you put on the car ??

07 Boss

Reaction score
The 555R has a tread wear rating of 100..and only 5/32" of initial tread depth. On paper, it's supposed to be good for 10K miles. Folks around town see typ 10K...and several get 15K, but that's very minimal strip use. If you spend 2 full days at the strip, they are done.

The NT-05R has a tread wear rating of zero ! 6.3 / 32" of initial tread depth. Not wet friendly.

if you are getting 17K miles from them, then why switch ? How many miles a year do you put on the car ??

I went with the regular NT05's.

Cause the 555R's are not that good of a DR when you compare them to the MT's or even the NT05R. I wanted to try a street tire because the 555R really sucks when it's wet out. Not that that happens very often but since she is my daily again I will run into those occasions. I actually thought my MT SS's did OK in the rain but I got less than 10K out of them.

46addict

Reaction score
I always saw the 555Rs as a rain compliant tire that is stickier than regular street tires. Not designed for full time drag use. Mine still have 3/32" tread left but I blow them off in 1st gear with a basic 10psi Procharger setup. But then again they are 5 years old now. I know I can't expect to floor it from a dead stop and expect it to hook but I'm not making that much power.

If you already have dedicated track tires it makes sense to get a harder street tire for more mileage. I was going to say the NT01s may work better on the street since they are road course tires, but let us know how the NT05s work out.

justinsstang

forum member
Reaction score
Completely disregarded the 1.59 60ft on Continental street tires and went with more Nittos I see :(
Hope they work out okay for you! I'm going for the extremecontact sports once these lame NT05Rs wear out. I'm on all motor and still can't hook from a dead stop on these. Maybe 60 degrees out is too cold. Sad part is the car has a boss manifold so it loses a little torque down low -.- my DW tires were better than these for sure... But I don't do burnouts to heat these up first on the street either.

fourdegrees11

forum member
Reaction score
Completely disregarded the 1.59 60ft on Continental street tires and went with more Nittos I see :(
Hope they work out okay for you! I'm going for the extremecontact sports once these lame NT05Rs wear out. I'm on all motor and still can't hook from a dead stop on these. Maybe 60 degrees out is too cold. Sad part is the car has a boss manifold so it loses a little torque down low -.- my DW tires were better than these for sure... But I don't do burnouts to heat these up first on the street either.

You definitely have me highly considering 285/40r18 Conti Sports over 295/40r18 Falken 615K+ for a square setup when I eventually swap to my 18x10 Forgestars. Bonus points for the Contis being a good bit lighter

justinsstang

forum member
Reaction score
You definitely have me highly considering 285/40r18 Conti Sports over 295/40r18 Falken 615K+ for a square setup when I eventually swap to my 18x10 Forgestars. Bonus points for the Contis being a good bit lighter
Do it!
You won't...
No balls...
:p

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
I always saw the 555Rs as a rain compliant tire that is stickier than regular street tires. Not designed for full time drag use. Mine still have 3/32" tread left but I blow them off in 1st gear with a basic 10psi Procharger setup. But then again they are 5 years old now. I know I can't expect to floor it from a dead stop and expect it to hook but I'm not making that much power.

If you already have dedicated track tires it makes sense to get a harder street tire for more mileage. I was going to say the NT01s may work better on the street since they are road course tires, but let us know how the NT05s work out.

NT-01's sound like snow tires....esp if you have em on all 4 corners.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Falken is a good cheap tire, not a cheap good tire. I would pass.

justinsstang

forum member
Reaction score
Are they louder than RE-71R? Those things sound like 35" Mudders when I'm doing 75 on the Interstate.
So do the NT05R on the rear of my car. Can't wait for them to wear out so I have a reason to get back on Conti tires!

07 Boss

Reaction score

Didn't disregard them at all. Just couldn't find anything bigger than a 285

justinsstang

forum member
Reaction score
Didn't disregard them at all. Just couldn't find anything bigger than a 285

Ah could be your wheel size. Think it goes up to a 315 on a 20" wheel, haven't checked out other sizes though. The 1.59 was cut on a 285/35/19 though with a Paxton.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Well after a week with the NT05's, they are about what I expected. They are OK but I will have to watch the right foot a little. They get loose when she downshifts into 3rd hard. I was pretty used to spinning them in second but now 3rd gear looks like it may become an issue. Not really disappointed as I knew they would never compare. We'll see how many miles we can get out of these before deciding if it was a good choice. I have a suspicion that I will be going back to DR's or at least the MT SS's.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Today and yesterday were the first measurable rain here in like 120 days. Yesterday was treacherous but I think that was due to the oil build up over the last 4 months that floats to the surface. My abs chattered a few times and I almost slipped walking across the street. Rained all night so most of the oil has been washed away. I was kinda pleasantly surprised as these seem to be a touch better than any DR that I had to drive with on wet roads. She still wants to skate on me as it hits about 3K rpms. I think next time it rains I will switch tunes and shift manually. My shift points are set really high and I do have to get it up there a bit to get it to switch gears.

Last edited:

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Michelin PSS or whatever the upgraded replacement is. I run MPSS on my Mustang and they grip like crazy. Great in the rain also.

I have the same, I was blown away by the rain handling capabilities. Never driven any vehicle in the rain that had that 100% confidence feeling like these do, it still blows me away. Plus they grip so freaking hard in the summer, never tried them on a drag strip though....

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back