Sound proofing interior

monk36

forum member
Reaction score
I'm planning on putting some sort of sound deadening material down, probably dynamat extreme, on the interior including doors, floor, roof, and trunk. Ya ya, it will add some weight, but I could really care less. I can't get enough traction anyway, and it's my daily.

My question is, for the entire interior, would 72 sq ft of material do it, or would I need more?(dm extreme comes in 36 sq ft packs) Also, is there something more preferred than dm extr in terms of price or function? I'm not looking to spend any more lol than the dm, and I have heard it's one of the easiest to work with. However, I'm new to this, and the searching I did was inconclusive. For those of y'all that have done any sound deadening, what has worked for y'all?

Last edited:

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
I dynomat'd the under rear seat, up the rear sides part of the way, and then back and into most of the trunk, using 5 out of 9 'sheet's in the pack. It really helped knock out a lot of the rear end, tire, and exhaust noise.

Ky S197

forum member
Reaction score
I've dynomatted the trunk and under the rear seat, it really helped with the drone and volume of the exhaust. I plan on doing the doors and floor pan. I've already used 40 square feet of the dynomat extreme. BTW i bought the 36 sf package off ebay for 139 shipped.

3VPOWA

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Look into SecondSkin instead of the overpriced Dynamat.

When I get the time I plan to use the Damplifier Pro and OverKill in my doors and Damplifier Pro in my trunk.

http://www.secondskinaudio.com/

And watch out if you use eBay to buy DM. Sometimes it's not truly DM but something else with the DM symbol on it.

Kris_H

forum member
Reaction score
I've used QuietRide in my past 2 project cars ('05 Mustang and '11 Super Duty) and have had great results. They custom cut their kits to fit specific cars and include not only enough Dynamat sheets to cover all the interior panels (even the roof skin in some cases) but also include jute-type padding to glue down over it for added dampening and heat absorption.

Check them out at www.quietride.com.

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't remember how much Fatmat I used on mine, but have done from the trunk latch to the dash board, and both doors. It not only made a big difference in the noise level but also made the car sound like it was a hell of a lot more solid. I just wish I could figure out a way to do between the roof and the headliner so it didn't sound like I was standing in a tin barn when it rained.

Kris_H

forum member
Reaction score
I don't remember how much Fatmat I used on mine, but have done from the trunk latch to the dash board, and both doors. It not only made a big difference in the noise level but also made the car sound like it was a hell of a lot more solid. I just wish I could figure out a way to do between the roof and the headliner so it didn't sound like I was standing in a tin barn when it rained.

You posted like 2 seconds after me, but if you're looking to do your roof, QuietRide has just a roof kit available for about $130. It really helped my Mustang as I always hated the tin can sound in rain and just the general thinness of it all.

monk36

forum member
Reaction score
Look into SecondSkin instead of the overpriced Dynamat.

When I get the time I plan to use the Damplifier Pro and OverKill in my doors and Damplifier Pro in my trunk.

http://www.secondskinaudio.com/

And watch out if you use eBay to buy DM. Sometimes it's not truly DM but something else with the DM symbol on it.

Really interested in damp pro now. Would you recommend the overkill over the luxury liner for these cars?

Also, how does raamat stack up to second skin, or do you know?

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
Don't have tons of experience here but I used RAAMat myself. I contacted the owner directly, his name is Rick (if I remember correctly). He was super cool, he's actually more of a racer than an audio guy.

I found this to be the best bang for the buck at the time based on my research. I emailed him and got a small discount just by shooting the shit and talking about random racing stuff with him. He also answered all questions I had about the product.

http://www.raamaudio.com/

(no affiliation)

I got the whole shebang. I ordered the deadning stuff and the foam stuff that goes over it, along with the spray can adhesive. Easy install and really cuts the road noise.

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
Have you thought about using Lizard Skin?

Don't have tons of experience here but I used RAAMat myself. I contacted the owner directly, his name is Rick (if I remember correctly). He was super cool, he's actually more of a racer than an audio guy.

I found this to be the best bang for the buck at the time based on my research. I emailed him and got a small discount just by shooting the shit and talking about random racing stuff with him. He also answered all questions I had about the product.

http://www.raamaudio.com/

(no affiliation)

I got the whole shebang. I ordered the deadning stuff and the foam stuff that goes over it, along with the spray can adhesive. Easy install and really cuts the road noise.

If you want a product like this, RAAMat is the way to go. Rick is a super cool guy, he will go above and beyond helping anyone.

Last edited:

Lee's05GT

Formally Qksixx
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I did my v6 with dynomat but I didnt like how messy it was and how many times I cut my damn finger, I would like to use something that wasnt so messy and works just as good as dynomat on my gt.

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
Have you thought about using Lizard Skin?

If you want a product like this, RAAMat is the way to go. Rick is a super cool guy, he will go above and beyond helping anyone.

What is lizard skin?

I have no plans to sound deaden the mustang. It is a quiet piece of heaven compared to my last car so I have no complaints. Well, I do have one thing. There's something in my dash that rattles randomly. It's SO annoying.

BadHabit2Break

forum member
Reaction score
I have used Seal & Peel. Don't laugh!

I have built a few audio cars in my day, and this stuff works great.

Installing it in my GT now. I have the trunk lid and drivers door done already.

nickk678

forum member
Reaction score
I used to compete in car audio sound quality competitions and have done some extensive sound deadening in all of my vehicles. The mat (dynamat, raamaat, second skin, etc) won't necessarily deaden the exterior road noise. It's purpose is resonance control. You don't need to cover the whole vehicle in it. Generally I have used strips in the past to control resonance. A lot of people only use a mat with no other barrier and talk themselves in to thinking there is reduced road noise. This may be slightly true, but you won't get the results you are looking for if the deadning is stopped there. (tip - If you live in a warm climate, make sure you purchase butyl based mat and not asphalt. Asphalt mat is messy and melts when it's hot)

The sound deadening you are looking for will come from another barrier, generally foam, but there are other options. Take some time and read the information at this website:
http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/
Don has been running the website for quite some time and has developed his own products that work really well. His prices are fair and there is a lot of information you should read that will save you time and money in the long run. I am going to be doing my Mustang within the next couple weeks and will be using his products and methods.

3VPOWA

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Really interested in damp pro now. Would you recommend the overkill over the luxury liner for these cars?

Also, how does raamat stack up to second skin, or do you know?

I sent an e-mail to them asking what their suggestion would be for my car. I wanted to quiet down the exhaust a little in the car as well as help with my component set in the doors.

Hello Jonathan,

Thanks for your interest in Second Skin!

To properly treat the doors and accomplish the goals you listed in your email, you will need to use a combination of materials:
1. Apply a solid layer of Damplifier or Damplifier Pro to each skin of the door. Inner and outter. For best results, apply two layers.
2. Add a layer of Overkill or Overkill Pro on top of the Damplifier INSIDE the door to absorbe the internal reflections from the door speakers
3. Use Speaker Tweakers on top of the Overkill directly behind the door spoeaker to clean up the mid range.
4. Use a layer of OverKill or Overkill Pro on the back of the plastic upholstery to cushion the trim and kill rattles.
This is an amazing way to treat the doors.
One more way to improve on this method is to add a gallon of Spectrum to your order and spray it inside the doors in all the areas you are unable to reach with the Damplifier Pro.
For the Trunk and the floors install a layer of Damplifier Pro then on top of that use Luxury Liner Pro this is a mass loaded vinyl with the closed cell foam bonded to it.The foam side faces down.

Ken

monk36

forum member
Reaction score
Well I just got off the phone with Rick at raamat. Great guy. Just placed an order for a couple of packs of their mat, as well as a few yards of their foam based product. It should be in this week, so I'll work on it this weekend, and come back to report on the results. Rick was very helpful in explaining where I needed it most, and where to put each product, and made the choice easy.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back