Spark blowout?

killswitch06GT

forum member
Reaction score
Ok so I have a on3 kit with the precision 6765 billet wheel on and im making about 8psi on this setup. Have autolite ht0 gapped .32 iirc. When I go wot the car "hiccups" for a brief moment and it seems to happen when I start to build boost. Does this sound like spark blow out? This may or mag not be related but ive also been having some rough idling and what sounds like missing. It only misses at idle though. Can I get some help? My afr' are relatively rich as well. Ive seen it go as low as 10.4.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk HD

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
No doesn't sound like blowout, blowout normaly would happen in the upper rpms with lots of boost and feels like the rev limiter. Like Marc mentioned your gap level is fine for that boost level. My guess would be a hiccup in the tune or a vac leak if your having fluctuating/rough idling and a/f is moving around as well.

Last edited:

killswitch06GT

forum member
Reaction score
The rpm at idle stays the same its just rough because its missing so much. Ill do a datalog and see if lito can help I guess. Ugh.

Hatchman

Stangless
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Got a fuel pressure gauge? What fuel setup are you running?

My fuel pressure takes a dip and stumbles exactly as you describe, and I'm running a BAP with stock pump and stock FPCM. I can watch the fuel pressure dip and tell how much it's going to stumble. Once the fuel pressure catches up, all is fine.

killswitch06GT

forum member
Reaction score
Aeromotive 340 pump from jeremy. I had problems before but it was addressed and fixed. Then again it was tundd on a on3 turbo and now I have on the precision. Will the precision flow more air on the same psi possibly causing this issue? Dont have a fp gauge.

Marc s

NASA AIX
Reaction score
Aeromotive 340 pump from jeremy. I had problems before but it was addressed and fixed. Then again it was tundd on a on3 turbo and now I have on the precision. Will the precision flow more air on the same psi possibly causing this issue? Dont have a fp gauge.

Changing the turbo didn't cause the problem. To simplify things, the MAF sends a signal based on airflow and adds/subtracts fuel as needed. I agree with Jeremy in regards to a vac leak or a tune issue. It might be as simple as a dirty MAF. You need to datalog it or put it on a chassis dyno so you can see what's going on when it happens.

killswitch06GT

forum member
Reaction score
lito sent me a config and a did a idle log for him. Waiting to hear back from him. Probably gonna do a wot log depending on what he says. ill check my maf sensor in the meantime.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I was lean after swapping to a billet turbo. Especialy in the midrange. I wouldn't immediately rule that out, I def reccommend a retune when switching from a cast wheel to a billet wheel turbo. My setup spooled 1500rpms faster and picked up over 100rwhp and 100rwtq at 3500rpms.

Last edited:

Marc s

NASA AIX
Reaction score
I was lean after swapping to a billet turbo. Especialy in the midrange. I wouldn't immediately rule that out, I def reccommend a retune when switching from a cast wheel to a billet wheel turbo. My setup spooled 1500rpms faster and picked up over 100rwhp and 100rwtq at 3500rpms.

I hear ya but it sounds like his miss is at idle and right at tip in off of idle.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I agree, but I was dangerously lean after the swap, so much as we had to let out on the dyno on the first pull bc it was stayin around 12.9-13.0 vice 11.8 which is what it was before with the old turbo. (Very likely due to the fact I was hitting full boost 1500 rpms sooner) So if he is driving around with the old tune with the billet turbo, he is very likely running lean while in boost on top of the issue he is having. Datalogging for lito is definetly a step in the right direction both ways.

SiriusB0neR

forum member
Reaction score
I had spark blow out at 8-10 psi but at 11 I was fine.
All I did was add a Boost a Spark problem solved

killswitch06GT

forum member
Reaction score
Well ive been watching the afrs and I stay on the rich side. I never get close to 12. Lito is out of town atm so itll be a while till I hear back. On another note I noticed my lights were getting brighfer when I revved the car. Think mayb my alt is bad again. Last time it was bad and I remem having a rough idle because of it. Sound like the cause?

Marc s

NASA AIX
Reaction score
Well ive been watching the afrs and I stay on the rich side. I never get close to 12. Lito is out of town atm so itll be a while till I hear back. On another note I noticed my lights were getting brighfer when I revved the car. Think mayb my alt is bad again. Last time it was bad and I remem having a rough idle because of it. Sound like the cause?

Very possible. Sometimes, a bad alternator will cause a missfire code.

GreenTerror

forum member
Reaction score
Got a fuel pressure gauge? What fuel setup are you running?

My fuel pressure takes a dip and stumbles exactly as you describe, and I'm running a BAP with stock pump and stock FPCM. I can watch the fuel pressure dip and tell how much it's going to stumble. Once the fuel pressure catches up, all is fine.

When this happens doesn't that mean you're running lean? Isn't this a bad situation that should be fixed?

killswitch06GT

forum member
Reaction score
When this happens doesn't that mean you're running lean? Isn't this a bad situation that should be fixed?

Im guessing ur asking him? I havent logged a wot pull yet but I doubt its my pump because as u said it would be lean and its actually really rich.

Hatchman

Stangless
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

It only does it sometimes at low RPMs when I floor it. It's intermittent and doesn't do it every time. Took it back to the tuner and emailed back and forth data logs several times. When on the dyno or on the street with tuner in the car datalogging in the passenger seat, it ran perfect (of course). Put in new spark plugs, fixed it for a little while. Cleaned the throttle body, fixed it for a little while, put in a TPS sensor, fixed it for a little while, emailed back and forth a new tune, fixed it for a little while, etc, etc. So I keep chasing the problem. Next will be a dual fuel pump assembly, and at least I'll know the pumps can handle the pressure. I only have 39lb injectors, so dual pumps should fix it... or not.

blown88coupe

forum member
Reaction score
I am having almost the same issue. It only happens at idle. Lito is worming eith me on my tune right now, I will say somethine to hime but it happened on stock tune also. Was thinking about switching to the brisk 1 step colder of the ht0 I have in now which are gapped at .032. Anythinb else to check out?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back