SpankinTimes 2011 Mustang GT Build powered by Kenne Bell

Adam@ST

Official Vendor
Reaction score
This thread will show the progress of SpankinTime Motorsports 2011 GT upgrades from the powertrain to suspension, etc. I will be updating our build on our auto 2011 GT with each upgrade. As with all my cars in the past, I will push the stock powertrain to the limit to better serve my customers. The car is in stock form except for the Kenne Bell 2.8s L/C supercharger at this point and upgraded 60lb injectors due to fuel pressure restrictions of the new designed fuel system.
The install of the Kenne Bell kit was pretty straight forward considering we didnt have instructions, just some pictures for reference. The kit is actually easier to install than the previous 3v kits in our opinion. The Kenne Bell has increased the size of the intercooler core under the blower, as well as a new bigger aluminum heat exchanger. The new I/C designs along with Kenne Bells Liquid Cooled blower have helped tremendously and this setup has VERY low IAT's. I was making back to back pulls and was amazed with the iAT's. With the Kenne Bell at 11.9lbs peak boost, I was letting the car idle for everything to stabilze. The IATS were 122 degrees , as I started the run, the IATs dropped to 120 and at the end of the pull just touched 127 degrees. Kenne Bell took full advantage of the deeper valley of the Coyote engine, and the alternator no longer in the way. Great job on Kenne Bells parts to exploit the extra room Ford gave them.
Spark plugs...I did have a set of Brisk plugs, 1 range colder, but opted to keep the stock spark plugs in the car with stock gap. The boost level reached so far is 11.9lbs peak without any spark blowout issues. Nice to know we can keep the stock plugs in the car. I plan on installing these at the 14-15lb boost level .

On the tuning, I chose to tune the car with Diablo CMR, as I personally feel the Trinity is by far the easiest unit to operate and has a great variety of options. The screen easy to read,even for the trinitys small package. The options of the trinity for datalogging screens is also second to none. Best part, I will not have to install any gauges, as the trinity will allow for 5v inputs for boost and A/F and I can just use the supplied suction mount to hook it up to the windshield.
I have found some issues with tuning the car, and I expected them as the platform, and the software available are so new. I have figured out some of the issues, and learned quite abit . I feel we need some added parameters for datalogging, and Im sure we will see some updates with the software very soon.
I did some testing of the variable cam timing system with some good gains( Ill post a sheet). I will continue to re-work the cam tables this week, but so far I have made an +13 rwhp and +11 rwtq gain just with cam timing changes only and even showed a boost drop. Normally we would have to change a cam to achieve a boost drop, but these cams have alot of options for change. Im not sure how much further progress I will make with the cam changes, but I will know this week. We may not see a need for cams, who knows. Ill post a sheet of 2 runs, one with the cam change, one with stock settings.
I have over 100 miles on the car since yesterday and all I can say WOW!!! Ford did an awesome job with the powertrain of the car. Installing the Kenne Bell just knocked this car OUT OF THE PARK. My hat is off to the Kenne Bell team on a job well done. GT500 what????
I could easily just go full tilt and go for broke on the car, but I will upgrade in stages to give options to my customers for each level of power . By using this approach, which I always do, Ill be able to test /find strengths,weaknesses,restrictions and gains accomplished with mods for peoples varying budgets. Im hoping to cover all the stock powertrain stuff over the next 2-3 weeks. Then its a built engine and turn the boost up. Ill will max out the 2.8,then Ill install a Kenne bell 3.6lc that I already have here just waiting to climb under the hood. I also be racing the car at the strip as I move along with the build.

Chasis Dyno Numbers so far:
BASE PULL on the car 100% stock 347 rwhp 326 rwtq
Dyno numbers with the Kenne Bell SuperCharger
91 octane 551rwhp 433rwtq @7.6lbs boost peak -> +204rwhp +107rwtq
100 octane 617rwhp 495rwtq @11.9lbs boost peak-> +270rwhp+169rwtq
Engine flywheel horsepower with Kenne Bell supercharger.(est)
551 rwhp is 661 engine/flywheel HP
617 rwhp is 744 engine/flywheel HP

I want to add that all the knock sensor tables are STOCK and un-modified to keep the tune as safe as possible.

Things we will be testing/completing this week:
-we will be building a 93 octane tune for the people who have that fuel as an option. I will have those numbers up by Tuesday.
-Finish cam timing testing
-Kenne Bell 168 mm t-body dyno numbers as well as flow numbers . I will post the stock T-body flow numbers up as well.
-Kenne Bell optional heat exchanger (40% bigger than the one that comes in the kit) the data here will be more seen on the street and strip, but datalogged none the less.
-Roll bar as I know this is gonna be low 10's right out of the box.

Future Mods (very near future)
-Exhaust system
-American racing Headers. ARH have proven to make the most power on all our testing at West Tech and our shop cars.This may not happen til next week.
-Full suspension upgrade
-PI convertor (Vicky is working on one for us)
-Fuel system as needed..maybe sooner than later. Not sure yet.
-3.73 gear upgrade

Just for kicks I posted a sheet changing the pullies in 1/8 in increments.
The pulley comparison was done with the same tune ,just swapping pullies. Please keep in mind we are very busy at the shop, so its better to call us @909-388-2536 than expect to see us on the site through out the day. John and Brian should be able to answer most questions. Thanks Adam

Attachments

• 91 tune and 100 octane tune.JPG
    91 tune and 100 octane tune.JPG
    172.5 KB · Views: 160
  • cam table adjustment.JPG
    cam table adjustment.JPG
    169.1 KB · Views: 115
  • pulley comp testing.JPG
    pulley comp testing.JPG
    193.2 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:

Adam@ST

Official Vendor
Reaction score
re 3.6 and 4.2

Any plans to test the 3.6 or the 4.2?

I have a 3.6 LC sitting here for the 5.0, but the 4.2 is just too big. I wouldnt rec the 4.2 for anything smaller than a 400+cid engine. I have the 3.6 on my Challenger SRT8 with a 422 stroker. It made 965 rwhp, but I ran out of pulley options. I may test the 4.2 on the cChallenger next month, right now Im focusing on the 5.0 . The 3.6 will work on the 5.0, but you will have to twist it. Best thing going for the KB is the rotor profile. It will definitley get you to 7500-8000 rpms .
Its gonna be intresting over the next few weeks. Thanks Adam

Twinscrewgt

Bad Smurf
Reaction score
If people are running the 4.0 whipple on a 4.6 with good results, why would the 4.2 be to big for the 5.0?

also at what point do you guys plan to build the bottom end?

Last edited by a moderator:

Germeezy3

forum member
Reaction score
Wow that is pure insanity, 551 RWHP on 91 octane pump and 617 rwhp on 100 octane....I would imagine on E85 you would be looking at 650-670 rwhp .....WOW!

Adam@ST

Official Vendor
Reaction score
also at what point do you guys plan to build the bottom end?
I have a short block here, and I ordered rods and pistons. I dont plan on changing the engine until I get ready for the 3.6 LC. I have a new stock short block here ,and rods and pistons are due here early next week. I plan to push it to the limit ,so I dont expect to pull out a running engine. I am installing a diaper on the car to catch the parts if and when she lets loose.
Whike we are on this subject, whats the breaking point people have seen so far? Thanks Adam

Twinscrewgt

Bad Smurf
Reaction score
Not sure, JPCs car was rummored to break at 650rwhp with nitrous but was never confirmed. I actually dont know of anyone to has actually broke one of these motors yet..

Adam@ST

Official Vendor
Reaction score
If people are running the 4.0 whipple on a 4.6 with good results, why would the 4.2 be to big for the 5.0?

Bottom line, its what is practical....Its a give and take relationship with superchargers. The bigger SC will make more boost at lower speeds, so its hard to get the blower in its effieciency range in a street application. The bigger blower might work on the full race tuneup where the blower is being spun up . It takes alot of power to run a twin screw, so if you cant get the blower in its effieciency range, you are hurting yourself. The smaller supercharger will hit peak efficiency faster, so a bigger SC on low boost will be laggy.
Bottom line,if you cant use the blower speed of the bigger unit, its a waste in my opinion.
I havent had any experience with the larger 3.6 on the 4.6 platform as of yet, but I am installing one on my 05 Mustang. We just tore down my engine for a check up(the one that ran 9.20). I should have the car up and going in the next 2-3 weeks. Its a 8.0:1 302 3v with heads and cams, so we will see how the 3.6 does. I know we maxed the 2.8H out on Kens car @27.5lbs of boost 917 rwhp with a 4r70w. Thats an easy 980+with a stick trans. I tried to get Ken to do a 3.6, but its hard as hell to get the car to hook now.Heres a dyno sheet.
Something to think about, my 422 cid engine has seen 28lbs of boost with a 3.6, imgaine that on a 302 cubic in engine. 35-38 lbs+ easily. Gonna be intresting to see if the head gasket holds on the left bank. Ill have more on the 3v and 3.6 here in the future. The 4.2 I plan to try on my Challenger and Camaro as they have big cubes. Thanks Adam

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
Not sure, JPCs car was rummored to break at 650rwhp with nitrous but was never confirmed. I actually dont know of anyone to has actually broke one of these motors yet..

Strictly Performance has blown theirs up twice. Another post over at Corral.net about a guy who broke a ring land and is not forthcoming as to why.

I also heard a rumor about a member here who hurt his motor who is also forced induction. I will let that person come forward if they wish.

Take it with a grain of salt. All but 1 of those instances is rumor and I have no way to substantiate it.

That said, I "think" these motors will live with ~12lbs. of boost with the right tune safely.

Last edited:

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
The new 5.0 is a high reving engine, HP up top Torque sacrifice down low.

Hysteria

0 .· ` ' / ·. 30 psi
Reaction score
Possibly had a lot to do with the way Adam adjusted/retarded the cam timing.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Chasis Dyno Numbers so far:
BASE PULL on the car 100% stock 347 rwhp 326 rwtq
Dyno numbers with the Kenne Bell SuperCharger
91 octane 551rwhp 433rwtq @7.6lbs boost peak -> +204rwhp +107rwtq
100 octane 617rwhp 495rwtq @11.9lbs boost peak-> +270rwhp+169rwtq
Engine flywheel horsepower with Kenne Bell supercharger.(est)
551 rwhp is 661 engine/flywheel HP
617 rwhp is 744 engine/flywheel HP

20% power train loss? a bit much isn't it? even in an auto, the stock numbers show a 16% loss, yes the blower will sap some too but that would be accounted for prior to the drive train.

I just have a continually hard time buying (from a engineering stand point - which I'm not a engineer) the the same components take 65 HP to turn, take 127 hp to turn when the power is upped. The rwhp is up 78% but the drivetrain takes 127 hp a increase of 95%.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back