So What Tires are Currently Available?

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My Goodyears are about shot. Which is good, because those tires frakking sucked. And that means I get to dip into my future children's inheritance/college fund to put some new competition shoes on the Mustang!

Now, I know that there have been weird supply issues making some tires in particular Mustang-friendly sizes very difficult to find. So, my question is what ~200-treadwear autocross tires are currently available in a size mountable on an 18x10 wheel?

The ones I'm currently aware of are:
  • Bridgestone RE071R
  • Nitto NT05
  • Hankook Ventus R-S3
  • BFG Rival S
Are there any other ones available? And out of those tires, what has been your experience with them, and which ones are a good "bang for your buck"? I'd be using the tires almost exclusively for autocross, putting them on the car before the event and driving there and back.
EDIT: I obviously don't need the tires until April-May of next year.

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
I LOVED my Rivals (295s), though not sure how the Rival S will do. I think it is a fairly new tire. Had a friend who ran on R-S3's with his set. His results were mixed.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've heard good things about the Rivals. But I've also heard they wear out REALLY FAST. They're also the most expensive tire up there. (Not that I mind the price if it's worth it.)

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
For autocross, the Rival S and RE71R are heads and shoulders above everything else.

Tier two IMO is RS3, Direzza Z2, RE11, Regular Rival.

You're looking at either a 275 or 285 and a 35 or 40 sidewall.

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
When looking at those tires though I see that the 295's (If they are even offered) are only offered in a 30 sidewall height. What kind of difference would that make on performance considering the shorter height and shorter sidewall?

DILYSI Dave

forum member
Reaction score
Maxxis launched a new tire that might be interesting - Victra VR-1. 200TW, going to come in a 295/40/18. I hear other sizes of interest to us may be in the works as well.

SlowJim

forum member
Reaction score
These are probably the steal of the moment... older compound but still better than the Goodyears: Kumho Ecsta XS 275/35/18... 800 shipped

Also Nitto NT05 275/40/18... 820 shipped

Unless you're trying to win a championship or something, I don't see the point spending $1200 on a set of tires which will be bald at the end of the season.

Last edited:

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Maxxis launched a new tire that might be interesting - Victra VR-1. 200TW, going to come in a 295/40/18. I hear other sizes of interest to us may be in the works as well.
Got a link? Any idea when those will be available? Like I said, I don't need them until Spring, so I can wait...
These are probably the steal of the moment... older compound but still better than the Goodyears: Kumho Ecsta XS 275/35/18... 800 shipped

Also Nitto NT05 275/40/18... 820 shipped

Unless you're trying to win a championship or something, I don't see the point spending $1200 on a set of tires which will be bald at the end of the season.
I totally agree. I don't put enough time into the sport to be competitive at a national or even regional level, so I don't want to blow a couple grand on tires that will only last a season.

But at the same time, those Goodyears I had were so bloody disappointingly dreadful that they held me back, and I don't want that to happen again.

The Nitto NT-05s are the cheapest option, and I talked to a fellow who used them on his C4 Corvette quite competitively, but his car is also significantly lighter than my Evil Pony.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

Mark Aubele

forum member
Reaction score
NT05s suck if you are trying to be competitive. If not, they are better than your goodyears were, and I wouldn't hesitate to run them on the street, and I have in the past.

Saleen4971

forum member
Reaction score
i hear the RE-071 is a monster on road course (kills the 11) but havent tried them yet.

ive looked at budget tires, and for summers the RE760 sport (i think thats it) is discontinued, but if you call a few places may be able to get a deal on them (my store has been sitting on a pair for a long time, i may snatch em up)

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I know a guy who autocrosses a '13 Mustang, and he LOVES the RE-71

SlowJim

forum member
Reaction score
Got a link? Any idea when those will be available? Like I said, I don't need them until Spring, so I can wait...

I totally agree. I don't put enough time into the sport to be competitive at a national or even regional level, so I don't want to blow a couple grand on tires that will only last a season.

But at the same time, those Goodyears I had were so bloody disappointingly dreadful that they held me back, and I don't want that to happen again.

The Nitto NT-05s are the cheapest option, and I talked to a fellow who used them on his C4 Corvette quite competitively, but his car is also significantly lighter than my Evil Pony.

I've autocrossed on both the NT05 and Goodyear Eagle F1s. Also did a HPDE weekend on NT05's in a different car. They overheat quickly but are fine for autocross, especially if you spray them. I'd say they are both about what I expected given the price ($600 for the Goodyears, $800 for the NT05's).

Wildcard option is Continental or Pirelli take-off slicks. I got a set for about $350 shipped to my door. Haven't tried them out yet and obviously they may put you in a different class, and longevity is questionable. Also not street legal. Just another option for us amateur guys on a budget.

drq2q

Reaction score
What are the pros/cons to running on a smaller than OEM diameter tire? I've been looking at 35s vs 40s for 18x10 wheels I just picked up for track days. Seems like a 35 profile is a good inch less than the stock 19s that came with my trackback, and I just wondered if that will have any kind of negative impact on handling. Sorry if this is a dumb question...

Mark Aubele

forum member
Reaction score
What are the pros/cons to running on a smaller than OEM diameter tire? I've been looking at 35s vs 40s for 18x10 wheels I just picked up for track days. Seems like a 35 profile is a good inch less than the stock 19s that came with my trackback, and I just wondered if that will have any kind of negative impact on handling. Sorry if this is a dumb question...

You have too much gear as it is, a shorter tire will make it worse. Be like having ~3.90s compared to 3.73s. Other than that not much. I run a shorter tire but geared down to 3.31 to compensate.

drq2q

Reaction score
Copy that. I'm doing HPDEs not autocross but I do tend to hit the limiter in 4th a lot on the track I run, so gearing down might be a good idea. Thanks for the advice.

Mark Aubele

forum member
Reaction score
Copy that. I'm doing HPDEs not autocross but I do tend to hit the limiter in 4th a lot on the track I run, so gearing down might be a good idea. Thanks for the advice.

No problem! 3.31s suit these cars well.

2Fass240us

forum member
Reaction score
Wildcard option is Continental or Pirelli take-off slicks. I got a set for about $350 shipped to my door.
Do you mind if I ask from where? I'm in the market for used r-comps during the off-season.

Stephen31201

forum member
Reaction score
I ran the RE-11s 275/35 and they were pretty awesome. Never autocrossed them but did run them on a road course once. Good mileage on the street.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back