Spec 2+ noise when engaging

Rypper1

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I had a Spec 2+ Clutch and Spec steel flywheel installed about 500-600 miles ago. Lately it occasionally makes a screech or squeal when engaging. I just changed the fluid and bled the system and it is still doing it. Anyone have this happen? Also the clutch is engaging about an inch off the floor. Been doing that since day one. I have tried rebleeding but didn’t help. Any ideas for either?

Thanks

Last edited:

Rypper1

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Did they shim the flywheel? New pilot bearing?

Spec says that no shim is needed when you use their flywheel. Might not be correct but that is what they say. Maybe I need to put one to get the pedal up off the floor.
Yes a new pilot bearing was used. I guess it could have gone bad though. Guess I need to get in touch with the shop that did the work.

Oh, it doesn't do it every time. Just sometimes, seems like the frequency is increasing though.

Thanks

lostsoul

2014 vett or 2015 stang..
Reaction score
your right about the shim.. just wanted to make sure you didnt install one. I have the same setup, but not sure why you would be having issues after 500+ mile. Did you break it in "nicely?" ;-)

Rypper1

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
your right about the shim.. just wanted to make sure you didnt install one. I have the same setup, but not sure why you would be having issues after 500+ mile. Did you break it in "nicely?" ;-)
Yes, actually I did take it easy on break in. No slamming of the gears or anything like that. I did make a few full power pulls but took it easy on the shifts.

Thanks

Hatchman

Stangless
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sound like you did it right, no sim with their flywheel, easy break in, and new pilot bearing. I put in a new clutch throwout/slave cylinder (if you can call it that) while I was in there. I've heard sometimes, the added pressure of an aftermarket clutch while cause that stock slave cylinder to fail with the added pressure of an aftermarket pressure plate with beefier springs, and as far as I know, there is not an aftermarket replacement for it.

Have you had to add any fluid? See any leaking through the bottom?

I've never heard any squeal with mine, sounds more like sandpaper rubbing on metal when I engage it.

I would take it back to the shop and see what they thought. At least get it on the lift and look for a leak.

Rypper1

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sound like you did it right, no sim with their flywheel, easy break in, and new pilot bearing. I put in a new clutch throwout/slave cylinder (if you can call it that) while I was in there. I've heard sometimes, the added pressure of an aftermarket clutch while cause that stock slave cylinder to fail with the added pressure of an aftermarket pressure plate with beefier springs, and as far as I know, there is not an aftermarket replacement for it.

Have you had to add any fluid? See any leaking through the bottom?

I've never heard any squeal with mine, sounds more like sandpaper rubbing on metal when I engage it.

I would take it back to the shop and see what they thought. At least get it on the lift and look for a leak.

Yep, changed the slave cylinder too. Even changed the bolts and all. This is definitely a squeal or screech. Sounds like metal on metal. The only thing I can think of is the pilot bearing. I just hope it hasn't messed anything up. Gonna try to call the shop tomorrow. I even went back and basically replaced the fluid with DOT4 by vacuuming it out and refilling. Went through two 12 oz cans of fluid. Still not completely clear but has a very slight tint to it now. This is really pissing me off. Got a new turbo and a new clutch and I am scared to hammer it cause I don't want to break anything. :furious:

Rypper1

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I called Spec today and asked about my clutch. I talked to Matt in Tech. He didn't tell me to bleed it again, probably because I told him that it had been done numerous times. He said that he did not think that my clutch was completely seated and the occasional on/of and squealing was from the high spots still on the clutch. He asked if the squeal lessened when the clutch warmed up and I agreed, he stated he was sure that it just needed a little more mileage on it and a little more aggressive driving. He suggested that I don't start banging on it yet but start giving it more aggressive launches and make sure I down shift when slowing down. If this fixes the problem or not really doesn't matter, my warranty will be long gone. So if it doesn't fix it I am sure I will not get much help from Spec.

Oh, and mine was installed by the best local transmission shop that handles a lot of race car trannys. I swear I think there is an design problem with the 2+ from Spec.

Randy

lostsoul

2014 vett or 2015 stang..
Reaction score
I have heard many (me too) running with them without issue. IT could be just a bad clutch.. tell them to send you another ASAP

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back