Speed Ventures @ Auto Club Speedway 5-3-2015

claudermilk

Reaction score
LOL, not aggressive enough? :jester: Any more aggressive & you'll be completely airborne! That's just a bit more aggressive than I've been running.

I did get the vbo file all set up with video. I ran across a method of calculating a faux braking pressure channel I'm messing with to see if that helps. I know a proper OBD channel would definitely help--just messing around to see if mathing one up from longitudinal g & speed can be helpful at all.

2008 V6

forum member
Reaction score
LOL, not aggressive enough? :jester: Any more aggressive & you'll be completely airborne! That's just a bit more aggressive than I've been running.

I did get the vbo file all set up with video. I ran across a method of calculating a faux braking pressure channel I'm messing with to see if that helps. I know a proper OBD channel would definitely help--just messing around to see if mathing one up from longitudinal g & speed can be helpful at all.

- When we do meet, I'm going to pick your brain on your current data retrieval setup :whistling:

claudermilk

Reaction score
No problem. It's actually starting to work now.

Hardware:

Software:

The ScanTool MX is a bit spendy compared to the eBay/Amazon cheapie blue or orange label ELM327 readers, but it works very well. I have an orange label reader that just up and died, so went ahead & sprung for the better unit. It seems to have a more reliable, faster read rate.

The Garmin is a 10hz GPS antenna and gives MUCH better location data than the internal 1hz one in the phone. Well worth the $99 spent.I can actually see the line on track map overlays that is reasonably close to what I remember running. Not the same as a pro race team's feeds, but it isn't $2k+ either.

I have a nice phone holder--that I forget where I got it or the brand--that plugs into the dash 12V socket. On the '13 that is centered between the AC vents--a perfect location.

RaceChrono is set up to auto link to the OBD & GPS devices on BlueTooth. Start a session, pick the track (optional) and let it do it's thing. Once you're done with the session, you can export to several formats. I export to csv for RaceRender and vbo for Circuit Tools.

I'm using the GoPro app to remote-control the cameras--which is iffy right now. There is a 3rd party app GoPro Cam Suite by Pocket Lifestyle I'm going to play with; it seems to handle switching between multiple GoPro cameras more easily. Also, RaceChrono just added the capability to link to one GoPro & he's working on fleshing that out more.

Once all the files are loaded on the Windows PC, I have a couple of options. Right now I run the GoPro files through their Studio program to apply a little post-processing for a nicer picture. Then RaceRender to jam the multiple files into one and render the gauges. When I have access to my main PC again, I'll go back to using Pinnacle Studio (a robust video editor) to do the post-processing & merging and just use RaceRender to generate gauges, etc on a green screen. That gets me the nice YouTube videos.

I'm just getting going on the Circuit Tools part. There is a thread on the RaceChrono forum with a how-to for hacking the vbo file to get your GoPro video linked up. I've also found that while doing that edit in Excel, you can generate any kind of math channel you desire. Right now I'm trying a faux brake pressure one based on speed & longitudinal G. I'm also watching a webinar recording from AIM Autosports on Vimeo covering using telemetry by Roger Caddell. He has some interesting math channels I want to play with.

So, I finally have the tools in place. Now I have to get better at the routine to get things going before a session (note I don't have session 1 or 4 uploaded--no main video and only interior PIP on session 2). Then once I have all the data, figure out how to utilize it. Making progress.

2008 V6

forum member
Reaction score
I just got an e-mail from Speed Ventures - Auto Club 8/8 - 8/9/15 - Are you going?
I just re-read my tips and it is so full of typing mistakes that I can't believe it. I didn't think all the drugs affected me to that extent. My Salmonella battle lasted just over 6 weeks. Never knew what pleasure a normal bowel movement provided - More info anyone needs to know.
I hope the Auto Club info helps you out - It is correct accept for spelling, punctuation, Wrong terminology and turn 5 designation. It is what it is. Try the new lines out and I know you will pick up 3 seconds. Stay safe.
I will not be there.
If ya want PM me

claudermilk

Reaction score
Yep, I'm registered for Sunday purple group. I have my notes from your excellent reply and Dave's tips (and I'm sure there's a couple of others I'm forgetting right now). If anyone else reading will be there, I'll be the blue '13 GT #710 & will be in a garage.

I do have the Watson 4-pt bar set up and 6-pt harnesses ready to go. Even have a new GoPro to stick on the bar for hopefully a better view of what I'm doing inside the car. Saturday will be fun--finding out if the race wheels will fit in the car or if I'm driving to & from on them. I also need to decide if I want to drive in on the XP pads or try switching there again. I have time, but it makes the morning a bit hectic & I have to arrive as close to gate open as i can.

2008 V6

forum member
Reaction score
Yep, I'm registered for Sunday purple group. I have my notes from your excellent reply and Dave's tips (and I'm sure there's a couple of others I'm forgetting right now). If anyone else reading will be there, I'll be the blue '13 GT #710 & will be in a garage.

I do have the Watson 4-pt bar set up and 6-pt harnesses ready to go. Even have a new GoPro to stick on the bar for hopefully a better view of what I'm doing inside the car. Saturday will be fun--finding out if the race wheels will fit in the car or if I'm driving to & from on them. I also need to decide if I want to drive in on the XP pads or try switching there again. I have time, but it makes the morning a bit hectic & I have to arrive as close to gate open as i can.
Try Carbotecs in the future. Drive them to the track even from Arizona. 10s no problem with ducts removed - Rotor friendly. I never tried a more aggressive compound. I didn't need the higher working temps with my slower speeds.
My brake ducting is very efficient. I made large fiberglass funnel ducts that attached to my front bumper with almost completely straight 3" ducting made of solid tubing and flexible hose. The pads are expensive but you can switch between compounds with only a minor scuffing of the rotor surface. Put temp stickers on your calipers and paint your rotors with temperature sensitive paint to help you to pick the heat range for your brake pads.
Have fun. I won't be having car fun until next year. $$$$$ problems

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Carbotechs = don't waste your track day time swapping pads in paddock.

XP's at least as far up as 10's are reasonably to decently street-drivable and even the cold bite isn't bad (cold to me meaning down in the 20°'s F or high teens). Actually, the first couple of stops the morning after your track day will probably feel worse than any other time if you ran them year round (short of actually fading them on the track).

Somewhere I have a picture of XP8's all heat-checked/cracked after 4 or 5 track days, so you should probably start looking higher than that.

Norm

claudermilk

Reaction score
LOL, guys I HAVE Carbotechs. ;) Bobcats for the street, and XP10/8 for the track. I'll take your advice and swap them over when prepping Saturday; I'll take the Bobcats & tools and decide if I want to swap back at the end of the day before heading home.

I've seen Terry's posts showing the Alcon stickers he uses & have considered getting some. I also have plans for brake ducting (already have the hi-temp hose). Brake cooling is the next mod on the list. Thus far, I haven't had any brake temp issues, but that won't last as I push harder.

2008 V6

forum member
Reaction score
Without ducting - Be careful. Our boats are heavy and Auto Club is a faster track.

I used 10s front & rear with very efficient front ducts. I would get 3 tack days at the most – I didn’t run a more aggressive compound because of my expensive front rotors. Even with me knowing a rep – Expensive for a street car. Without ducts, I would get fading – Streets of willow. I used the Streets of Willow for all my testing. CW & CCW cheap test days and a fun little course.
The Streets of willow is slower track.

For your V8 everything should be an over the counter purchase. (Basic kit) Use straight tube running up into your tire well with a 60 degree bend for flexible tube going to your tire. Only a small vertical dimple is necessary for tire clearance on the solid tube when properly mounted. (Full lock tire clearance) Straight tube flows exceedingly well compared to flexible. Keep the overall length short as possible and the flexible tube length to a minimum. I made overly large funnels that attached to the back of my front bumper tapering down to 3” tube. I feel it forces much more air than the standard 3” cut out opening does. You can’t see it from the front of the car. I dremmeled the lower grill openings so the air could pass but would block the larger debris. Modify your backing plate accordingly so all of the air is forced though not around. I purchased mine and spent 4+ hours modifying them. I could have made better ones in less time.
In this heat wave, I would consider an oil cooler. I mounted mine so the front license plate would block most of the air going to it. License plate removed when on track. I also ran a remote Mocal 190 degree thermostat.
I suggest tow hooks. Mine screw in behind the license plate – hidden. I made mine over kill but I should be able to suspend the entire car in the air if the bumper beams don’t pull off. If you do track your car always plan for the worst and pray it never happens.
Have fun and post your results.

After thinking about it - Give yourself leeway for your brake zones at Auto Club - No Ducts = BIG brake fade. Even with the longer straights, your brakes probably won't have enough time to cool. Braking into 5 and especially 9 fast entry decreasing radius not a lot of run off room. Everything else should have tons of run off room.
Check your brake fluid between runs for discoloration - Boiling

Last edited:

claudermilk

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. As I mentioned, so far I haven't run into brake fade yet--I'm still not pushing the car quite that hard, but am slowly getting there.

My plan for the ducts is to get the OEM Boss302 (nee California Special foglight) bezels that fit in the lower corners of the bumper. Blowfish Racing has a nice bracket for attaching a 3" hose, then finish off with the Vorshlag disk backing plates. I already have 11' of 3" hi-temp hose.

I do have plans for an oil cooler. I don't run a front plate at all (yes, I know, but only one fix-it over 3 cars & 20 years and this car never got the bumper drilled), so the lower grille is free for this. I am looking at a Setrab HE, a sandwich plate at the oil filter & a thermostat there. I think it's about $1400-ish for all the parts.

I know a tow hook is overdue. Again, plans for that. The Blowfish front which will require minimal cutting on the grille. For the rear I am considering a hidden hitch setup for an eventual tire/tool trailer, then have a tow hook insert for on track.

See? I've been paying attention and reading a ton here. Then doing a lot of thinking, planning & research. I've got a long list of mods all queued up, just need the time & funds to make it all happen. Safety mods are at the top of the list, more go-faster stuff is lower down; the loose nut behind the wheel needs some adjustment & to catch up with the car as it is first.

For the track, I'm not as worried about 5--lots of runoff there. Same goes for 2 (whole oval back straight). Turn 9 is the scary one. The car is already under some lateral load from the 7/8 chicane and there is not much runoff before that wall. This is one of my main focus points for this weekend; I need to change my line there. I think it was Dave who mentioned I need to straighten the line between 8 & 9 (I'm tracking out to the edge & following the curve like seemingly everyone else does). One other place that keeps my thinking is tracking out onto the front straight; I'm not thrilled with the transition to the banking & am not sure of the best way to get there--track out right away & get it done with, or hold the car in a little longer & transition closer to pit in where it's a little smoother.

I will certainly start a new thread after the event. It will likely take most of the week to get to editing the video down--though my overall process is getting better. I've played more with the tools I mentioned earlier in the thread & have a better grasp of them now. There's even single-lap lightweight analysis on the serious-racing.com site. For example, here's the fast lap of the event I posted this thread about: ACS 5-3-2015 Session 2, lap 2 - 2:02.26

Oh, BTW I skimmed the thread a bit. I messed with that faux-brake-pressure idea and it has potential, but on the data from this last session it's useless. My cheap phone mount is fine for street driving, but is too shaky for the track. So I invested in a RAM Mount holder that so far seems rock-solid. I hope to get cleaner accelerometer data from the phone this time.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back