Spark Plug Experts, how do these plugs look to you? Possible #8 issue

NickS

slow3v
Reaction score
Definitely a ring/piston problem. Good luck getting it covered, it's not likely going to be. I hate to say it, but there's really no way of getting around it. If he bought it from a dealer and the dealer sold it with a warranty implied, then he might have a leg to stand on. As it is, where you bought it from a private seller, Ford doesn't care how many people owned it, all they care about is, tune = SOL.

Ouch, is that really the stance they are taking on this or is this speculation? That would really bite. Better get ready to :asskiss1:

speedfreak316

Reaction score
Im jusy about ready to take the plunge and but an 2011 5.0 but this #8 issue is seriously scaring me away maybe i should just go back to plan B and get an 03/04 cobra.

Weou09

forum member
Reaction score
Tell him to trade it in stock then Ill buy it and is aftermarket parts and when #8 goes Ill be like WTF!?!?!? lol Wonder what they would say...

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You don't by chance have access to a good borescope do you? If not, I would take it to a mom/pop garage that does and have it looked at but I'm betting that #8 is toast.

Entrenched

forum member
Reaction score
The first plug looked lean to me, and that #8 looks gone. Sorry...

DTony

forum member
Reaction score
I went out and pulled my #8 after seeing the one in this post. Here's a reference for you to compare.
This motor has 1800 miles on it. Never ran hard on the street or when hot. I have 40 or so 1/4 mile passes on it. The car has never had anything but Shell 93 and a 93 street tune. Boss intake, Steeda cai, gears and converter.
As mentioned it's hard to read a plug thats been driven on. My Af's are 11.40 to 11.9 at WOT.

IMG_1951.jpg

ngnichols

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, the OP's buddies car is toast or at least getting ready to be. Oil on a plug is no bueno no matter what the situation is.

Has anyone ever taken a poll of all of the #8 victims to see how their vehicles were tuned? i.e. canned tunes vs. actual dyno tunes

I'd be willing to bet that a majority of the people seeing this issue are running canned tunes.

Redfire_WNL

THE BEAST UNLEASHED!
Reaction score
Seriously rethinking that 5.0 swap next summer, hopefully they find a solution to this so I can be comforted.

tbi0904

forum member
Reaction score
I still haven't seen enough real (i.e. interwebz lies) evidence to say "fuck a coyote." I've seen cars with tunes eat #8. I'm sorry but that is way to common a denominator to crucify an engine over. Sucks for 94tbird's buddy though. It would be nice to know what tune he had and when it was loaded, etc.

Dubermun

Reaction score
Have any N/A cars with a DYNO tune and mods( CAI, headers, exaust ) had this issue or is it only canned tunes?
The sky may be falling but I think we need more info on this matter.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back