Spring ?'s

Bizzyb0nes

forum member
Reaction score
I'm driving myself bonkers trying to figure out what spring to do with. I have bilstein hd's ready for install, I have lowering springs now...but the front is a little low, and the back is a little high...so new spring time before it gets put together and I bring these suspension mods to a finish. (or atleast what I was planning).

Anybody have real world experience with any of the following springs...

FRPP
Eibach Pro Kit
H&R Race
Steeda Ultralite + Sports

I like the look of slammed, but its not practical and causes to many handling problems...I care about ride quality to a degree, but previously didnt find H&R race springs on a previous car to bad. Its a daily driver that will see a few open track events a year at best, but when its on the track, I would like the car's potential to be there. Nobody lists spring rates ect for the s197's...so Im hoping you guys will have info on each spring. Any info you guys would have is gonna be greatly appreciated as my decision needs to be made soon.

Croft

It's GOOOOOOO Time
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
FRPP K springs.............love them! The look is perfect IMO and handles just as well. I also drive my car quite a bit and take it to the track.

Croft

It's GOOOOOOO Time
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
There are definitely plenty of options to go with for these cars. Obviously it all boils down to what you want to spend...................

06GTMustang89

Corner Carver
Reaction score
QA1 Coilovers if front..with a roush spring and QA1 rear shocks...hehehe

I love spending peoples money....

but seriously..to answer your question..i know guys that run all of those springs and they love them...so its personal preference on brand i think..

Last edited:

Sam Strano

forum member
Reaction score
and now im reading very nice things about bmr springs...to many choices and need to decide soon

Ahhhh, no. In fact they aren't really any stiffer than stock, but lower--which means you just ride around on your bumpstops a lot. If what you hear is someone saying "I did X and they are good" remember that most folks have no sense of comparison or experience.

Pro-kit and FRPP springs are the same. H&R Race springs are WAY too stiff for both the HD's to damp correctly and for a daily driven car. I have much experience on those (have a set on my car because of it's autoxing use right now with Koni Sports). the FRPP's/Eibach's (been running a Shelby GT for 3 years on those springs, and Steeda's springs as I'm a Steeda Wholesale distributor.

I have no idea what springs you have on the car now, which would be nice to know.

I keep Sports and Ultralites in stock because they just work, are readily available and priced fairly. Also made by reputable companies you have heard of (and some of the springs mentioned here are made by companies you have never heard of... and I'm not talking about Eibach or H&R).

I have knowledge of the rates, height and how each of these springs work--also the HD damping.

Reaction score
I like the look of slammed, but its not practical and causes to many handling problems...I care about ride quality to a degree, but previously didnt find H&R race springs on a previous car to bad. Its a daily driver that will see a few open track events a year at best, but when its on the track, I would like the car's potential to be there. Nobody lists spring rates ect for the s197's...so Im hoping you guys will have info on each spring. Any info you guys would have is gonna be greatly appreciated as my decision needs to be made soon.

Well, I'm fairly sure you are going to get some rake with pretty much anything I've seen out there. So unless you want to go coilovers or ghetto chop it...

Sam makes a good point that many people don't have experience with every part, but I've had good experience with frpp/eibach. I track my car often and it serves me well enough. Is there better out there? Probably. But you wouldn't know or care enough to go hounding for it unless you are a mod fiend. I'm doing extremely well with them until I pony up the dough for some coilovers..which is near the bottom of my needs list right now. I'm going to run them at least one more season.

There is an extensive spring rate thread if you scroll down in the corner carver section.

Bizzyb0nes

forum member
Reaction score
I have the Stangsuspension series 2 springs, 250lb F/210 R, progressive rate. I got them for $60 shipped when they were closing down, so I decided to try them...its got to big of a rake for me...the front is slammed, the back is way up...I measured on a flat surface, the ass sits up 1 full inch higher...and its way more noticable now with the change of wheels to the pentars. Sam made the suggestion of Steeda springs, which were the top of my list (ultralites specifically). I know the car will handle worse slammed, even though it looks good bc i was half way leaning toward hr super sports as I had them on a few sn95's and loved them, but perhaps i dont know any better.

I'd like to think I have more of a clue then most...i've had 10 mustangs, all of which i've played with the suspension...been through eibachs, H&R race and SS springs, saleen's eibachs/bilstein setup. I know I hated eibachs on the older cars, so it kind of steers me away from them now, even though the s197 is a totally different car, and its probably unfair. I had MMR coil overs on bilsteins and it rode very nice on my mystic cobra, but I could care less, and the 05's are mcpherson setup, so its not so much of a big deal like on previous stangs to go coil over. I've never had BMR or Vogtland springs...but knowing the quality stuff Steeda makes, it seems like the logical choice even though i'd like the car to be a bit lower from a visually appealing aspect.

Marc s

NASA AIX
Reaction score
I have the H&R race springs with Koni's on my 08. Corner speed is greatly improved, brake dive and squat is eliminated and the car can go from slight understeer to neutral with a little throttle input or trail braking. The springs almost eliminated the understeer that is engineered into the S197 because the rear spring rate is greater than the fronts. Rear sway bar diameter/rates can be modified to do the same thing. However, I found that I have had good results with the stock bars with my spring and shock set-up. That being said, these springs are noticeably stiffer on the street. I like the way it rides but, my wife hates it. She drives a luxury car so ride is all very subjective. The stock spring rates are 136/inch front and 142/inch rear. According to the H&R spec sheet, the H&R race spring rates are 300/inch front and 375/inch rear. I won every auto-X in my class this year with this set-up and the car is very well balanced during track days. I also have other suspension mods that contributed to this.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have the bilstein hd's with the frpp k-springs and love it, very nice setup.

Sam Strano

forum member
Reaction score
I also have H&R Race's on my car currently. I run my swaybars with them, not stock. Front bar is 35mm, currently set full soft, and the rear is 22mm (both are hollow) and it's set in the middle with those springs.

I believe you have the rates wrong Mark, they are about 300 front 275 rear, not 375. And that sort of front to rear split is quite common with the S197. I haven't rated them myself, but I'm quite sure they are not 375 rear. They are really firm on the street. I will probably do a set of springs that are just a touch softer and taller because the car isn't nearly as good on bumps at it could be--but the balance is excellent.

That said, the H&R's are beyond what a set of Bilstein HD's will be happy damping for the long term so those weren't considered for long..... Also don't think they are fine for daily driving---they are too stiff for me daily driving frankly. Liveable, but not what I'd prefer (hence the reason I'm looking at doing what I did for f-bodies and have my own springs made, just like I did bars.... it's what I do when I'm not 100% satisfied with available options). When I think something is sufficient I don't build parts as I have no reason to try and reinvent the wheel.

YMMV, but I'm looking at the combination of parts on the car, or will be on the car, and the use. If Bizzy would like to discuss H&R Race's ok, but at about 2.5 times stock rates, they are well beyond what the Bilstien's will be happy damping and again I think are too stiff for most folks on primarily street cars. I needed more rate than what other springs offered, which is the only reason I'm currently on those springs (weren't my first choice, but had to switch for balance reasons). But I'm not enamored with them, and long term won't be staying on them (but am for the time being).

MHO.

Bizzyb0nes

forum member
Reaction score
I feel the h&r race springs may be a bit much...if I end up going all out later they would be an option. I'm looking for a really good street car that will do well on a track day....leaning hard on steeda ultralites to be the best of both worlds...I know that's Sam's opinion for my setup...and with his reputation I'm inclined to listen to him...thanks everyone!

Last edited:

RedMosesSC

Reaction score
Steeda sits a bit lower in the rear, leveling off the car (1.0" F /"1.25" R), i have a clearance issues with my car and NYC potholes in general are suck! I occasionally hit my trimmed bump stops in the rear on big bumps and pot holes but the front has has no clearance issues at all, even with the super steep garage entry. I have the Steeda sport springs, they are stiff but doable on the street.

Bizzyb0nes

forum member
Reaction score
Sam said teh ultralites are a tad stiffer then sports, and a 1.25inF/1.5inR drop...which should be just about where I want it in stiffness and ride height.....roades here in charleston are pretty good

Marc s

NASA AIX
Reaction score
The spring rates I included in my post for the H&R races are what the rep at H&R told me they were. I should have checked them before installing them in case I wanted to raise/lower the rates with different springs if these did not perform well.

Sam Strano

forum member
Reaction score
Well, I think he had it wrong. Way wrong. Not only would they be the only springs that are stiffer in the rear, it would be by a MASSIVE margin. There are many more working coils in the rear, and the wire diameter itself is smaller than the fronts (but the spring diameter is also smaller making up some of that rate). I am sure we are looking at 300/275 ish working rates. Most lowering springs are in/around the 200-240 front rate and 175-220 rear rate range. Some are more skewed to the front, nobody, including Ford is anywhere near 20% stiffer biased to the rear...

I know that's what H&R told you, but I'm sure that's a mistake.

Marc s

NASA AIX
Reaction score
Your probably correct Sam, this will bug me enough that I will have to call them tomorrow so I can know for sure.

rocketpants

forum member
Reaction score
Instead of creating another thread, I figured I would ask it here...

I'm looking to lower my car but I don't want the ride to be harsher/bumpier...most likely a slight drop...which springs would be right for me? Thanks guys

Reaction score
Instead of creating another thread, I figured I would ask it here...

I'm looking to lower my car but I don't want the ride to be harsher/bumpier...most likely a slight drop...which springs would be right for me? Thanks guys

Are you keeping your stock shocks?

Last edited:
Back