Spark Plug Experts, how do these plugs look to you? Possible #8 issue

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
This is one of my buddies plugs from his 5.0 GT. Whats your take here?

IMG_20110809_153017.jpg

IMG_20110809_153021.jpg

KungFuHamster

forum member
Reaction score
i dont like the oily residue on the first few threads. all the threads i ever pulled were clean and dry....except on the cylinders that had no seal :(

other than i think it looks a little lean.

from what i remember being taught about reading plugs, the best way to do it is immediately shutting the motor down after a WOT pass, towing the car back to the pits and pulling them. of course they may not be viable atm lol

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
apparently that wasnt #8, that was passenger side rear which i believe is #4. Here is #8, drivers side rear. I asked for better, more detailed pics than this.

IMG_20110809_183356.jpg

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
apparently that wasnt #8, that was passenger side rear which i believe is #4. Here is #8, drivers side rear. I asked for better, more detailed pics than this.

IMG_20110809_183356.jpg

Ruh roh!!!

I had a reply all typed out on the first pic and had said the electrode would look like crap if the cylinder was shot.

THAT cylinder looks like it's done!

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
he might be having the problem. theres smoke coming from the motor when you let off the gas, cant really see anything when your in the throttle. hes afraid to drive it.

Heres the kicker. He bought the car used from a member of another mustang site, the car had a tune, and a CAI when he bought it. Obviously the car is under warranty, but i feel a fight coming on from ford.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yeah that doesn't look good (of course) and more then likely #8 is gone.

I had some plugs looks really black one time when the car was missing, as a result of getting water under the spark plug boots---but it was a "dry" black, as in the spark plug not firing and looking extremely rich.

This obviously looks "wet" with oil all over it. Replace the plug, drive it around the block, and pull the new plug and see if it looks the same (which it probably will) which means #8 for sure.

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
If he plans on taking it into a dealer for warranty he needs to return it to stock, flash it back to stock, then drive it for a few hundred easy miles to reset the duty cycle then plead that he had no idea the car ever had an aftermarket tune. Hopefully with him being the second owner it might work out for him.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
Definitely a ring/piston problem. Good luck getting it covered, it's not likely going to be. I hate to say it, but there's really no way of getting around it. If he bought it from a dealer and the dealer sold it with a warranty implied, then he might have a leg to stand on. As it is, where you bought it from a private seller, Ford doesn't care how many people owned it, all they care about is, tune = SOL.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back